+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weather

The Weather

Merry Christmas, Y'all!

Now don't throw rotten termaters wrapped up in snowballs at me, but the temperature here today is 64 degrees. They are projecting a low of 30 for Christmas morning, so that will then be our first frost in this area this year if it occurs.

I noticed there is Sweet Autumn Clematic blooming out in the side yard and my paper whites are spottingly trying to put on a show.

Bulls' Blood Beet seeds are up, on top of refrigerator with a cover, just sprouting a beautiful red. Here's a novel approach to bottom heat, put the little puppies in their container on top of the coffee maker!

I have several kinds of lettuce sprouting along the walk in 18 gallon dishpans as containers. I am going to try to let them grow out in the containers, and transplant the thinouts to the garden.

It doesn't seem cold enough for the old Ho-Ho-Ho! Yet, but I have been on the beach at Port Bolivar on Christmas Day with a jacket still in the car. Sometimes it doesn't seem quite fair, the birds don't even have sense enough to know it is WINTER!
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

weather

It,s colder that 30 here now. We did have a day this week up to 58 and it was so nice. Moved some more plants in for the winter.
    We are supposed to have some snow for Christmas.

The only thing we are propagating now is cactus in the house!
    Happy holidays to you down in sunny Texas.
    tennessee sue

Hi,
    The weather here in West Mich. is a chilly 31.7 degrees. With the whippin' wind though feels like 13. It warmed up last week to the high 40's and melted the little bit we had. Then had a couple days of rain. Tues it was very icy here, travel warnings and the whole bit. Snow depth is a scanty 2" now. So at least we will have a white christmas. So soak up some sun for me!

Merry Christmas!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I lived in Denver, Colorado area for about 15 years where after Thanksgiving through April you need a snow brush on your dashboard and have to scrape ice off your windshield just to go to 7-11 for a loaf of bread! You get so used to walking in snow that you miss it when it is gone. Therefore, here I keep waiting for "winter to come", but I guess as an older person I appreciate the warm weather, less aches and pains, until of course, the weather changes and the barometer drops. I think winter sports are fun for children. Besides not having enough chill factor to grow any significant fruit other than citrus, also, have a temperate zone year round is kind to the El Cucarachas and their 3 million variety of bug cohorts that live in my garden! I had a mosquito chasing me yesterday, we have had incidents of the West Nile down here so for that reason alone, people are hoping for a good cold spell for at least a few days.
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

Temp

Its 55 at my barn here in (near)Nashville,Tn. today. We'll pay later,they are talking snow Wed. for here,crazzy weather.
    William B.

About other links outside this site

I was looking in the instructions for using the forums to see if it was okay to add outside links if you find something spiffy to share with out other gardeners. I just wanted to tell the folks about www.victoryseeds.com and Mike Dunton who is starting a test garden feature this spring as soon as he gets organized. That's where I found the Bull's Blood beet seed from that I had read about when they were featured as a decorative plant in the Women's Walk at NY Botanical Garden website. He wants to reach gardeners in many different growing zone areas of the country to get feed back from test plots. Since these are open pollinated seeds, you can save seeds that you grow from your plants.

These beet seeds just are jumping out of the ground, they are so fresh and vital. Victory Seeds only sells organic and open pollinated. These were reasonably priced and wonderful! I ordered one of every beet they have because I am going to grow some of them and compare them, and if anyone has a source for sugar beets that I haven't found yet, I am looking for some of those too. I think Cook's Garden or the Italian seeds website might have those.

I planted my Bull's Blood on the 18th and today the 21st I think it is the ones on the refrigerator are showing a lot of red and some of the seedlings are over one inch tall. Good stuff!

I find that there are moderate high rainfall areas of Oregon on the West Coast and New Jersey on the East Coast that have similar biosystems to the coastal areas of Texas so I expect to have pretty good results in using seeds from those areas.
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

Wow!

Marguerite!

You get my weather the day before I do.... Actually, I have known this since a child. We have many relatives in your vicinity, and some of my childhood was spent in a beautiful little town called Palacios, TX which is on the Texas coast halfway between Houston and Corpus Christi.

I imagine there was a high of about 78 degrees today, and I worked outside much of the day. It was rather warm and many residents of my neighborhood were wearing shorts, myself included....

Hey! I also noticed that some of my paperwhites have actually bloomed! What a beautiful site in my garden as they start showing their clusters of pretty little faces when everything else is starting to go dormant. I have them in my daylily beds and as the daylily foliage starts to die, the blossoms start to appear on the paperwhites!

As long as they are helpful and of interest to members of Landspro, I welcome and encourage links on Landspro so, please do share the wonderful sites you find with all of us....

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Annual Treats

It is a wonderful sight when the world is all white and clean looking. I love it when fresh snow comes, and the pines are all loaded with white and green, and the dark trunks of the strong bare hardwoods are outlined and so vivid. But even here in our deep south, we also have winter wonderlands. Not the dramatic sudden snows, but more subtile things that are very refreshing, and a reminder of "life after winter" I have attached just a couple of reminders that I hope you enjoy. Our camelias will be in full bloom duriing Jan and Feb, depending on the cultivar.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Camellias

Tom and Everyone!

My camellias are loaded with buds this year... The red 'Professor Sargent' has already started to bloom providing me a Christmas cheer.

My camera doesn't seem to want to pick up the red in the bright sunlight that we had today. It was 75 degrees an hour or so ago, but to my dismay, it will get down to mid 20's the day after Christmas.

Well, even though my camera doesn't seem to like red, here are some pictures of camellias that are now starting to bloom...

And to my joy, even though we have already had several frosts, my Lavender Lantana is still in bloom. Not a Christmas RED, but still a pretty sight! At least I should have another day or two to enjoy these...

Merry Christmas, Everyone!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Christmas blooms

We're supposed to have a dusting of snow tomorrow for a white Christmas. We don't have any beautiful camelias in bloom but I did see some winter pansies in bloom today.Not as showing but still a welcome site to us here. Enjoy any cold weather. Maybe it will kill the skeeters and other critters. We hope so anyway.One thing I love about this site is hearing about what goes on in other climates. It's fun to see your plants in bloom when we are expecting snow. Hope everyone has a great Christmas .
    tennessee sue

camellias

Mine are kicking up some color, too. There a red/white peppermint stripe along the sideyard fence, then out in the little folly my pop built (this has a wisteria canopy in the late spring and the roof of the shed will turn purple also) there is a large about 6 inch camellia, bittersweet coral with large yellow pistils kind of like hisbiscus sticking out, and there is a gorgeous double magenta behind that, looks more like a peony, and to the side there are a couple more of the red/white peppermint stripe. It has petals and a rose-like form more like the photo posted here. The whole area is covered with English ivy which is some cases has run up a couple of tree victims and look like the kudzu trees in Georgia. It is an interesting little garden he put together there. In the spring the whole back of this area is covered with Louisiana blue iris. I've love to thin it out and reconstitute some of but heaven only knows what is "lurking" under all that thick ivy understory. If I can't see where I am putting my hands, those little fingers do not go! Picked up too many snakes in a handful of grass around here before. I am getting too old to dance a good hissy fit, which is a cross between an Irish jig and a leaping ballet! With a little whirling dervish thrown in.
    What I cannot figure out are those silly Sweet Autumn Clematis still climbing up the trees! Guess I'll have to change their names to Sweet Spring Clematis if they don't get the "hint" pretty soon. My Lemmon's Marigold across the front border of the house are putting on a neat show. These make huge mounds like mums about 3 feet tall and almost every square inch on it has a little yellow daisy. The leaves are very ferny and lacy looking. I have trouble in believing all of those plants came from cuttings from two plants my friend Rachel gave me. They are everywhere!
    Well, we had a big thunderstorm yesterday and today was mighty brisk so we might make it down into the 30s tonight after all, they said the low would be 30. The chill factor supports it. It's definitely red flannel weather, called long handles in Texas.
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

More Camellias

Tom,

I do believe my neighbor's camellias are similar to yours. They were planted by a previous owner with a family background in tree/shrub nurseries... The next time I spot him in the store, I will be sure to ask him if he knows the name of this one.

Here is a closeup of one of the flowers:

Our camellias are definitely loaded with buds and should be covered with blooms sometime in the coming month...

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Unbelieveable!

Still looking for a little nip of frost! Weather Channel says the first time it will get into the area of 32 degrees is January 9 and 10. I'll believe it when I see it, they always say that then when the day comes it has been upgraded to 34. It's nippy out there tonight, think we had a Blue Texas Norther with a 20 mph NW headwind but nope, 41 degrees. Will the windchill alone induce dormancy in plants you are waiting to move and impatiently patting your foot? Does Mother Nature care? NO!
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

Nip, Nip, Nip....

Marguerite,

Last night was our coldest night, by far, yet...

I have a rooted cuttings that were given to me that still have not gone dormant, and unfortunately some plants have an absolute requirement for dormancy. Without that, they are difficult to grow!

I will have to remember that when I envy those zone 9 gardens that are located so near where I spent my childhood. We can't have it all ways, can we?

Here are some pictures of cuttings from a beautiful Camellia sasangua that I saw today. I didn't have my camera, and what a shame.... This camellia was absolutely covered with blooms.

It still amazes me that camellias do so well in full sun and in shade....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rooting camellias

How do you root yours? I had about 200 6 inch cuttings fully rooted and sending out new leaves year before last, just stuck in the ground around the perimeter of a circular flower bed. July came along, zap, dead. Do you keep them in pots for awhile? How large should they be before they are set right out into the garden? Yummy icecream colors on that one!

Also since you are doing camellias, these are all very mature plants, I notice that my peppermint stripe which is usually covered with blooms from head to toe this year only has a few spotted around and a little collection on top. This plant is about 8 feet tall. Isn't there some kind of fertilizing and pruning program i should follow to rejuvenate them? They were all gorgeous when my pop was living because he hovered, they probably each had first names.
    Marguerite, GrannyGarden
    www.kirbyville.net
    www.tex-la.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast