+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rose Propagation with a potato

Question Rose Propagation with a potato

Have been told by some old timers that u can root roses using a potato .. have also seen this thread on the rose forum. Would like to know if any of u have tried this method. I am going to give it a try ....... they are claiming about a 98-100 % success rate. I can get potatoes ..... especially the older ones that no one wants.

Thanks,

Jim

spud starter

Jim, can you explain the process to me? I would like to try it as I want to start some roses this year. I have heard that you can rub cuttings on a sliced potato to use as rooting hormone. I'll be interested in trying this.
    Thanks.
    tennessee sue

Hi,
    I read about this on the gardenweb forum. I am going to give this a try. A friend has about 10 shrub type roses that blooms till frost and she is going to let me take some cuttings. She also has a pink climbing or rambler type not sure which. Anyways she was me to dig it up. I should think I would be able to make a few cuttings of these.
    According to the thread you take a potato and cut stick the cutting in and then plant. potato and all. Some said to put a 2 liter plastic or 1 gal. glass jar over them. Others mentioned plastic bag tents.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

rose prop with a potato

method i heard .. u just stick the cutting in whole potato and plant in rich soil .. potato is under ground .. cutting is above .. and clip off any shoots from the potato. Have a couple of spots in garden that I can use for this purpose. Was told that this is the method used to bring roses and plants west .. have no idea if that is true..... would say u could ask Ann .. she was there .. but I am older than she is .. sooooooooo!!!!

Like I said .. I am going to try it as soon as I can ... hope it works .. I am usually only interested in rooting a few cuttings from a bush if I know they will work.

Vicki ... sure would like to increase my small bush OGRs if u get them to work .. remember me .. please!!

Jim

More questions...
    do you just cut a hole in the potato as big around as the cutting and stick it in? Are you saying to cut off any potato vines that sprout?
    Should you take cuttings before or after the rose blooms,old wood or new growth?
    I will try to get a picture of mine on when it blooms.Pretty pink,very fragrant,double blooms often.an old one I think, belonged to my Grandmother, blooms all summer.Has beautiful shiny leaves.
    tennessee sue

rose propagation

Method I got was "cut off a cane and stick it in a potato"and plant potato ... and yes they said to cut off any of potato vine sprouts. Think it acts as water source and fert. but not sure. Know these ladies wouldn't have taken a lot of time on this ... cut and stick would have been how it would have gone. Probably did make a hole for the cutting ... don't know it could penetrate a potato.

One said soak potato over night ...

Blind leading blind here ......... I have never done it either... but one lady told me ..... "just try it .. worst u can do is kill the thing" ... words of comfort!!!

Jim

I'm not afraid of killing it-been there done that.
    I'll give it a try.
    There is supposed to be something in the potatoe that acts as a rooting agent.We can compare notes later on this.
    tennessee sue

Rose Propagation

Well .. potato is in the ground .. with a cutting.... we shall see what we shall see.

Found a nice pink rose today .. could not find any graft .. appears to be growing on its own roots. Took the cutting .. used an ice pick to punch a hole all the way through a potato (which had been soaked in water) and then pushed in the cutting. Put the potato/cutting in the soil and covered it .. that is it.

Not a real good test .. not sure of the rose ... left a lot of leaves on the cutting and the cutting is larger than I usually take. However, this is the way I was told to do it . Will let u know how it turns out. Hope it works .. sure was easy. I am also safe either way .. i know where the bush is.

Jim

One more question Jim. How deep did you plant that spud?
    tennessee sue

Rose Propagation

Sue,

I followed the instructions I was given .... "just cut off a branch (I picked one with flowers on the end .. little bigger than a #2 pencil) and stick it in the potato ( I made a hole with the ice pick) ... dig a hole and put potato in it .. cover it up (it was a small potato and is probably about 2" under ground .. maybe 3" total for the cutting. Cutting is about 10-12" with several sets of big leaves on it. I did make the cut just below an eye ....... but other than that ... it was cut, stick, plant ... She said she took cutting all year .... whenever she saw a rose she liked ... and "no one minded ... or was around" she took cutings .and they grew!

This lady would not have taken any time on something like this .... if it grew ... she might have watered it .. if it died .. she would have called it a "stick" and burned it! She is 93 now ... and sharp as a tack ........ would work me into the ground .. given a chance.

Jim

rose propagation

Well .. day one has passed .... cutting showing no signs of wilting .... probably just surprised to be sitting in a potato and is in shock.

Jim

Blog Entries

FLORIST'S ROSES

Jim and All,

I've had my first cutting (of Christian Dior) "potatoed" for severa days now and it has never shown any signs of wilt. But now for the BIG EXPERIMENT: using stems of Florist's Roses.

I got the unusual job of going through all the cut flowers we had for sale for Mother's Day and pulling all the bad ones. I had to remove them from the sleves and then select the better ones for re-packaging. In doing so, I came across several that had already begun to sprout side shoots. Thinking since these seem so eager to grow, why not try the potato method with them. After all, what have I got to lose, except a few potatoes! And, if the cutting fail to do anything before the potato has given up trying to grwo itself, I can always let the potato go and end up with a few new potatoes this fall.

Question is, are Florist's Roses hardy enough to grow in zone 5a without a greenhouse? If the experiment works and they do root and grow I will find out!

The 'Christian Dior' cutting is in a large pot and I do have a 1 gallon glass jar covering it, these cuttings won't get that extra protection as I will be 'planting' them directly into the ground in among my daylilies and other perennials.

Has anyone here ever tried to root the stems of cut flower roses?

Any input is appreciated!

Rebecca

Last edited by Rebecca; 05-12-2003 at 09:01 AM.

Okay....

Now, that I have done my soapbox on Imported Fire Ants, I will give my reponse to this question...

Jim, I have heard about the potato propagation of Roses. And there is no doubt in my mind that it works. It makes sense, especially if you provide the cuttings with enough humidity.

Will I try it? No, and primarily because of these dreaded Imported Fire Ants. I have a dear neighbor who is deathly allergic to them, and every time he is bitten, he has to go to the hospital, so I won't do anything that encourages them...

Rebecca, I have propagated florists roses, and it works. It will take about 2 years for them to start producing a few flowers that will be the size that were in the original bouquet.

As you know, whether they will make it or not in your zone is dependent on the rose. In my mind, it is always worth the try!

For now, I am forced to stick with my 'potatoelless' methods of rose propagation. And what can I say, it works for me!

I do love my old roses, and as soon as I catch my breath from all that has gone on in the last year, I will be back at it again!

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have a stick!!!

Sadly ... I have to announce that my rose cutting using a potato .. passed away. I have buried it along side the potato ..... they have been through a lot together.

Cutting behaved very well until the temp. hit 89 .. then it began to die. It was in the sun .. no covering .... as per the instructions I received. It didn't work in this weather.

Would be interested in a status report on any other potato experiment .. if it is working .. please include the zone and the temperature as well as the location (sun or shade) and any other facts we need to know.

Have potatoes .. will try again.

Jim

I just read this thread this evening and wanted to share what I knew. I have never personally tried the potato method, but my 96 year old grandmother did it alot over they years (before she passd away last winter) I don't know why I never thought to try it myself!)
    She said she used to use glass jars to cover them (quart jars, mayonnaise jars whatever) and then when the plastic milk jugs came out, she used those instead . Said if you used glass, you had to occasionally stick a stick under the rim to let some clean air in..lol. When she sent to plastic milk jugs (cut out the bottom with a paring knife) she just poked a few air holes around the top part of the jug. (She was a big believer in fresh air) She never planted them where they would get hot afternoon sun.
    As far as the potato part, she just stuck a screwdriver into the potato and twisted it around a few times to make a straight hole for the cutting to rest in and then went and took a cutting that size. She would cut out all the eyes on the potato so they wouldn't sprout. SHE said that the potato rotting was the fertilizer cause it had potassium in it. She too would take cuttings anytime of year, before, after or during blooming. Would cut 1/4" below a node, break off the leaves, and stick that part in the potato and plant as deep as the next node with leaves removed there as well. It all sounds so complicated when I explain it, when in reality, as Jim said, cut it and stick it...
    Roses were my grandma's specialty..
    I am going to HAVE to try this!
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast