+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greenhouse Production of Ferns....

Greenhouse Production of Ferns....

This article is specifically about the common fern that is very popular here and nearly always sold in hanging baskets and normally called the Boston Fern...

Greenhouse Production of Ferns

My absolute favorite fern is the Japanese Painted Fern. They go dormant every year, and bounce back prettier than ever. This is not one that you grow in a pot or a hanging basket. It needs to be in your landscape. They are herbaceous, but what a sight to behold when they emerge in the spring!

I dug up a clump a couple of months back, and wouldn't you know it? I already see two more growing, so somehow I missed at least two fo them...

I didn't dig them up because I didn't want them. I simply needed to move them!

There are many kinds of beautiful fern, and it surprising how many are extremely cold hardy. They do need shade, though...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We can grow many beautiful ferns here. Cinnamon fern is a big seller as are the Japanese painted ferns.
    I want to try growing some from spores this year.
    I have some Christmas ferns that I plant in large planters nad the come back beautifully so I don't have to buy new ferns every year for my landscape. They stay outside all year. The painted fern would probably do the same. They multiply well in the container also.
    tennessee sue

My Japanese Painted Fern

The first two leaves are HUGE now, and there are dozens more sprouting...

This is a beautiful fern! Absolutely, the most colorful that I have ever seen! Ferns grow wild in our woods here, but I am in awe every year when I see this one emerge. It looks great amongst my variegated hosta, and dwarf florists hydrangeas, and makes me wish I had more shade.

Perhaps I should grow some pine trees, huh?

Here's a closeup of the 18-20" fern leaves that are probably 8-10" wide...

Can you tell that I enjoy these?

I only wish you could see the true up close colors in the veins of these leaves. There is a blend of purples, blues, maroons and pinks that is absolutely gorgeous!

Enjoying my SPRING! What is left of it, that is.... It was over 82 degrees here, and both Hunter and I are running a fever, so the air conditioner is definitely ON, and we are wearing shorts!

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread