+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camellia seeds

Question Camellia seeds

Have been given some fresh camellia seeds ... with no instructions on planting other than "just stick in the ground and leave them alone over the winter"

Is this the best method ... or should I use the seed starter packs and keep under lights?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

This is what I have done in the past, and it works for me...

Use a sharp pointed knife, and nick into the hard seed coat, pulling a small portion of the coat away. Place the seed in damp, not too wet, peat moss in a zip lock bag (zipped shut). Place the zip lock bag of seeds in peat moss in the bottom of your refrigerator for about 8 weeks. Then plant in a container in indirect light or under florescent lights. Keep moist.

The reason you were told to put them in the ground is because stratification will take natures course, and the harder outer coat will break down during the cold, damp months of winter. Stratifying them in the frig mimics this process, and you don't have to worry about hungry varments like squirrels or mice digging them up or eating them.

Also, some seed require a cold dormant period just as they would get in nature before they will germinate. Typically, these are the non-tropical seeds that in nature thrive and germinate naturally after a good, long and cold winter.

Camellia seeds are particularly difficult. Make sure your soil mixture is sterile or fungus will attack the large seed, and they will rot leaving nothing left to germinate.

Good Luck, Jim!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread