+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tri-color Beach....

Tri-color Beach....

Hi, Everyone!

There is a tree, known to me as tri-color beach, that I truly like. I have seen in on travels up north, and if I remember correctly I saw in it Georgia, perhaps around Atlanta, Alpharetta or Columbus or perhaps Tullahoma, TN. I truly don't remember. It has been long ago, and I traveled by plane from day to day at that time much of the time...

I remember researching it once, and my memory tells me it is not often grown this far south. However, I do have this little microclimate that seems to be cooler, so I would like to give it a try.

Have any of you tried to grow this tree? It seems to be more of an ornamental tree rather than a shade tree, but it is truly gorgeous...

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tri-colour Beech.

Ann, I do agree. The Beech family known as Fagus Sylvatica, are all very pretty but the tri-colour certainly catches the eye, atleast mine.

I sell Beech and many customers that visit in the spring think their dead because their leaves are dried up.

This plant is unique as is the Oak to have their leaves still stuck to the tree untill the next spring.
    Certainly a specimen. George.

how do you

propagate tri colors?
    seed.cuttings???
    shepp zone5/6

i did i search

by both methods, seed and cuttings.
    now maybe buy 2 to propagate them.
    things that go Hmmmm.

sorry guys, but propagate beech cultivars by Grafting . Selected varieties do not come true from seed, and actually, I have never seen seed set on our Tricolor Beech. It is over 15 years old, and going on 30 feet tall, so maturity isn't the issue. I do a side wedge graft on 1/4" caliper potted rootstock in late winter/early spring, just before the buds begin to swell. Beech is one of the local industry's little favorites for callusing on a hot callus tube. Ah, the many ways we can fool mother nature! Susan

Tri colour Beech

Ann- I know that the Tri colour Beech can be grown by seed and grafted. The tri colour is not a low end Beech, so I wouldnt recommend cuttings. If it was Purple Beech (Fagus Sylvatica purpurea) then you might get by using cutting some cuttings.

Anyone serious in this bussiness doesnt want to spend 5 years growing a plant and find out that it doesnt have the same character as the original.
    George.

tricolour beech

I remember discussing this one on Freeplants as well.

If you could root it from cuttings, which you probably could, it would grow so slowly it would hardly be worth the trouble.

So grafting as Silver Vista said, will give it the boost it needs to be marketable in several years. Just the common European Beech is the rootstock, but even at that our 13 year old is only about 15 feet tall, started real slow and is growing several feet a year now.

I have to agree with everybody, this one is a stunning tree, it's the focal point of our big flower bed area. Nice backdrop for a green Jap. maple too...the contrast makes both trees look that much better!

Now trying to grow rootstocks has been another matter...these ones germinated best for me in the fridge...didn't want to carry on once I put them out into the warmth and light, strange. Another, I thought I was a good gardener until "moment".

Oh, Silver Vista, have you used the hot callus tubes? If I miraculously find the time in the next few winters, I'd like to set one up and at least try a bunch of cedrus, maybe some jap. maples in one...

Glen in BC

Glen, "yes" on the callus tube! Don't have one myself yet, but I was able to "play" at another nursery a couple of years ago. Have seen several, including Verl Holden's. He is one of the people who was actually instrumental in inventing the method. It's definitely fodder for a complete new thread, which I will get to probably as quickly as I get Jim's greenhouse pictures posted. Excellent for winter-grafted Acer and Fagus, etc., but it would be a waste of time for your Cedrus or other conifers. Susan

+ Reply to Thread