+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Termites in my pots

Termites in my pots

I recently bought two loropetalum shrubs. When I planted them I noticed that termites were in the dirt ball.

I called my exterminator and he said that they would not come into my house due to the chemical barrier. He also said that they would not eat the plants because they were live roots.

Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what did you do about it.

I went ahead and planted the loropetalums anyway.

Do you think the termites will present any problem. Do you know if I should apply some chemical to kill them?

Tom
    Tom

Yikes! Termites.....

Personally, I have had my share of termite problems. I have Terminex. Those folks are great at repairing the damage, but believe me, it is not fun to live in a house while they are tearing down the inside face of your fireplace and your roof is braced while they come back day after day to repair and rebuild.

Mix up some Bug-B-Gone or something like that and pour it over the area.

Call the place where you bought your plants, and report the problem. Make sure they follow up. If the nursery has contaminated plants, they need to treat them before distributing the plants.

There is a new form of termites in the South, and they are bad news.

Welcome to Landspro, Tom!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Termites In My Pots

Thanks Ann, Glad I found your forum. You and other members will be a blessing to me as I am relative new to landscaping. I retired two years ago and just now getting into it. I do it as a hobby and to make my yard the nices in the neighborhood.

I called the nursery that I bought the loropetalum from and they did not seem interested. Last time I will buy from them.

I will try the bug be gone. Will it not hurt my shrub?

Anyone feel free to chime in.
    Tom

Not to Worry

Have you ever noticed that you can lay a stick or board out on the bare ground and termites will attack it, or have you ever seen termites eat a tree stump up? The thing is, termites are in the soil all around you, and breaking down old dead wood is their job. When you contract with a termite control company, they do not spray, or treat to kill the termites, they build a chemical barrier between their habitat (soil) and your house or building, that they just cannot survive in.

If a root on a plant dies, they eat it. if a tree or shrub dies, same thing. But they do not bother with live plant material. Chances are that the propagator, or the nursery had too much wood product in the medium and that is why they got in the pots.

You can never rid the area of them, and probably wouldn't want to given all the benefit they bring.

Enjoy your new plants, you picked some really nice ones.
    Last edited by Tom; 06-07-2003 at 04:51 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread