+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Christmas cactus

While everyone is comparing hippeastrums, I am keeping a close eye on this Schlumbergera seedpod:

2010-12-02seedpod by lb_philly, on Flickr

Mom is red, dad is white, and I believe the babies are due any day. It was pollinated last Christmas, give or take a week.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

wow, talk about patience! A full year for the pod to ripen? How long until you are able to see the fruits of your labor in a blooming baby?

PR

Wow!! Laura
    I still call it Zygote - I've grown the Schlumbergera for years and never seen a seed pod.
    Abby

OMGoodness...now that's awesome! I've seen seeds for sale but never SEEN a seed. Hope you post a photo of the pod and seeds at the grand opening.
    Patsy

Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    OMGoodness...now that's awesome! I've seen seeds for sale but never SEEN a seed. Hope you post a photo of the pod and seeds at the grand opening.
    I'll post pictures. I've never done this before, but some instructions on Teh Intarwebs say I should let the seeds dry for a day and then plant them on the surface of potting medium, where they will germinate in "a few weeks" -- or keep them in the fridge for up to a year. As if...

PhoenixRyan, it's supposed to take 2-4 years before I'll see flowers. I don't expect anything spectacular. I just was passing by the plant (two varieties planted in one pot actually) with a clean paintbrush in my hand and, well, you know how that goes. Pollen from the red onto the white flower didn't take, but vice-versa did.

After doing this once for the fun of it, I think I'll be content to root cuttings. My 'gold charm' and 'xmas flame' are both ready for serious haircuts.

EDITED TO ADD: In case anyone is curious, the seedpod hasn't slowed down flower formation on the rest of the plant one little bit. There's even a bud in the pod's leaf segment, a couple joints up.
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3