+ Reply to Thread

Thread: first flower

first flower

first flower

Hi gang. I've been having computer problems and have missed ou all but I am back now.
    It has rained here I think for 40 days and nights (or so it sems). But today we got a break and had sunshine and mid 60's. I had a wonderful springlike day outside and in the greenhouse.
    It is still not spring here but I did see my first flower in bloom today. What a sweet surprise. It is a little miniature iris. This one is yellow and I also have blue and purple. They bloom even before the crocus. It put the cap on a perfect day.
    Just wanted to touch base and catch up on some reading of past forums I missed. Lots of good stuff.
    Anne, we will support you whatever you do, and you know what is best for the forum. Good luck.

tennessee sue

Restored Reply!

Thanks, Sue!

And thanks for passing word along to me thru Pat that you were having computer problems. I am surely glad to know that they are fixed. You were missed!

I am scratching my head as to what to do next, but I think I shall just give it a break for the night and think about propagation and all those beautiful blooms that I saw sprouting in my landscape!

Then maybe get some sleep, huh?

It is a beautiful time of the year, isn't it?

Sue, we are so glad you are back!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

spring

Ann, Spring is certainly my favorite time of year even if it is our busiest. But it is not quite spring here yet. We are to have snow flurries tonight. But the daffodils are starting to send up shoots and some things are trying to bud out. It is my favorite thing to
    walk around the farm and see what is peping up. It gives me great hope and optimism to see this miracle of rebirth.
    We have been sowing seeds, potting and repotting this weekend. Most everything in the unheated greenhouse seemed to overwinter very well. My rosemary is so beautiful I had to pot it to a much larger pot. This is so much fun it isn't even like work. We'll see next wek as I have a large order of plants due to arrive. I love it though and can't wait. Just hope its warm.
    Hope school is going well for you.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

It seems that I go through this state of awe every year when plants start to emerge from their dormant state and more and more blooms start to add color to the landscape. It is definitely a fun time of the year!

It's been a little cooler today, in the upper 50s, but I find myself having difficulty fighting this tremendous urge to take some of these potted plants back outdoors to enjoy some of the rain that is headed our way.

My miniature daffodils and paper whites have already finished their bloom cycles and are trying to go to seed. The regular daffodils are currently in bloom with more and more blossoms opening every day.

The yellow Carolina Jasmine which has gotten huge, is now loaded with blooms and has plenty more buds ready to open. One of my pear trees is in bloom and most of the leaves have emerged.

I see a few blooms on the azaleas with many more flower buds forming.

My clematis cuttings are coming out of dormancy. I am thrilled that these made it. They are not easy to grow here, and they are still very tiny.

Many of my daylilies never went completely dormant. The ones that did are springing up everywhere, even the ones in pots still.

The canna lily leaves are emerging and are about 2 inches tall. The hardy amaryllis leaves are sprouting in the beds.

The variegated perennial vinca has been blooming for a couple of weeks.

There are blooms on my neighbor's blueberry bushes as well as their apple and plum trees.

The Confederate Rose (a type of hibiscus and not really a rose) never died back to the ground this year. The 15 foot tall branches are still green underneath. This is unusual and tells me that our winter has been milder than normal.

The yellow banks rose leaves are sprouting, I see flower buds that will open in the next week or two.

Sedum Autum Joy has flower buds formed, and the Sedum Frosty Morn has new leaves which are finally starting to show their variegation.

The camellias are still in full bloom and some still have many buds yet to open. This has been an outstanding year for the camellias. The blooms have been smaller, but I don't recall ever seeing this many blooms at once on them.

I have seen red buds in bloom in several areas of town, but my neighbor's is just now starting to show color...

What a Joy this time of the year is! Between this transition of the Landspro web server and the site of spring emerging, I am having a little difficulty getting my mind back on my studies...

Having a little one home for the holidays is not helping either!

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    So glad you have your little fellow home. I can tell he is the light of your life.
    Boy you guys are way ahead of us climate wise. I can't wait.
    Have you tried propagating your lady banks rose? If so how did you do it?
    I've tried with no luck. I was going to try a mason jar this year.
    They are a beautiful plant and no thorns.
    tennessee sue

Yes, Hunter is the love of my life. There is something about unconditional love. No matter what happens, he will always love me. That means a LOT! He is lacking in attention right now, so I have been trying a little harder to give him those extra special moments...

The yellow banks rose that I have was a cutting from my neighbor's. I made a mistake and planted it near the corner of my fence. My neighbor planted a young pine seedling grown especially for International Paper, the former employer of my neighbor.

Well, needless to say, it now gets too much shade, so I need to make more cuttings and plant them in full sun....

I have been very successful in the past using the same methods as I use for roses - Antique Roses by Stem Cuttings

Oh, and guess what! I have a purple flowered Lady Banks. I don't have the White one, but when I found a purple one, I just had to have it. It is not in the ground yet, and I have made many cuttings. The flower is a little larger than the yellow, the flower petals a little larger and it is not as doubled or covered as much in blooms as the yellow one, but the dark lavender flowers are very pretty...

And the Purple Lady Banks is also thornless...

Have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks Ann. I will try that this year.
    I've never heard of a purple lady banks rose. How about a cutting? I bought mine for $1. at Lowes close of season sale a couple of years ago. I love yellow flowers so I am thrilled with all the beautiful litle yellow blooms..
    tennessee sue

Re: Yellow!

Yellow has always been Hunter's favorite color...

Before he was in kindergarden, he called it 'ello'. He couldn't seem to manage the 'y' part.

So, one of my gardens, next to his bedroom window is dedicated to the 'ello' garden....

I will root a cutting of your choice, just for you, just send me an address and be patient with me. Life ain't easy right now...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sue,

Just wanted to let you know that your purple Lady banks rose is doing fine. I am so far behind on everything....

The yellow Lady Banks are blooming now, but the purple blooms later.

Anyway, this one has your name on it, and it simply getting BIGGER! I will have to pot it up in a larger pot, though, since I can't ship it right now.

A pic of my yellow blooms....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann & All,
    To think I'm all geeked out seeing the phlox up a 1/2 inch. Actually have quite a few others just popping up. My daffs are up about 2 inches. I did successfully root some roses I got in a trade last summer. I just hope they made it thru the winter.
    I can't remember their names off the top of my head. I also received a seven sister rose plant. Should be knowing in a couple weeks what made it and what didn't. Although the hosta do take longer to emerge.

Can't hardly wait for my first flower!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Hosta question at end of diatribe ;-)
    First flowers at my house were daffodils; for some reason one daffodil bloomed with 2 flowers way ahead of all the others --an early bloomer and the rest have yet to follow--the 2 flowers have held up in good shape for more than 2 weeks. Gypsy Girl crocus is up. I also planted Pickwick crocus but it hasn't shown yet, nor have any tulips or hyacinths--dutch iris have leaves but nothing else. The phlox(rescue), salvia(rescue), plumbago(rescue), daylilies, cone flowers, BE Susans, and some canna are sending up shoots. Set out some new astilbe and hosta and statice. Funny story about some of the daylilies. I had dug out some native lilies and what I didn't give away ended up tossed in clumps which I tried to cover with plastic but that didn't work well. I remembered someone on the board saying they had done something similar and that's kinda why I ended up doing that too(I had run out of time with the weather)--anyway for all that abuse they are growing leaves like crazy !
    Hosta question- The hosta came with roots and shoots but everything is white. I knew enough not to bury the crown but those funky white shoots were confusing; I left them topside and threw a little straw on top--is that alright ? It's Undulata Medio Variegata .
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread