+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Master Gardener Presentation Speaker - My Favorite Nursery

Master Gardener Presentation Speaker - My Favorite Nursery

You are probably wondering why I putting this under the Greenhouse and Nursery Production forum....

Well, there is a good reason!

We had a special speaker at our Master Gardener Meeting today. His name is Oliver Washington, and he is the Owner and Manager of Shore Acres Plant Farm in Theodore, AL. If anyone ever gets a chance to visit this area of the country, this nursery is very close to Bellingrath Gardens, and it is huge! In fact, you can't miss it. It is only a few miles before you get to Bellingrath on the left.

The plant list that Mr. Washington gave us included approximately 500 different varieties and colors of perennials and annuals. There are hanging baskets, mixed planters, you name it. Not included on the list are various varieties of trees and shrubs.

Mr. Washington brought a sample of his products and presented to us some of the plants that are commonly known as being difficult to grow or not recommended to grow here. He gave us numerous tips on how we can manage to make these plants thrive in our zone and in our specific climate.

Everyone, this nursery is very close to where I grew up. I have watched it grow over the years from a much smaller wholesale nursery to a large retail/wholesale nursery. It is a success story that will encourage anyone who wants to try.

Certainly, their vast knowledge of plants and the local marketplace has been critical to this success.

Also, making yourself known to the market is key, and I must admit, that this is one nursery that has done an excellent job of that! Presenting to the Master Gardeners will benefit this nursery as it definitely gave everyone more awareness of the quality and variety of plants as well as the knowledge to make sure they thrive.

Well, it seems my secret is out of the bag!

I guess what I am really trying hard to say is get involved with your community, know your plants and your market and you are well on your way!

Propagating, growing and caring for plants is only one small portion of what you need to know. Like Sue Salley put it so well recently, you must know those herbs and how to use them along with the interesting stories behind their usage.

I wish you all could have been there! You would have been as impressed as I am...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Visit Today....

Hunter and I actually managed to visit this nursery without buying anything.

I wanted to take some pictures of the workers potting plugs and cuttings, filling pots with a machine and putting on a conveyor to be watered. Unfortunately, this would have required persmission, and we just stopped by on the way to Bellingrath Gardens.

This is a wholesale and retail nursery. It is huge and contains probably more annuals than anything else.

There must be around 70 greenhouses, but we didn't have time to count them.

Here is a picture of some of them...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Now

Some pictures on the inside of the greenhouses. As you can see, they are filling up very fast.

Six packs....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Fancy basket containers...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hanging baskets....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More hanging baskets...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

4 inch pots....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another view....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More 4 inch pots....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

One of my favorite plants, the ivy geranium....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread