+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: From My Grandmother - A Bulb...

My Crinum is planted in front of the house facing south. It is beside a large rock. We don't mulch it. Due to the rock ledge in that area it is not planted very deep. I bought the bulb from a lady at a plant sell.
    tennessee sue

Forgot to answer your other question. We do get below freezing occasionally. Maybe -10, but not usually for long.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

CRINUM LILY PLANTING DEPTH ?

Hi ! I ordered crinum 'Ellen Bousanquet' for my Mom in Florida and they arrived there without planting instructions. I did a quick internet search and some say plant 8 inches to base and others say plant with neck above ground and mulch. Don't ask me why but I told her 'plant with neck above ground and mulch'. Is this right ? If not I guess she could throw more soil on top
    As she is in Florida they've got sandy soil.
    Advice re (planting) depth ?
    Thank You !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Crinum Bulbs

Ooooh that is soooooooo pretty. I would love one if you ever have any to spare. I'll been seeing alot about the crinums but they are hard to find here. I saw a Naked Donna (that could be real scary to see....lol) one that was selling for Cdn $20. That's to much for me..
    Donna
    Donna

My mother recently sold the place where we grew up and purchased a new home (much nicer). My youngest brother helped dig up some of her crinum. He tried to convince me to stop working and help, but it rained the entire Mardi Gras holidays, so he had to do it by himself after the holidays.

He called me afterwards and kept repeating, "Those bulbs are HUGE!" I said, "Tell me about it...", and he said, "but they are ENORMOUS!"

Some of these do get really, really large, and I think sometimes planting them deeper helps. For the most part, my soil tends to get hard the further down I dig, so I only go as far as I think I have to in order to keep them warm enough. Thank goodness, that is not very deep here. I had some live through the winter in a neglected pot with little or no soil, and they were on the north side of the house where it gets the bitter cold winds.

Go figure....

Since then, I have decided to plant my bulbs less deep than recommended. Remind me to take a picture of some garden Amaryllis in a 3 gallon pot that were not protected this winter. The biggest one is almost entirely out of the soil. The newly formed ones have almost pushed the Mama bulb out of the way, and she survived!

I guess the lesson is to plant only as deep as you need to plant them to protect from cold and in some cases, like mine, to give them enough exposure to cold to provide them the dormant period that they need.

Bulbs are FUN, easy and very forgiving! BTW, I left a tray of baby Amaryllis (non-garden type) unprotected, and they survived this winter! I think Amaryllis do better here in the nature rather than in the house! They may not bloom when I want them to, but they seem to do better. (More pictures to take for you...)

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ray's Crinium

One day, I am going to talk Ray into digging up a few of these for me....

These pictures were taken earlier today.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A Closeup

Another picture....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    How Stunning !
    Mom's Ellen Bousanquet's started showing some green but have gotten shy. I told Mom that Crinums are that way. It might take a year or two to get going. I was actually surprised that they even did start to grow.
    You are very fortunate gardening in the zone you are in!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Pic

Hi, Ann. That is such a beautiful color. I've never seen one like that before. Did you dig some up??? Were you able to get any extra???
    Donna
    Donna

Donna,

Unfortunately, these are best divided in the winter when they are dormant. So, I am afraid that I will have to wait....

In the meantime, I am enjoying the view!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann~
    Wow, 'Ray's Crinum' is a beauty!

There are many "Milk and Wine lilies" strewn all across the south, but this one has one unique quality that isn't often seen on them: the full circle curl of the tepals. That might indicate that it has something like C. fimbriatulum as a parent which isn't in the x herbertii cross.

I'd love to hear more about this particular clone of you know anything.......

Robert.

Sorry, but I don't even know where they got this bulb.

It is definitely a heavy multiplier. Ray has sold the house. Before he sold it, he told me that I could have one of the smaller clumps in the front, but the ground was too hard from the drought to dig it.

There is a new neighbor there now, and I will ask them if it is okay for me to dig up a smaller clump. I feel sure that they will let me. I have a sample collection of plants that were Carolyn's. Carolyn was Ray's wife and a good friend, so her plants are special to me and bring back lots of good memories.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Robert,

I am going to move this to bulbs forum. Thanks for finding it for me. LAS!!!! It will be a long time before I get everything moved to its proper place.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I thought it was in a strange place. I found it originally in a search and then when I went back to find it, it wasn't in 'Bulbs" where I thought it would be.

Good thing I posted to it and bumped it up.

Robert.

Here we go.....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast