+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sue Salley's Greenhouse

Sue Salley's Greenhouse

Sue sent me a picture of her greenhouse and some of the plants that she sells!

Sue, I have many questions for you! Can you tell us more about what we are seeing? Are you using double layered film?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    We do use double plastic with a blower in between. The top is covered with shade cloth as is the area behind the greenhouse. this area is 30x18. The greenhouse itself is 30x50. The area in front is covered with black out cloth and holds some of our trees. The ones in the very front are snow fountain weeping cherries.
    The area behind the trees (not visable in picture) is my shade area where I grow most of my wildflowers.
    We hope to be able to build cold frames behind the greenhouse this year. Grading has begun but money is very tight here right now. My guys are very handy (most farmers are) and all the work is done by the three of us.
    Hope you enjoy seeing where I love to work.
    tennessee sue

Oh, My! Yes, I enjoy it. I would be living out there. My greenhouse is so very small....

If you are interested, I have a quart jar of Echinacea seeds. It is mostly seed, but there are some filaments in there as well. They are a little over a year old, and I think most of them are still good.

I keep telling myself that I will one day make a bed of these, but this spring and last spring have been so dry that it has been tough to keep the ones I have from wilting.

Thank goodness the drought has ended for awhile. Those 7 inches we had a couple of days ago followed by a heavy rainfall today (too dark to look at the gauge) is welcome relief to my having to move sprinklers around.

I have lots of questions about the blowers and the double film. When I do finally get my 'large' greenhouse, this is what I am seriously considering for the winter months.

What kind of blower is it and what is the heat source?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I don't know the name of the blower manufacurer but I will see if I can find it. The double plastic is a trick to put on. You have to be very careful to have it sealed all the way around and not puncture it.
    I wish I had more time to be in the greenhouse. Taking care of Spike's Mom takes most of my daytime hours. I did get in a bunch of perennial seeds that I need to get down there and start tomorrow.
    It gets pretty hot in there when the sun is out. See the big opening in the front? The fan is there. It is about 5 feet tall and wide. Our great pyrenees dog loves to lay in front of it. We also have a smaller fan in the back wall. Cooling would be a big factor in your area as would good circulation.
    No thanks for the seed, I have plenty. Maybe someone else could use them.
    I suggest we have a seed swap this fall. Everyone could list their extra seed.
    tennessee sue

Ann,
    BTW we have a wood burner in there. It is hard to regulate. We used this greenhouse as a cold frame to winter over this winter.
    Hopefully we will have a smaller house with a gas heater this year to carry over the tender stuff and start seeds.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread