+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: House Moving

Question House Moving

Passed a house today that was for sale ..... "to be moved" .... had Iris all around it .... very ... very thick. Don't think I have seen them blooming but not sure.

Would it be worth trying to get them before they are messed up when they start jacking the house up? Can u have Iris that put on leaves but don't bloom? There are some other plants .... not sure what ...but may check that out as well.

thanks,

Jim

Blog Entries
    Oh Jim ! I'm so glad I'm not alone. I have no informed answers about the Iris and the appropriate time to transplant but as for 'preservation' and 'liberation' I'd say don't let opportunity pass you by. Three times now I have had my eye on similar situations. Most recently, a house that had had lovely bulb plants(iris, daylily) in the front yard. I had planned to go there last Sunday after Church(how ironic) but my husband said I don't think you really should be doing that. Trust me, if he just happened to be out of town, I'd have been there. Of course, I usually watch a couple of days to figure out what all is going on-who's coming and going. I also would only do this with a house where the inhabitants are clearly gone and the house is meant to be moved. A sign indicating that this formerly residential lot is now also commercial zoning is great. However, I still would not want to cross paths with a realtor. In my mind I have prepared my, "Oh, I'm with the local plant preservation group" spiel just in case. Now, you're a guy, but for a woman you really need to make sure about what (who) you might run into. I'd prefer to run into no one ! You may not have the opportunity to choose the correct transplanting time as the next thing you know they might just rip everything up or pave everything--at least they have a chance at surviving. Just make sure you've got a lookout ! Cathy
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 06-09-2003 at 06:55 PM.

Mmmmmh!

Let's see, how do I explain this?

When is the last time that you moved? Remember the stress, the rush, the things you had to leave behind because there was simply not enough time?

My goodness, call that realtor, tell them that the iris/daylily bed is unsitely, and offer to clean it up for them, divide them, make them healthy, offer to pot him/her up a few while you are at it.... And of course in exchange for a few keepers for yourself.

It's worth the try! Do it a few times, and you may gain a repuatation for it. You'll have realitors calling asking for you help, pruning, etc, in exchange...

Seriously, I find that most people will work with you for the best solution all around...

Jim, the irises have most likely already bloomed for the year and most likely will benefit from division.

So, look on the bright side! You're helping, so offer your assistance, and you might be surprised!

You guys are a HOOT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Talking Is the coast clear?????

hmmmm ....... like ur style .... and agree on the lookout ..... will take my pit bull ..... less chance of arguement.

If I get caught will tell them Ann sent me!!! What is ur address Ann .. phone number .. lawyers number?????

The Shadow

Caution

The problem is, you don't know who owns the place, nor what they plan to do with it, or the existing landscape material. If you ask, and they have no interest in the plants, then get permission to remove some.

Now, the iris can be moved most any time. They are busy expanding now, but thats OK. You will want to take them home, and seperate the stems. The things we normally call rizomes are actually the stem or body of the plant, and it will produce new roots, even if you just lay it on top of the ground. Brake away all the old worn parts, and plant only the health ones. Those stems/rizomes will want to be just showing above ground when they are planted. While you have them out, pull away any dead or rotting leaves. If you leave them out of the ground for a bit, that may cause them to skip a year of blooming, but they will live and do OK the next year. Give them a few weeks to set new roots, then give them a light feeding with GP fertilizer.

About the same thing applies to the Daylillies.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Ok ... I feel guilty ......

ok ... I will call and see what's up .... which is probably a good idea .......

Really had planned to do that but DL made it sound so easy ... just couldn't resist the thought.

Thank u for the information on how to care for them .... and do have some daylilies that need thinning.... so won't have to ask that question.

Going to have to explain it to my dog ... boy sure was looking forward to playing the tough dog.

Jim

Wharfff! Wharrrrfff!

You should hear Taco's howl when the little boys start knocking on the doors wanting to play with Hunter!

But my, oh, my, how that tail wags when those little 4 and 5 year old little ones ooh and ah over him! Taco is beside himself... He loves the attention from those little boys!!!

That chihuhua yap becomes one little tiny puppy all over again!

FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

DL is a sweetie pie, in my opinion!

Seriously, you guys will be surprised how grateful some of these folks are if you are just willing to pot up a few for them and make the property look nicer...

While you are at it, just pick a few weeds and edge that bed!!!

Gee, what am I saying? With all of these little boys knocking at my door to play with Hunter and the summer heat, maybe even I could use a little help!

LAS!

Enjoy! I am so very grateful for wonderful neighbors, friends and family, all of them happy and willing to share!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cool DL ... opportunity knocking

DL .. Ann wants "US" to weed and clean her flowerbeds .... hmmmm ...... u want to be the lookout or u want me to be?

Have no worries Ann... DL and I will "clean" ur flowerbeds ... oh yeah Trust Us!!

Jim

Hey,

Actually, I do have some stuff that needs to be pruned, and not enough time to pot the cuttings all up....

What a shame, huh?

Not the daylilies, though..... Sorry, but I truly am trying to let them produce seeds!

Got lots of other stuff though, that just may end up in the compost pile! After I get rid of the fire ants in there....

Ouch!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I move my Iris plants around. The plants I moved early this spring have green leaves but no flowers. Usually this happens the first year, and then, bingo, the following season I have blooms. Good luck!

Jodie

Blog Entries

Any news yet ?

Jim- I was hoping for an update. By the way, I forgot that I just planted 2 irises given to me by a co-worker. They don't look any worse for the wear. One came from my co-worker's home and the other from--oh, Ann is gonna love this-- a small cemetery in northern Kansas. Now, before this goes too far, let me say that my co-worker's wife goes to this cemetery yearly on Memorial Day to visit her parents. She wanted me to have this yellow iris and I think it's extra special.

Cathy,

That is very special, and I do know of a lot of cemetaries that need tidying up and pruning around here. Lots of abandoned little cemetary gardens in dire need of tender loving care....

Huge old rose bushes and old camelias that would look a lot better if someone would just give them a little attention. Most communities would welcome the volunteer efforts.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cemetaries???????

Ok ... I can be innocent for once .... well ... sort of innocent.

I am a Rose Rustler ... and I vist any and all cemetaries that I can find .... and I have found old roses. If I decide to take a cutting .. I completly clean out all of the dead wood ... and surrounding grass or weeds .... sealing all cuts. Cut off all spent blooms and clean up the site. I always leave it a lot better than I found it.

Have noticed that several of the old bushes that I found last year are gone this year and those that are still around are looking like they haven't been very careful with the weedeaters. Several cemetaries have gone to artificial flowers only to make it easy on mowing and no water bills.

As far as the house ..stopped today and got the phone number and walked the property .. must have several hundred Iris plants .. big beds .. and the plants look healthy but very crowded. Have no idea of the colors. Not sure what I would do with that many plants if I were to get them.

Hmmm ... would a circle .. raised .. rose bed look good with an outer ring of Iris?

Jim

That's exactly what I mean, Jim!

I think it would also look great to have clumps of irises here and there...

How tall are the iris leaves? My neighbor has the tall ones, like Tom's on one side of a little fenced in area and New Dawn and some others on the other side of the fence. Looks really good!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast