+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where did YOU get your love of gardening?

Where did YOU get your love of gardening?

Being the new kid on the block around here, I would love to hear from anyone feeling like sharing.
    Where did you get your hobby, passion or love of gardening from?
    For me, it was instilled in me at a very early age by my grandfather. My earliest memories (and I have been told I was around 2 years old at the time because of where he lived) he used to carry me around and chatter about his blooms and flowers. He always set aside a special place for me to have my own garden, had my name on a sign there even and often took me shopping for seeds or plants to plant. As I got older (grade school) he would be so excited to come and get me to come over and help plan, plant and tend the garden on Saturday afternoons through the spring and summer months! Yes, I remember there were those times when I wanted to do things with my friends or didn't want to do all the work, but responsibility was a part of my upbringing as well and he depended on me to help, so that was that. He also planted big vegetable gardens as well and my grandmother canned everything. I don't know HOW I lucked out of not having to do that, and to this day admire and respect anyone who does that as I know just how much work is involved!
    Anyway, that is how I got started in this lifelong passion I have for flower gardening. Although my grandfather has been gone for 10 years, I think of him still every time I pick up a trowel. What a treasure trove of memories and education he passed on to me!
    Becki

Becki, When I was young my family always grew a big garden and canned also. I would do anything (even wash dishes) to not have to go to the garden. When I was in my early 20's and had my own home There was a poppy came up beside the porch and many varieties of daffodils on a rock bank behind my house. I was hooked. Before long a friend gave me a place to put a small garden. A few years later i got a start of bee balm and then I was hooked on herbs. I was living next to my parents at that time and my Dad helped me in my garden. We had so much fun working together. I miss him and also think of him when I am in the garden. The flowers I love best best were ones my grandmothers grew. I have lilacs started from my great grandmothers.
    My daughter never seemed interested in my gardening , but now that she has her own home she can't get enough plants. Seems she learned quite a bit from me anyway. Now she has a lilac started from mine. I am thrilled because she now likes to help in the greenhouse and always goes home with a new plant.
    I'm glad this love came to me and that I have passed it on to my daughter.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Becki, Ann and All,

I'm in my mid 50's and have been gardening for what seems like all of my life! My Dad was (and still is) a home gardener so basically I got it from him. I also spent a lot of summers on my Grandparent's farm and picked up a lot from my Grandmother, my Dad's Mother. So really, it runs in the genes!

Even as a youngster I was always trying to grow something! Sweet Potatos in jats of water was a big thrill for me. I later progressed to planting the sprouted potaoe in my own little garden and actually grew several edible sized tubers!

When I was in high school the family moved out into the country with several acers of fertil bottom land where we grew an immense truck garden. We had all kinds of things growing in it! Dad even tried peanuts one year and we had some of the best tasting roasted peanut for Christmas that year! We grew enough tomatoes, sweet corn, green bean and potatoes to feed an army. Mom canned and/or froze everything! There was a U-Pick_'em Strawberry farm just down the road and we spent many long, hot, sun burned hours picking berries for Mom to 'put up' as frozen berries and preserves.

We also had flower beds filled with iris, peonies, mums and more different plants than I can remember. That was quite awhile back!

I've been on my own for several years now, both daughters are grown and living their own lives; I was married, but that ended decades ago and I have remained single. Anyway, I've been in my current residence for around eight years now and when I moved in there wasn't anything here except grass, but I have a very nice landlord who has allowed me to put in gardens and do, pretty much, whatever I felt like - as long as I leave so yard for my fellow tenants. It really looks rather strange with one half of the yard area overflowing with flowering trees, shrubs and a wide assortment of perennials. One of these days I'll convince him to let me take over the entire yard!

About five or so years ago I started collecting daylilies, just a few at first, but then I was bitten by the hybridizing bug and the rest is history! Last spring I had pretty much all of 'my' portion of the back yard tilled up so I would have someplace to grow the seedlings being produced by the haphazard crosses I'd been dabbling at. Last year I had around 30 different varieties and numerous seedlings, this year it has grown to nearly 75 named varieties, 200+ seedlings from this years crop alone, plus the seedlings that were kept from the last couple of years! The last time I dared try to get a count of the daylily population I had well over 400 plants (in various stages of life). I didn't count all the clumps of 'Kwansos' I have or all the clumps of 'Stella D'Oro'!

I've been digging, dividing and potting up the extras this past month and have close to 100 divisions now growing in pots, most of which will be sold through a "Yard Sale’ I have set up for next month.

Ann already knows this, but I have a bad habit of rescuing plants tossed out by the company I work for. Two years ago I got a car load of Hostas. This year they had to be moved to a new location so those also got divided and the extras potted up for the sale.

To say I was into gardening would be putting it mildly!

Ann, hope you're ready to see a new photo! Iris this time! This one is "Voilet Rings".

Enjoy!

Rebecca

"More things grow in a garden than what the gardener sows."
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rebecca; 05-17-2003 at 08:19 PM.

Mine is definitely in my genes. My grandmother (Daddy's Mom) was an excellent gardener and propagator, but she had 9 children and no telling how many grandchildren, so I didn't actually learn to garden from her. My mother had 5 children, again, quite busy....

We grew vegetables when we were young, especially tomatoes, and I loved them. But I didn't realize how much I enjoyed plants until I was in college and working at the University computer center. I had rented a small house in University staff housing. There was a brick flower planter by the front porch. I purchased some marigold, zinnia and sweet william seeds, and I was hooked from then on...

Most of what I know is from books, trying, more books, more tryring, the web and the master gardener training and people like yourselves!

And, obviously, I am passionate about it!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca,

I love Irises! The bearded Irish, especially!

How Beautiful! Are you taking these pictures? They are really GOOD!

I am hoping to buy a new digital camera soon. Mine has a difficult time with reds, especally. And it is a low lux video camera that I bought when Hunter was just a tiny baby. It doesn't do well in the sun at all because it picks up too much glare...

I should really investigate some good picture gallery software so that we could set up a gallery forum... A picture tells so very much!!!!

Thanks!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wink

What a nice surprise this morning to see all your messages! I loved reading all your stories!!! Thank you so much for sharing...
    Sue, my daughter wasn't interested at all either until she married and had her own home as well just a couple of years ago They moved into a new home last spring and planted her very first pack of seeds. I was so tickled to hear and see the excitement as she would go on and on telling me about the progress of these seeds sprouting (brought back alot of memories of my excitement as a child doing the same thing) NOW she finally understands what I have been babbling about all these years..lol. You just can't explain the thrill to a non-gardener; they just don't get it..lol.
    Rebecca, (my real name is Rebecca as well) your daylily collection sounds fascinating! I would be most interested in purchasing some of them from you if you might be interested in sending them through the mail. I will send you a private message about it. Your Iris picture as well as all the others I have seen are so beautiful and I so enjoy seeing flowers from everyone's garden.
    Do you have any "doubles" in your daylily collection that have double the fower petals? Back home at my old landscaping job where they had the enormous daylily collection, they had this gorgeous double apricot daylily that was one of my favorites.
    All this talk about daylilies is making me want to make the trip back home and try to talk my old employer into selling me some of them..lol.
    Ann, a gallery to post pictures would be wonderful! I have enjoyed so much looking at your pics!
    I am so glad I found this forum!
    Becki

Blog Entries

Ann,

In response to your question, I am using a Samsung Digimax 200 2.1 Mega Pixel with/in Macro mode. The camera was very inexpensive, under $200 woth all the extras I added on like a battery re-charger and a card reader. I up load using my Irfanview program. With it I can crop, re-size and do any touch-ups before I actully save the image to my hard drive.

The Samsung does a good job with most colors, blues can be tricky and some pinks that lean towards blue. So far I've been able to make adjustments and can come very close to the real thing!

"Violet Rings" was a bit of a challenge to get it the way I wanted it without distorting the actual flower color.

I shot at 800 x 600 resolution and even with croping and enlarging I can get pretty good details with the quality set at 'fine' as you can see in the following photo of an extreme close-up of "Violet Rings".

I'm still experimenting with flash and for a small camera it sure puts out a lot of foot candels! Ruined a lot of nicely set up shots! I can hardly wait to see how well it does with the daylilies, which is the reason I bought the digital in the first place! With 30 seedlings due to bloom this summer I wanted a graphic record of their first blooms. I'll then have something besides my poor memory to compare their second year's blooms to!

Have to run - time to get ready for work!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread