+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Perennials for Spring in Your Area

Favoite Perennials for Spring in Your Area

Hi, Everyone!

I have so very many favorites, that I am not sure which to list, but I thought it would be fun if everyone listed their favorite perennials for the spring, especialy the blooming ones.

Help me out, everyone!

I will venture around my landscape, and jot down some of my favorites after I give all of you a chance to share your favorites with us!

Don't forget to mention your zone! That helps all of the guests of Landspro who do not know the members as well as the rest of us do....

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hi! Ann,

Believe it or not, but one of my favorite of the very early perennials in my gardens is a sweet little lavender violet! It's about half the size or smaller of the standards blue 'Violet' and isn't nearly as invasive, yet it dtill gets around! It's primary spot is in my small rock garden, but I have found it growing in a few other places as well. It also holds up better to the heat than the blues ones do.

Another of my favorite early spring flowers is the little Gracian Wind Flowers. I have them in blue and in white. I;ve been harvesting the 'seeds' the past few years and scattering them about in another area and they are now starting to bloom as well.

Then there's the tiny specie Iris, followed by the one Dwarf Bearded Iris that I have.

I spotted a purple Anemone that has grown from a blown in seed that sprouted close to a beautiful self-blue Columbine. A larger blue Columbine that is out in one of the front beds will be opening it's first flowers of the season any day now and I see a few seedlings not too far from it. They will get transplanted to other, more visible spots.

A small clump of Forget-Me-Nots is just beginning to bloom in the small oasis between the two front porches and the Lily of the Valley are spiking too.

There are buds showing on the Rouge Cardinal Clematis and also on Dr. Rupple. I just bought myself a new Clematic, unfortunately I can't remember it's name! It's a double light lavender-pink and I plan on planting it opposite of Rouge Cardinal on the arch that covers the sidewalk.

The little Dwarf Rhododendron has just finished flowering, but a lovely pale pink standard Rhodie has taken it's place. Both of these plants were rescued out of the dumpster from work; the PMJ just last year, the standard one(s) I've had for two years and this is the first time the pale pink one has flowered. I have four others plus an azalea rescue that will also be blooming in due time. The Azalea is a red as are two of the Rhodies, the other two also haven't bloomed yet, but I think one of them will this year. Only the larger red is going to flower this year.

All of my perennials are 'favorites' each in it's own season. The tall beaded iris, the Siberians, the native wild blue flags and all the lilies and least we forget, my favorite of all, the daylilies. All will begin their displays as the seasons progress.

There's the miniature roses and the old root stock roses that I've kept and a very old 'Blaze' climber, in much need of a good pruning right now. The Hollyhocks and 4 O'clocks, Speedwell and Veronica. The Obediance plants taht are trying to take over their area. The Purple and White Coneflowers and the Yellow ones too along with the Black-eyed Susans! There are several hardy Hibiscus scattered about, but there isn't a sign of them yet, they need a lot of warmth to break dormancy, but I know they put on their show starting in June and they'll go until frost! Sedums, Spurges and Hens 'n' Chicks; Hostas and Heuchras and Hardy Geraniums (Cransbill); Blackbeery and Candy Lilies, grown from seed; the Russian Sage and the Bunny Ears; the Maltese Cross, Wild Phlox and Goldenrod; Chocolate Mint, Peppermint, Sage and Marjorum and an occasional bunch of wild catnip that eluded the hoe! Bringing the summer to a close will be the mums, Toad Lilies and the rich blue-purple of the Monkshood. There's always the little treasures tucked here and there that I don't ever remember until them bloom and there always seems to be a surprise or two that Mother Nature gives me for a season or two.

BTW, I finally saw new growth on the Dr. Rupple cutting from last summer! And another little rescue is slowly coming back to life.

Isn't gardening the most wonderful blessing!

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 04-26-2003 at 09:54 PM.

Zone6-b
    Many of my favorite spring flowers are wildflowers. They put on an early show then they disappear til the next spring.
    My first flowers to bloom are miniature iris. I have blue,purple and my favorite yellow. They sometimes bloom in Feb. A little species tulip that has a yellow and white bloom that grows close to the ground makes a cheery display. I like the species tulips better than the hybrids. Another one is Greggi. It has variagated leaves and a vibrant orange bloom. The plant is short but the blooms are hugh. The blood root is one of the earliest wildflowers. It's simple white bloom is a a warm charming welcome to the coming spring. And wow the pink lady's slipper is something else. The jack -in-the-pulpit is unusual and the lily of the valley smells so sweet .Shooting star blooms early as does the sweet woodruff (makes good maywine,too). The ferns may not bloom but the fronds curling out of the soil is one of my favorite spring sites.
    The crocus and the daffodil are easy to grow and put on an early spring color riot.
    I think I love the spring flowers the best of all because I know warm weather is coming. After the long winter they are such a welcome sight.
    tennessee sue

Hi,
    Zone 5 (?) here. My forsythia and daffodils look great. I have 6 huge forsythia and about 15 bunches of daffodils. First year I've had a display of daffodils. After digging them up and replanting last fall, it sure made a difference! I really like the arabis 'snowcap' I planted last summer. It is really pretty. Besides the minature hyancinth those are the only blooming spring flowers I have so far. I love them all!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I hope you do not mind...

But I am going to list my favorites a few at a time...

That may mean that a few of you will get several email notifications for updates to this thread. I apologize for that.

This one is for Sue Salley!

I promised you a picture of the Purple Lady Banks rose blooms. Like I said, they are not fully doubled like the yellow form, but they sure do bloom nicely. The color changes during the day from a deeper purple to a lighter one.

Here's the pictures:

This is the rooted cutting with your name on it, Sue!

Beautiful, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Favorite Azalea

This one is for Tom!

Tom,

I have one rooted for you and will make more as soon as this semester is over.

Mine have been blooming now for several weeks, and all the other varieties in town have stopped blooming some time ago.

Ben Morrison Azalea:

What can I say, I like variegated whether it be in leaves or in the bloom color.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cornflower

This is a native (wildflower) perennial that I came upon quite accidentally years ago. I sowed a packet of mixed perennial seeds, and this one is the one that I liked the most. It took me quite some time to figure out what it was.

I call it a pink cornflower, but it has a lavender/majenta tinge to the color. This is the first bloom for this spring, and they will be more doubled as time goes by, but I look forward to seeing the blooms every year.

The tiny blooms in the background are those of a spirea that produces both white and pink blooms on the same stems. If you look closely you can see the pink and white spirea blooms forming. It is quite neat also, but starting to get a little large for the space. I may have to move the pink cornflower.

The foliage is somewhat evergreen here. It is more full this time of the year.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shade Plants...

These are only of few of my favorites. Like Sue Salley, I always enjoy watching the leaves of the ferns unfoil....

Japanese Painted Fern and Variegated Hosta:

They are growing so very FAST!

Pretty!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Variegated Shade Plants...

I do enjoy this one breaking dormancy...

It's not a beauty for the bloom, but the color in the foliage is fantastic!

My Variegated Hydrangea:

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tiny Blue Salvia...

Somewhere I have the name of this one! It faithfully comes back for me every spring, and it blooms until frost. It is very dwarf and blooms like crazy, a pretty true blue....

The camera wouldn't focus on the blue, but I think you get the idea. The dark purple blooms to the right are that of one of my favorite annuals, the Helitrope 'Marine'. I collect a few seeds from them every year, so that I can have more!

I have never tried to propagate it, but I really should because I enjoy it 9 months out of the year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Just one of many....

But this one blooms only in the spring...

I prefer the everblooming antique roses, but the blooms on this one are especially pretty. The leaves are tiny, and the shrub is small. No problems with blackspot on this one...

I'll have to look up the name of it later!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A Special Yellow Rose...

The only Grandiflora rose that I own. It is in mostly shade, and will have many clusters of blooms for months to come.

It was a special gift from a friend, the first rose ever given to me....

I don't fertilize it. I don't prune it. I don't disbud it. I don't spray with fungicide or herbicide, and despite the weeds that keep popping up around it, it flourishes.

It's a gorgeous rose!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thunbergia...

Thunbergia battiscombeii....

This one is herbaceous here, but the first blooms opened this week. There are many, many large blooms and it will continue to bloom until the first frost.

The blooms are almost 2 inches wide and about the deep....

Again, this was a gift from a friend. This time in the form of cuttings...

Abosolutely one of my many top favorites!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Neighbors Absolutely LOVE this ONE!

It is a mistake, but a welcome one that I encourage....

It grew from the root stock of my Mr. Lincoln hibrid tea rose. It bloooms profusely in the spring and again some in the fall.

It has to be pruned because it is somewhat of a rambler. The first picture does not show it's true deep, dark red color because of the bright sun. The second one is really a little darker than it actually is but closer to the true color, and contains only two clusters of blooms....

A pleasant welcome volunteer to my landscape....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you Ann. The lady banks is absoltely beautiful. I have an old rose that I do not know the name of but it has pink blooms,sometimes double, that belonged to my grandmother. It blooms al summer and has no disease problems. I want to try roses by cuttings this year so I will try to start you one.
    Just wanted to let you know that our sale this weekend went super. We sold more Sat. that we ever have in both days before.
    It is at a historic site that used to be a stopfor stage coaches and riders to exchange horses and money, because Tennessee and Virginia had different money at that time. It is run by volunteers who are the nicest people in the world. It is a working farm also, plowed the old way with horses. The Doctor that owns the work horses plows each year at the festival. It is a joy to see these massive animals at work.
    There are lots of plants there. I bought several flats of new mother plants. I found a cactus called Tennesse Walking Stick that is supposed to be hardy here. Never seen that before. I bought a night blooming cereus for $4! A blue corydalis I've looked for for ages, a Christmas rose, an unusual aloe with a pot full of babies to divide. You can tell I had a good time. I also found a hardy geranium that has very unusual leaves. I'm really fond of hardy geraniums.
    I was telling Shepp what sold well . Yesterday it was wildflowers and herbs. Today was trees and perennials. Sold all the Japanese maples and mountain ash that we took. Lavender and lily of the valley by the flats. Also traded a shrub to a lady for some nice starts of pink lily of the valley.
    I tease the ladies down there that this show is my vacation every year. I don't get to go much and this show is so fun that despite all the work it is the greatest. If i could do this show once a month I could quit work.
    Had a great weekend but now I am exhausted so will see you guys later.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast