+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scaly Bulb Division

Scaly Bulb Division

Hey Gardening Folks!
    I found in the crisper of my fridge a bag of Orientla Lily bulbs that I put there last fall as I intended to divide the scales and replant but never got around to it. (I also never got around to labeling which ones they were drats!) I have 3 or four different ones (unlabeled as well) and never know what they are until they bloom. Anyway, enough about my lack of gardening efforts. I want to know if anyone has divided these bulbs and replanted the scales. Did you use rooting hormone, how deep did you replant them, did you replant them in the garden or pots and how long before they bloomed? ANY of the scales or just the larger ones? Is this disecting of the bulb going to make the parent plant smaller or affect it's blooming in any way?
    Thanks for any info!
    Becki
    P.S. I have tons of gardening and landscaping books to gather info from, but I would much rather hear first hand from actual gardeners about their experience. Sometimes there's a BIG difference in the results!
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Becki,

If you only remove the first one or two layers of scales, they should still bloom this year, assuming that they are a good sized bulb, and it also depends on the specific lily.

I removed more than that on my Stargazers. They didn't bloom as well that year, but they are filled with healthy looking blooms this year.

It will take at least 2 possibly 3 years for your little baby scales to be blooming size, but I don't do anything special to them. They tend to take care of themselves. Even the squirrels uprooting a few don't seem to harm them. When I discover what the critters have done, I just press them back into the soil, and they continue to grow.

It is quite fascinating to see them grow and then bloom.,...

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

THAT REMINDS ME, I have a plastic shoe box in my fridge with small (lily) bulbs stored in it that were to have been planted last fall! I'm almost afraid to look at them, but will have to to find out if any can be redeemed! Definetly not any ground space left for them, so guess they will have to go into pots. I also have a bag of glad corms waiting their turn to be planted.

I have grown lilies from scales and Anne is right, it takes two to three years for them to reach blooming size. I used shallow bulb pans and premium potting mix to pot them up in. Just inserted the scales, wide end down into the mix at 1/2 inch intervals. When the starts were big enough - a year later - I moved each to it's own pot (4") and /or several to a larger pot. By the second year they were ready for 1 gallon pots or planting into the garden. It's an interesting way to increase a favorite or a rare lily.

Happy Gardening!

Rebecca

Scales are a great way to propagate lilies. I recently ordered some lily bulbs ( lollipop and stargazer). There were scales in the bags that had fallen off. We potted them and now I have a whole pot full of babies. We have a Mona Lisa that we have done this with. It is prettier that stargazer we think.There are even some little ones coming up in the pots we planted the original bulbs in. Plants never cease to amaze me.
    tennessee sue

THANKS you guys!

You are all always so helpful!
    Hey Sue, I have never seen the Mona Lisa Lily. Do you have any pics? If not, I an just go look them up somewhere..I was just wondering.. Stargazer has always been my favorite, but then, I haven't seen Mona Lisa yet..lol.
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries

'Mona Lisa' Oriental Lily

Becki,

This one's for you!

Enjoy!

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 05-27-2003 at 09:18 PM.

I can tell when this one blooms before I even se it. I can smell it half way up our long curving drive. It smalls so... good.
    tennessee sue

Talking Oh My!

Thanks Rebecca! It IS gorgeous!
    Darn, gonna have to go shopping again..lol.
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

+ Reply to Thread