+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clematis....

Clematis....

What a delight! I came home today to find these two beauties finally open!

You see, the Clematis is not new to me. I have known about them for a long time, but I was discouraged from growing them. Now, I am told that I can grow them given the right conditions, and the blooms I see today are proof that I am trying.

I decided to take this picture further away from the blooms so that you can get a better idea of the size of the blossoms compared to the chain link. Even with that, though, if you have not seen this particular variety bloom, it is hard to imagine such large, brilliantly colored flowers. This one is 'Dr. Ruppel'.

This one was started from a cutting about 18 months ago. I am sure it is going to be hungry and need some fertilizer, so I am hoping that one of you with more experience with the clematis can give me some recommendations?

Here's the picture:

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, My GOSH!

Do I remind you of a kid in the candy store? Well, sometimes, I feel like one!

The blooms are even bigger today! Here are the pictures of yesterday and today, side by side....

What a TREAT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Beautiful!

Ann,
    They sure are beautiful. I went to Sam's Club last week and they had a display of plants. I picked up 3 different clematis (4 in a pk), 2 different peonies (5 in each), dahilas 4 different kind (3 of each), anemones (150), and asactic lillies (24). They had them for 11.44 a pkg. Hopefully I can get them to grow!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Shucks, Vicki!

I haven't been to Sam's Club in over 6 months. I want to go so bad, just don't have the time.... Now, you just made it harder!

Oh, well, I don't have that much longer before this semester will be completed. There's a lot of work to do between now and then, though and the dreaded finals.... 5 finals in one week! YUK!

Here I am at the candy store again! Another bloom...

Gives a better indication of how the blooms change in size and color after they open.

I have a feeling this thread may become a long one. I see another variety starting to open today, and it will be my first time to see this particular bloom also...

Hopefully, it won't be raining so that I can start taking pictures of it, too! Do I remind you of a new MOM?

What FUN! LAS!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Congratulations Mom, what beautiful babies you have. Have you seen some of the new clematis that have the almost bell shaped blooms? They are pretty. Do you have the wild clematis in Texas?
    I need to read the instructions on our digital camera and take pictures of my lady's slippers that are in bloom now. They are so unusual.
    For valentines day I got some big boxes of miniature glads and some caladiums. We have potted them up to sell. The glads are shades of red,yellow and orange. They are very pretty. Also $11.98 a box. Some with 60 bulbs, some had 100 in them. We went back and bought 2 more colors of caladiums. They are very slow to come up. I think they must make the root first before the leaves come up. I can't wait to see them.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Ann,

You will really love Dr. Rupple after it gets some size to it, plant wise. I've had one planted right next to a Redbud tree for several years now and it just gets better and better. Last fall I finally pruned it back to about 12 inches to encourage more vining this year. However, befor I did that I had 'pegged' a couple of errant shoots into a lage bottomless clay pot that also sits next to the tree (it has a lovely Hosta in it). Anywho, I noticed this spring that it did take root and will have another vine to train up into the tree.

I brought home a more dead than alive seedling from Wally World (where I work) last summer, well the little darling actually bloomed last summer, which really was a surprise. This year it is sending up 4 or 5 big new shoots from the roots. I'm exceited to see how well it blooms this year. It is one called/named "Polish Spirit' and is growing on the north side of an arch that I placed between the double patios in my back yard. I have 'Nellie Mosser' (spell?) planted on the opposite side. The arch is a rather drab green metal thing and I have been covering it with branches pruned off the Redbud and other trees to give it more character. It will look awesome this summer when the two Clematis are in flower. I have 'Rouge Cardinal', a deep red, and a "Sweet Autumn" that share another arch that spans the sidewalk at the back of the house. I have to keep the "Sweet Autumn" pruned back or it takes over! I really should move it to a better location wher it can really grow and show it's full beauty. It can get 30 feet tall!

"Polish Spirit" is a dark blue purple with only four petals, "Nellie" is a lovely pink. I have another that I also rescued last summer and wintered it over in a pot. Can't recall the name right off, but I think it is a white. It would be perfect opposite 'Rouge Cardinal'; now I just need to figure out where to put the Sweet Autumn!

Sorry I don't have photos to show you, but since these are all older cultivars it should be easy to find photos of them through a web search.

Never be afraid to try new things!

Rebecca

Excellent, Rebecca!

Rebecca,

I am so very glad that we have an experienced Clematis grower on Landspro.

Yes, this is one plant that is very new to me. During the days that I traveled in my work, I saw many of them, but I was told that they were difficult to grow here... Primarily because of our heat.

But then I met a few people were are growing them here, and they shared some of their secrets with me. Actually, they are not really secrets, but to me they were....

I have been fortunate to obtain numerous cuttings from quite a few varieties to try. They were very small cuttings, and I am so proud that most of them made it. I kept the rooted cuttings outdoors all winter, and of course, they went dormant.

You see that is another reason they are not supposed to do well so far south. I have been told that they need a cold dormant period. This winter was milder than recent winters, so I just hoped. Spring came early, and up they sprouted.

Then, whoops! There were blooms and a sudden hard freeze after a month of new growth. I was afraid I would lose the buds, so I covered them with old blankets and towels.

The other names that I remember are Multi-blue, Jackmanii and Proteus. I think there a couple more, but I really don't remember.

I know that it is time to fertilize them. Currently, I use Osmocote 14-14-14 for most of my potted plants and my beds. That is because of time constrants and because I can get it wholesale, not because it is the correct thing to use.

I suppose that in time I will need to feed them with a more specific fertilzer, but for now, that is about all I can manage.

What FUN it is to watch them grow! Seeing those huge blooms finally open is really a treat, and I had no idea that the blooms lastest so very long!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Oh my! I am far from an expert! I just plant 'em and they grow!

The very best 'secret' I can tell you about these wonderful vines is to keep a heavy layer of mulch over the roots. They love the sun and don't mind the heat, but they absolutely must have their roots kept cool and protected. Six to eight inches wouldn't be too much for your warm climent.

If you can get some Osmecote for Flowering Plants it would be benificial to apply it in early spring to encourage flower production. Some cultivars will bloom all summer, off and on after a big show in late spring. I know my red one re-blooms throughout the season. Dr. Rupple tends to give just the one big show, possible because of where it is growing (under and into the tree) If these starts take off I may move them to a more open area just to see if that would have any influence over it's bloom habits.

Happy Gardening!

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca!

Hang in there with me, okay? I am new to the Clematis world and absorbing every tip I can get!

Now, don't laugh at the setup of this one. It rooted faster than the others, so its roots are firmly planted into the ground under the one gallon pot I was rooting it in...

Currently, I have a cheapo 1 gallon $1 bucket from Dollar Tree turned upside down to support the heavy bloom until I can carefully dig this one up and either put it in a bigger pot or move it to a permanent location (where its feet will stay cool).

Here is my first Clematis 'Proteus' bloom. It is not all the way open yet, but as you can see, it is going to be mighty full!

and my first Clematis 'Carnaby' bloom! They are not as big and heavy, but the colors are so very vibrant, aren't they?

I LOVE IT! Now, if they will just continue to survive and bloom like this...

They are certainly a JOY!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

They are beauties! Love that double-double!

I never scoff at anyones growing techniques! I've used/done some pretty far out things too! My bottomless 14 inch clay pot I wrote about in a previous post didn't start out that way. Besides the clematis "pegs" I also have tulips and a very nice Hosta growing in it. I failed to move the pot one winter and the bottom fractured off of it. When I went to move it that following spring all I could do was carefully move the bigger pieces of what was the bottom out from under it since the plants had anchored themselves to the ground! I did twist the pot a few times to embed it firmly into the ground. Eventually the clay pot will crumble completely - from the bottom up - and I'll have to move the plants that are in it, but for now if the plants are happy, I'm happy!

Hint: Don't let your Clematis know they are supposed to grow (well) in your area and they will never know!

Rebecca

Talking The Double-Double....

Rebecca,

Wow! I love the double-double also. It is even prettier today....

Clematis 'Proteus'

AND there are three more blossoms on this tiny little plant! The plant is only about 1.5 feet now, and obviously, since it rooted through the holes of the pot and into the ground, I am afraid to move it any time soon.

I do believe I shall wait until after it goes dormant to dig it up and move it to a permanent location. Hopefully, between now and then, the vines will get large enough for me to root additional cuttings from it.

I have so very much to learn about this beautiful vine!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here's a pretty one from last year, its FIRST year. We expect about dozens of blooms from the 4 of them. 2 are blue, the other 2, white.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Farmer Rob; 04-27-2003 at 11:58 AM.
    From the Land of Sky Blue Waters

Welcome to the forum Farmer Rob. Beautiful clematis.
    tennessee sue

Blues...

They are so pretty!

One of the ones that I was waiting to see bloom finally did...

Multi-blue, not the multi I thought they meant by the name, but my goodness, the bloom is HUGE! I should have taken the picture a few days ago when the color was deeper. That's a 3 gallon plastic pot under it!

Yes, Welcome! Farmer Rob! As you can see, I am new to clematis, and ever so fascinated by them!

Mine are very tiny rooted cuttings, and to see them bloom is a THRILL, isn't it?

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Question Clematis

Ann:

You mentioned that your Clematis was from a rooted cutting along with several others. I only have 1 Clematis (I do not know the name) vine and would like to have others. The one that I have is staying cool because it is always in the shade of a ligustrum plant.

My question is, how do you take the cuttings from the Clematis? I have all the necessary stuff to root it after the cutting but I do not know how and I do not want to mess up the only vine that I have!

Thanx for your answer
    Dr. Jim Rhodes
    Zone 8
    SE Texas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast