+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greenhouse Production of Zonal Geraniums

Greenhouse Production of Zonal Geraniums

There are several types of geraniums, and many of you have never heard the most commonly marketed ones refered to as 'zonal' geraniums. Another one that is fun to grow is the Ivy Geranium. The Ivy Geranium has a more trailing nature than the zonal Geranium.

Because we get an average of 65 inches of rain fall a year, they tend to best here in pots or hanging basket. I have grown them from seeds, but they take longer than most bedding plants to grow to a blooming size from seed.

They can be allowed to go dormant and overwintered in a basement. I will try to find an article on how to do that and post it as a reply.

I choose to simply overwinter cuttings which are easily rooted and keep them warm and in a well lit area. They won't bloom much, and you have to keep an eye out for pests, but they will survive and grow again in the spring.

According to this publication, 'Geraniums rank number one in terms of units sold among flowering potted plants and number three in terms of wholesale value.' As the publicaton also points out, Red is a favored color, but in recent years I have seen some variegated, and salmon colored geraniums that were exceptionally pretty.

Here is the publicaton...

Greenhouse Production of Zonal Geraniums

Again, these are annuals, ie., bedding plants, but keep in mind that annuals and bedding plants provide a 'repeat' business, meaning you get sales from the same customers time and time again! And annuals/bedding plants are fast growers and usually easily grown from seeds, plugs and/or cuttings.

And quite frankly, women tend to love flowering plants that are easy to plant and grow!

Hope that helps!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bumping

For Randy....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread