+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bromeliads

Bromeliads

While I was checking on things in my old greenhouse, I noticed a few of my Bromeliad plants and blooms.

I thought I would share of few pictures of my blooms, then share in some articles and pictures that I found on the internet...

This one is in need of dividing which I hope to do before next winter. If you look closer on the left of the image, you will see a bloom that is currently formiing.

This is a smaller variety.

This one has clusters of blooms that are starting to fade. I wish that the lighting and my camera would show the true brilliant glow in the colors of these tiny blooms. They look as if they would shine in the dark...

I found this article on a NEAT and unusual method of growing them from seed. The top image looks very similar to the one I have with the clusters of tiny blooms. Even if you have a dial up link, it is worth it to take the time to load this page.

Bromeliad Care - Special Topics - Growing from Seed

Here is another good article written by the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Service...

Save Florida's Bromeliads - Collecting Bromeliad Seeds (Acrobat Format)

and for those of you not familiar with the many varieties of Bromeliads and their fantastic blooms:

Good Search Result - Bromeliad Images

TIp:

For those of you not familiar with the Image search on Google, simply type in the name of the plant, then instead of clicking on SEARCH, click on IMAGES. You will often get very many pages....

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Propagated Bromeliads

Bromeliads are easily propagated by division. Most Bromeliad will multiply quite rapidly.

Caring for them is very easy, but most of them are extremely tropical and cannot withstand even the lightest frost.

As you can see from the articles in the previous post, they can also be propagated from seed. I haven't tried that yet. Hopefully, one day I will.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Such a treat to see every winter. I thought that this one came from a school for special needs children, but Mama told me it came from my grandmother's in Bayou La Batre. Billbergia Nutans, Queen of Tears, Friendship Plant...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread