+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: From My Grandmother - A Bulb...

From My Grandmother - A Bulb...

This is the bloom on a bulb that my grandmother gave me. I was at her home on the coast of Texas when she offered it to me. All she could tell me is that it had a very pretty dark pink flower.

Even though her soil was sandy and soft, I remember digging and digging and digging until I finally got to the bottom of the bulb. And the bulbs themselves were HUGE! I had never seen such large bulbs, and the one she gave me has happily multiplied... I will be sharing those with my family.

They are in bloom now!

I think of my grandmother every time I see it. She was a fantastic cook, but not much on gardening. I loved her dearly. Everyone did.....

I received the gardening genes from my other grandmother, who was also a great cook, so I guess that explains my love for cooking also!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

lillies

Ann:

I don't know the name of that lily but I know I had several when I lived in the country up until about 4 years ago when I moved to town. They grew on the west side of the garage in an area that is almost always in the shade. They are very hardy plants--they can take a lot of abuse - even to the point of cutting them down. They can survive seemingly without water also.

Just my 2 cents worth!
    Dr. Jim Rhodes
    Zone 8
    SE Texas

Your Bulb

I think it's one of the many Crinums.

Here is a picture of the one here:
    It's called 'wine and Roses'
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

MMMmmm!

My neighbor, Ray, has one that looks just like that. It just finished blooming. Unfortunately, it has not multiplied so much that I would ask him for one, LAS!

Carolyn, my dear friend, Ray's wife, planted it, so I would not disturb it until it needs to be.

Does yours bloom this early, Tom?

I have some similar, but not the same that bloom later in the season. I will post a picture when they do. I think they may be related....

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I have a crinum that looks exactly like that. I will post a picture when it blooms. We were told to plant it very deep, But that might be so it will survive our winters which it has.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

These were planted very, very deep! I don't have them planted quite as deeply here because I reach really, hard red clay if I dig too deeply, and we get so very much rain. Except for lately.... BUt when it does rain, it comes down fast!

LAS!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We have been in a draught for the last 3-4 yrs. but have made up for it this spring. When it rains it comes quick and hard here too. Has washed out the driveway a couple of times already but the pond is full for the first time in ages.
    Forgot to mention that my crinum is all pink.
    tennessee sue

Crinums

Here are some other Crinums. I have lots of these, but I think the pink ones are prettier.

After they bloom, they form bulblets at the end of the stem, where the flower was. They're about the size of tulip bulbs.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

crinum lily

As promised here is a picture of my crinum lily finally in bloom:
    Attached Images  
    tennessee sue

Thanks, Sally!

That sure looks like my grandmother's, doesn't it?

Actually, we called her Mama Stella along with the rest of the people in town...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh Boy ! Now I've perked up from my heat and drought induced doldrums !!!! These plants are FAN-tastic ! I love them but can't find much at all on the internet. I saw a couple of Floridian links. I'm zone 6...can they grow here ? I am really curious !

We are zone 6b and this one has been there for several years. We were told to plant 18" deep, but we didn't as this is at the base of a rock.
    tennessee sue

Re: Crinums

Originally posted by John_NY
    Here are some other Crinums. I have lots of these, but I think the pink ones are prettier.

After they bloom, they form bulblets at the end of the stem, where the flower was. They're about the size of tulip bulbs.

John, do these white crinums you grow have a fragrance? I have been looking for a certain crinum that I don't know the name of but it has flowers like your white ones and it had a very lovely fragrance similar to that of a magnolia flower. I would be willing to swap some daylily seeds for one of the bulblets you posted picture of.
    Attached Images  
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Unfortunately, none of mine have ever produced seeds or bulbils... Oh, well! But they do multiply quite fast.

Especially, this one....

and another view...

These came from my sister's ranch in Wheelock, TX. I had no idea what the foliage or the blooms looked like when my sister helped me dig them to bring home with me. The cattle kept them eaten to the ground.

I remember that they were planted very deeply and didn't seem to mind the droughts at the ranch. They are flourishing here.

They have a very light and wonderful fragrance. They bloom much later than the others. This is just a few of many blooms to come....

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Sue Salley(or John in NY or anyone else zone 6 or below)- As a fellow Zone 6'er, is your crinium planted on the south side of the house ? And how low do the temps get there in winter ? Do you mulch it ?
    Thanks,Cathy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast