+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plant tags, labels ,software & printers

Plant tags, labels ,software & printers

Hi all ,
    we all know about the cheap and easy handmade plant tags.
    tounge depressor's// miniblind scraps etc.
    for those of you looking for the profesional look maybe this will help.
    software http://www.gardenware.com/
    horticulture printers http://www.horticulturalprinters.com/
    label companies heres one. www.economylabel.com
    this one has a different slant on things and supplies.
    www.a-roo.com
    and another called www.advantagelabel.com
    heres one www.jhc.com the john henry co , they make labels ,a little pricey but attractive for POP sales . POP means point of purchase.
    some of these websites i have visited some i have catalogs for , some i am going to look at more closely.
    if anyone finds a valid pro or con about any of these post it here.
    this is something i have to do for me and my biz to free up some time to make more plants.and to have a professional look.
    its a real pain to write a thousand of this and 500 of that plant
    and sometimes i miss spell a word . ten or twenty of each is no problem but i am expanding every day . i could have written quite a few just now instead of this post ,i chose to spread the info instead to my friends on LP.
    look it over i know this info isnt for everyone!
    shepp zone 5/6
    ps i dont endorse any of this info and if it conflicts with LP feel free to delete.

Shepp,

Thanks so much your time and efforts! I know you are working full time, and building a full time nursery business, so each and every minute you spend to help Landspro is greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about conflicting with Landspro affiliates.... Currently, I want what is best for Landspro members and guests. My philosophy is that what is best for all of you is best for Landspro....

I am hoping others will share this type of information that is so very important to all of us, so I encourage links without regard to $. In the end, it will all work out for the best for all of us.

All I ask is that links be of the appropriate subject matter, and all of you are very good at that...

Thanks, again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shepp

At least two of these companies will be at the CENTS show. I have lots of questions but if they will hold up to watering and weather even for short while (3 months minimum) it seems like good idea.

I found some copper rose tags that can be used for permanent labeling. Write in the copper and its there for ever. Good for stock plants, beds, etc.

Writing on tags is slow and no matter how careful or clear your hand writing looks amature to me. Mikes stamps are a little better but still not a competitive professional look. 100's are a pain. Print & stick seems an improvement. I want software with spell check.

There are inks that will bind to plastic so they will not run. Don't know how much or if they will work with laser printer. My HP can handle some fairly thick stock, more concerned about ink.
    Last edited by jimlang; 01-12-2003 at 11:32 AM.

Shepp
    Here is another www.mastertag.com they are very good and will custom design them with your logo on them. Also Parks Wholesale sells the tags also and will also custom design them for you.

Jim Lang
    I just started buying aluminun tooling foil from the craft store it comes in a 12 inch wide by 36 inches long for $3.69 a roll I cut mine out with a old pair of scissors into tags 3/4 inch by 3 inches long. Place it over several sheets of newspaper for cushion and write on it with a dull nail. Poke a hole threw one end and wire it to your mother plants.
    Also know of one Nursery that uses little 8 inch ceramic tile and paints on them with a paint marker . She puts the name ,price, and if it likes sun or shade ect. These are than hot glue to a stake and place in front the plants.Really neat and will last and last. I'm asumming she can scrape off the old price and updated it from year to year. If you want to go this route go to Lowes or Home depot and ask for there rejects or leftovers.
    Gene

Gene

Great idea son-in-law is in tile business -- costs of leftover's is considerably less than Lowes.

CHEAP LASER PRINTERS

Of course, you guys all know ebay! Printers are in the main dirt cheap now. You will probably want to have a dedicated printer to do your labels. You can hook it up to your PC network as Printer 1, Printer 2, it might be necessary to add a 2 PORT USB PCI Card to your computer, most of them are now Plug and Play. My last Lexmark cost $49 after the rebate.

If you don't find a good quality LASER PRINTER in your price range locally, let me tell you where to hunt. Every large metropolitan law firm that has 25-50 lawyers has these things all over the place, some are shared by two secretaries and some are individual to a certain machine. For the most part, even the lawyers have them as well as the secretaries. Hewlett Packard laser printers have been around since the way 80s to the best of my memory, maybe even before. They were very sturdily built with metal not a lot of plastic, and you should be able to pick one up with its instruction and maintenance book for about $100 bucks or less.

Just type up a simple inquiry letter, telling them that you want a recycled printer to print up nursery tags once you determine what your needs are and see what is out there. Every law firm has a extra parts room, some they keep good printers on hand to hook up for rush jobs, and they are always UPGRADING, so the old stuff is not that bad. Check it out. For the best results, since these are busy places, make a few phone calls and compile a list of "the managing partners" and the name of the Office Manager and Systems Administrator. Take the time to hand address this as personal mail to that individual, gives you a better chance of not winding up in the round file, and getting your one page inquiry a reading. Don't forget to put your contact information on there and the hours when you can be reached by phone, etc.

I haven't priced a new laser lately but I think BRAND NEW is in the $583 range right now, have catalogs all over the place, no time to read them.

The government auction also puts hundreds of things like that out, of course you might find atomic secrets or plans for the Iraqi war ffom 1978 in there! They have a website online, I think you need Adobe Acrobat to access it.

Rolling in dough? If you come across some really sweet deals, get a couple of extras and "double your money" on ebay, purchaser pays shipping cost.
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

Here is the link i said i would get

http://www.retailserviceco.com
    you decide.
    the stand alone printer is in this site. it has a keypad ,no need to hook it up to PC.
    for myself i need to know how much ink cartridges are etc.
    699.oo aint real bad considering some software is 440.oo just to make some labels.
    maybe Ann can write some software we can all use.
    what do you all think.i have my old pc still and could load it and make great laminated cards for the farmers market. add a thermal printer to it and be in biz. no more hand writing on rainy days.
    shepp zone 5/6

Shepp
    I know a retailer that has a printer but had to buy the ink like 6 cartriges at a time ,I don't know for what reason if it was cost saving or what.But the ink would only last six months he tried to save them by putting in a refrigerator but they still spoiled. I can't back this up so make it an effort to ask when ordering.
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread