+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: From My Grandmother - A Bulb...

Cathy,

Do you have the space for a trial run? These particular bulbs get huge, so you plant them really, really deep.

I wouldn't be surprised that they 'might' survive if you planted them deep enough that the ground would not freeze.

Do you know how deep that would be?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Sure I've got space. The thing about crinums is I think they need to be planted with their necks out. I have a south side which stays warm through winter. My lycoris wintered in a pot just fine over there and the daylilies that I had over there stayed green through winter, so I'd say it's a good microclimate.
    PM me about estimated postage because I'd love to have those beauties growing here !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

This particular variety has extremely LONG necks which allows them to be planted VERY deeply.

I will send you one big one and one small one. The small one you should pot up and the larger one goes in the ground.

How does that sound?

When I shovel, sometimes I cut one in half, or just nick a piece, and if it contains some of the basal plate, you just let it dry for a day or two, plant it, and it will grow.

They are amazing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The first one I bought was from a lady at a plant sale. I bought just the bulb for about $3 She said to plant them 12" deep. There was a rock where we planted it so we couldn't go that deep but it has survived well. The one I have now is only planted about 8" deep and is doing well. I did mulch it a little extra last fall. I'd say you can grow them in Kansas.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue- I am still laughing over "planting over a rock". You must have been tired and decided that was it ! I know that feeling--moreso with tree roots ! I will be thrilled to plant one of these lovelies and mulched as you recommend.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    The dumb man planted it, not me. Actually there is a big rock behind it which probably holds in some heat. THe whole area was rather rocky so nothing was planted very deeply. It was a nice rock garden.
    Mine at my house is planted by the concrete porch so that also holds some heat. I just put an extra shavel full of mulch. The poor thing came up early and got frost bit twice. But now the leaves are huge and I am hoping for a good bloom season from it this year. This is it's second year here. I bought it of e-bay for about 4 bucks.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4