+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Ann,
    How long do armaryllis bulbs live? Mom says hers never bloom 2 yrs. in a row?

Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi Vicki,

I know you asked for Ann specifically, but I happen to be a little aquatinted with Amaryllis somewhat. Here in the deep south, we can plant them in the ground, and they will sometimes last for many years, until a really heavy frost or freeze comes along.

Like most bulbs, they are weekend during the beginning of the growth season, and flowering, and must rebuild the bulb by the end of the season. So, after care is very important for next and subsequent seasons. After the danger of frost is past, and its starting to get really warm in Mich. you can move the pot out of doors, in mostly shade, and let the process finish out there.

Iíll include a very good article that you can use for the rest of information she needs to have repeat Amaryllis for many years.

Good luck
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

sorry

Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, Tom!

Vicki,

I have found that those that I have managed to plant in the ground do rebloom better than the ones that I leave in pots. Also, the blooms are larger, but I have to be careful to plant them in higher ground where it doesn't flood.

Here is another good link:

Growing the Delightful Amaryllis by North Dakota State University Extension Service
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tom & Ann,
    Thanks those are some great links. Our local Meijer's has them for $5.00 a bulb, or a bulb & pot for $10.00. I just have to have one, they are so beautiful.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Amaryllis in My Flower Bed!

Vicki,

As anyone that knows me will tell you, I do adore my Amaryllis. They are one of my favorite plants. They don't seem to mind my neglect and lack of watering them in the house. This is a feature that is a plus for my busy lifestyle...

The Amaryllis that are sold here are considerably less expensive than yours. The lesser expensive ones are about $4 and that includes potting media and an inexpensive pot which will probably last you one year if placed outdoors. The more expensive ones are usually a larger bulb size which produce more than one bloom stalk and some of the double varieties as well as a nicer pot. These will cost aproximately $6.

The most expensive are the larger size and more hard to find varieties which can run about $10. Included with these are more quality pots.

A few years back, I purchased one that came without a pot. I planted it in my flower bed. Even though it was a really large bulb, it failed to bloom the first year, but it did produce healthy leaves. This past spring, it bloomed and the blooms were larger than any in my collection. They were enormous.

I do believe it enjoyed its new home in the ground as there were numerous bloom stalks and many, many flowers.

I tried to hand pollinate it, but for whatever reason, it did not produce seeds.

Here is the picture that I took:

I have lost track of the name of this one, but it looks an awful lot like 'Apple Blossom'.

As you know, the blooms last a very long time and my neighbors thoroughly enjoyed this one...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More - Double Amaryllis Blooms....

Amaryllis 'Lady Jane'

Amaryllis 'Philadelphia'

My camera is not capturing the colors exactly right, but at least you can get an idea of what they look like...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lucky Strike

Hi,
    Well went to meijers and bought myself a 'Lucky Strike' amaryllis bulb & pot. For $5.00, they were 50% off! The flower stalk is about 1 1/2" tall. and there are 2 coming out. Is the moss for on top of the pot after you plant it? They had a couple 'apple blossom' but the blooms were about 8" and growing all crooked and weird. So I just bought the 'Lucky Strike'. The tag shows a beautiful red bloom. Can hardly wait!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Nice!

A very pretty DEEP RED. I do not have one of those... Good buy, Vicki! Not a common one....

Here is a link with a picture:

http://www.leoberbee.com/acatalog/luckystrike.jpg
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

thanks!

Hi,
    What about the moss that comes with it? Do I put that on top of the soil mixture?

Also what about the bulbs that have started to send out blooms and they are all crooked? I was going to offer the garden manager a dollar each for the other 10 they had left. They should be alright, just have some crooked blooms, right?
    Last edited by vicki; 12-27-2002 at 10:56 AM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Yes, if it is Spanish moss, it looks very nice when put on top of the soil.

And, yes, just let them grow crooked. They will still bloom and will be very pretty. Be sure to hand pollinate them. The seeds do not stay viable for more than a few months, but they can easily be started indoors, then set outside in the part shade after all danger of frost. The seedlings grow amazingly fast.

Enjoy, Vicki!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Amaryllis

Ann,
    In the christmas plants thread the plant_guy (TomG.), posted a link to his site. http://www.amaryllisgarden.com/. Nice pics.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi,
    I can hardly believe my amaryllis flower stalk is now 7". The little one is 1 1/2"! I'm going to borrow my brothers digital camera and take a picture of it when it blooms. Was that only 5 days ago, that I planted it! Hard to believe.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I know that I have some that are not getting as much sun as they need, and it is too late to move them. My 'White Christmas' has 2 stalks which are about 18 Inches tall. That is not at all a bad height.

I have a 'Mary Lou' that will open in the next week that has a 31 inch stalk and is definitely reaching for light, so I need to move it or it will fall over.

I prefer the stalks to be about 14 inches, but that is sometimes hard to achieve....

It is quite FUN, isn't it? Wait until you start measuring the size of the blooms! They are spectacular...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Smile It Blooms!

Hi All,
    I only have a few minutes but wanted to tell you that my amaryllis is absoutely BEAUTIFUL! It bloomed 16 days after I planted it. With the blooms open it is about 15 inches tall. The blooms are at least 6" across. Friends come in and see it they all say the same thing, WOW! The blooms opened 1 at a time. and the little stalk didn't start noticeable growing until they were opened on the other one. I am glad I bought this bulb!

Hope you all are having a wonderful New Year!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast