+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: House Moving

House Moving

jimtx, I would move your butt and ask, you just cant loose. The people living there might have a contract with the realtor as to exclude certain items on the property.

I know when we moved, we had listed certain specimen plants that we needed for propigation to be added to the contract.

Jim I regret it know but if we werent in so much in a hurry I would of taken the Rocky Mountain Blue Spruce. The only memories I have of it are photos.

Jim the idiots took a saw and cut it down. What about the rose bushes that were over twenty years old, but too old to remove that they wouldnt servive. Yes they were ripped out to make room for a car. These were old favourites like American Beauty etc. These people live a block away from a huge Nursery that would pay them big$$$ for it and sell it to some big shot.

Jim your call, but people will tear out what they dont know. George B

Talking Moving

George,

I am moving ... u just can't see it

Nothing will happen on that house until closing which will be middle of July to first of Aug. I am going through all "proper" channels on this ... it is on main drag of town .. and very close to police station. I am not looking for a vacation ... courtsey of the county!!! House has already been broken into .... and police are watching the property. And, at night ... (best time for late shopping!) police patrol with the K-9 units ... and I don't run as fast as I use to run.

Jim

I've got some Sweet Pea seeds

Cathy,
    Send me your address privately and I will send you some, if you like, I have a few seeds left over and my seedlings are about a foot tall now.
    Mine are just annuals, but I LOVE them! What you describe does not sound like Sweet Peas to me at all. I grow these often and mine have round leaves with little tendrils coming out where the leaf does to help it climb up and hold on to something. The ones I have have Pink, Blue, Rose, Salmon, Lilac, Maroon and White flowers all on the same plant. And thr fragrance, to die for.. They hold up great as a cut flower as well. Mine have to have something to grow up on though as it is a vining type and grow to about 6'. The blooms have 3-4 ruffled petals.. I have seen bush types, is that what you are talking about? Can you describe it better?
    George, I know and can relate to how you feel. I used to live on 4 acres out in the country. When I first moved there, there was not a single flower, shrub or tree on the property and I had very little money to do anything about it, but was excited about having this blank canvas to work with..lol.
    The house sat back down a long driveway, very large front , side and back lawn, weeds, dandelions, well you get the picture. The first year I started double digging with a shovel, a 4' deep bed along one side of the house on the fence line. (Now the fence ran from the road back about 500' to the barn) Only got about 75' done that first year and put in the perennials I had brough with me. That year I also dug a 4' bed around the entire house and bought a few perennials here and there and friends gave me some too. I also raided some of the family's flower beds that I had put in for them previously...tee hee. (That is one of the good reason to be generous to begin with )
    The house sat on a gentle hill and I dug and put in a brick sidewalk and steps as well. There was a woods a few fields back behind my house and like a ninny, I kept thinking about all them tees not being appreciated..lol. I called the owner of the property and asked if I might go back there and dig up a few small trees for my property and I think he thought I was nuts, but he chuckled and said SURE.. No roads leading to this woods, so I take my wheel barrow and drag it through two fields of corn stalk leftovers from the previous years (just picture it!), over three fences to the woods and back with the trees. And yes, when I got to the fences with the trees, it was not fun to get them over the fences..lol. I did this three years in a row, three times a Spring to bring back three small trees. I had to do this because every year only one or two survived..
    ANYWAY, by the end of 5 years, I had my fences on both sides of the driveway full of perennials that I had divided and spread down further to fill in, divided and spread down, etc. etc. etc. as well as beds all around the house, a circle herb garden in the back etc.
    I moved from there on my 7th year and took very little with me as I was moving into an apartment and had no room for it all. The new owners removed every single flower in both beds along the fence, dug up the trees around the property and removed all shrubs.. Makes me sick every time I drive by there and remember how it used to look when I lived there. I heard that the new owners wanted a NO MAINTENANCE yard, so I guess they have one now.
    Oh well, to each his own.. I sure would have liked to know they were going to remove everything as I would have russtled everything out and given it to ANYONE..
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries

Flower Rustling..one woman's story

Well, today oppportunity knocked. I left the house intending to buy a pair of shorts for my vacation and at the last second tossed a trowel and 2 large pots into the car. On the way back fromthe store I passed that house I mentioned that is now zoned commercial and which had tons of lilies/irise. Anyway I saw a car parked on the adjoining side street. The trunk was open and I saw buckets. I figured I'd better make my move. I encountered the gentleman who was there holding a shovel. I said,'Great minds think alike; are you here for theflowers?" He said no he was there for the sand. Cool, no competition. He said he had called the realtor, that they really weren't keen on people trapsing on the property moreo because of the potential for injury as it is a construction site. He lives nearby and offered to show me the landscaping. Oh my gosh what a gorgeous place. It was like the woods. There were trees with 4 foot wide trunks(if they cut them I'll cry). And ponds in the back. I couldn't find any dang lilies or irises. He thought maybe it was because they had run the minibulldozer over the front. I did find Purple Wintercreeper, Varigated Liriotrope and Coneflowers and a few Junipers. Not bad I'll be back there after vacation.

Ok, I tried to keep quiet about the "plant collecting" or "rescuing" but I can't do it anymore. Maybe its just me, but I have a limit for collecting-without-asking. If it won't grow back after I'm gone, I don't do it. Seeds and cuttings of something overhanging the street or sidewalk (or at least from within reach), seems ok to me. Anything on someone's property is off limits in my book. Also, unless I have permission, I don't dig up anything whole. I didn't used to have this attitude, but when I bought some cleared undeveloped land, my attitude changed. I started planting trees and shrubs, started from seed. I hoped that 4 or 5 years after I bought it, the land would have some noticable trees. I probably planted somewhere around 300 trees and shrubs over the last 3 years. Of those, I have somewhere around 30 that have survived, only because the grass grew up to hide them before "collectors" came in and collected them. Of course, to be fair, that only accounted for about half of them. The other half went to "vandals" who wanted to run the new owner off "their" ATV lot. There is no such thing as abandoned land in this country. Someone always owns it. Sorry to be so harsh. I'm sure everyone here can understand the pain that the theft and/or destruction of seedlings nurtured from seed of specially selected trees, coaxed into germination, dug and tranplanted for future enjoyment can cause.

Bill Gauch

Oh my word Bill!

Bill,
    I am so sorry to hear about your experience as I can still "hear" you hurting from it! And in the SAME situation, I would feel the same, but we have been talking about ABANDONED properties, and apparent abandoned plants as well. Speaking for myself of course, my draw to such plants was not to get something for free or to "get back" at anyone as you insinuated in your post that someone else did in your own experience, but to rescue plants from their fated doom or to try to revive them so that SOMEONE could enjoy them somewhere else since they had been left to make a go of it themselves.
    By all means, someone should ask, if the plants abandonment is in question or if it is at all possible to find the owner of the property. Sometimes that is not the case and sometimes the dire condition of the plant speaks for itself. It is a personal call as to what one would do in any particular situation and we are all just sharing our experiences, right or wrong.
    The experiences shared here with the exception of yours sound to me like the plants all lived and benefited greatly or will in the future when they appeared to be doomed or neglected. THAT is what a gardener desires the most, to do their part in bettering this earth we live on, in our own little corner. (okay, that was deep, but you know what I mean)
    Your experience sounds like a spiteful act of revenge on their part and that is so sad! Did you have a No Tresspassing sign put up on the property or when you first started noticing the trees
    missing? Maybe a Private Property sign? That should have given them a clear message if the property might have given the illusion of abandoment. But if you had 300 trees planted there, you would think they would have figured it out on their won, unless as I said, it was revenge..
    Anyway. I AM sorry it happened to you and hope you won't assume we are all thieves on here!
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

My big thing is that nature kills trees all the time. I have what looks to be an abandoned property, but as I said before, there is no such thing. I did put up "No Trespassing" signs, which were ignored at first, and then ripped down after that. As far as the motives behind the act, it was probably a scare-tactict. I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone. In fact, I am quite familiar to the "midnight raid." As I said, though, I feel that if it won't grow back I don't take it. I would rather have the plant die due to neglect then to risk taking a whole plant that someone else owns and wants. Of course, that's the same reason I don't roam the city pruning people's trees, and dividing people's perrenial beds. Actually, for anyone who has seen the movie, "Mystery Men," I could start doing that and call myself The Pruning Avenger! Ok, all I ask is that you ask before taking, or leave the plant and collect cuttings and seeds only. The second option is better anyway. It gives you many plants from that one neglected/abandoned one. Then, you can make thousands more from what you collect. Then, you can sell/give away those thousands every year for all to enjoy.

Bill.

Wink Ah HA! Midnight raider, huh?

Ben,
    I knew you could not be a gardner if you were not familiar with midnight raiding yourself..tee hee. And I agree wholehardedly with everything you said.
    I have to admit though, that most of the times, which actually have been seldom considering all the years I have been a gardener that I have raided anything where one of those situations where AFTER the act had been committed, THEN I thought about the consequenses or right and wrong of it. But it was too late then to rethinkit through..lol. I probably STILL wouldn't have done it differently though..lol.
    I really do appreciate you sharing your experience with us as it will make me stop and think a minute the next time opportunity knocks. Probably won't stop me, but I will at least think about it and try to be sure the plant is actually abandoned..
    Thanks Ben!
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries
    Jimtx- Whatever happened with those irises ?

I went back 2 more times to 'my' site. Would you like to know what is there today ?
    First what was there....3 large trees with trunks 4 feet or more across, a marvelous secluded woodsy area that made you forget you were not too far from a 4 lane road and on the flight path to the airport(think about that..that's really saying alot about the site). Tons of coneflowers, phlox, plumbago, snow on the mountain, wintercreeper, etc. I found part of a plastic Burpee tag for a canna plant which made me think 'here lived a dedicated gardener'. Tons of black weedblock fabric which had to take an enormous amount of time to place. The iris/daylilies(except a few) had already been bulldozed over by time I made my first visit.

So what is there today...a huge EMPTY lot with the blackest soil I've ever seen in Kansas. The huge trees--gone. The secluded woodsy area- gone.
    And a real estate sign remains beckoning people to come build a commercial building there. Way to go, tear everything down, rip everything out for something that's speculative(they don't even know who or what would want it)

So now I have a small part of that wonderful place growing in my backyard which I would love to turn into something like where they came from. How long will it last ? I went to a City Council District meeting the other night to see 'concepts' for the expansion of a 2 lane road that is parallel to one side of my property to add a left turn lane. Fortunately, my fence and 40 foot trees along it will not be touched but the road will cut in at least 10 feet closer and there will be a side walk very close to the fence. The people across the road faired worse and will lose an old hedgerow which was the extent of their visual block of the road and the extent of their tall trees.

And so it goes.....

So , do tell about those irises ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

No Go!

Didn't get anything .. don't know what happened ..... was looking good .. had permission but asked to wait a little while .. then ..one day there was a cleared lot around the house .. scraped clean. Such is life.

Jim

Bummer, Jim!

I think that when it comes to something like that you have to be able to sit right on top of it and nag them to death.

Unfortunately, that is not always possible and doesn't always work.

Keep your eyes open and maybe next time the person doing the 'demolishing' won't be so quick to destroy valuable plants without giving someone ample notice and opportunity.

I am so sorry for your loss...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3