Thread: Christmas cactus

Bump, for Cathy...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ann !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

The blooms show better if the plant is pruned back. My blooms are all facing downward because the segments have multiplied and become too lengthy.

Just more plants for next year, huh?

I hope!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have lots of different colored Christmas Cactus. I've ordered a yellow one 4 times, always out of stock til last year. It bloomed but wasn't yellow. I was in Lowe's last night and lo and behold there was a yellow cactus in bloom. Boy I grabbed it up quickly as it was the only yellow one.
    Before I got 3 feet a lady stopped me and asked where I got it. I showed her but since there were more yellow I gave her a piece of mine. She was as happy as I was.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

I bought a small one a year or two ago because there was a pastel yellow one in it. Most of them in the little pot were pink, but I spotted that yellow one. It was beautiful and so unusual.

I don't know if I still have it. So many plants, especially the ones in smaller pots have lost their labels. I still have bits and pieces of plastic and clay from crushed pots all over the area near the leanto. When I was moving the pots from under the fallen tree, there was no time to even check on the smaller pots. I just moved them. They are still in one huge holding area. The smaller ones are lost among the larger ones which are hopefully protecting them from frost until I have time to sort and move them.

I am watching one small hanging pot and hoping that it is the one that contained the small yellow Christmas cactus. I won't know until the blossoms completely open.

I have found little leaf segments on the ground amongst the remaining debree. If not crushed, I just stick them in a community hanging pot. We will see what surprises that brings.

I will be glad when life gets back to normal. In the meantime, if you have an extra segment, can you make an extra little plant for me, just in case?

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I had gotten starts of the yellow and even had it bloom last year and then it promptly died on me. I was one of the first to chck out all the new ones when they came in to the Store and there wasn't a single one of them this year. Still have a red, dark lavender and a white but they don't seem to be happy campers in spite of the fact that they have bloomed. Leaves are shrivling up on all three and I only water when they are dry to the touch. I guess they just don't like me.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

You might try giving them more water and not letting the soil dry out. When they are young, they especially need more moisture because the roots are so very tiny and fibrous. Perhaps shriveling is an indication that they are using more water than they are storing.

I suppose mine thrive here because of the high humidity. I have seen some wilt when left too long without watering. I know that the Easter cactus especially does not like to go without water.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Some blooms fading and more opening...

I do like this plant!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A Different Color...

Not blooming as well for me this year....

Perhaps it needs repotting and more fertilizer? Or maybe a late bloomer? Not as much sun? Perhaps all of the above...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,

I do love that red one! I've had one like that blooming every winter for at least 20 years. My cats almost destroyed it last winter until I realized what was happening back in the corner. There were branches everywhere and only the main stem remaining! No problem as the stubborn old veteran looks almost on schedule for Christmas again this year.

Your instructions are exactly as I learned probably 55 years ago except for one thing. The leaf or branch was allowed to sit for several days before inserting into the soil. For some reason, my mother would even pin the leaves to a curtain of an open window. I suspect that it was to allow the broken end to scab over and dry. I still allow them to dry for a few days although we now know that it's not necessary.

Entire branches will also make roots in water. This post reminded me that I've got one large branch from an old pink & white variety that was another feline victim. Wife popped it into a wine flute 3 or 4 months ago and now it has a mass of roots and looking quite content. Missed that one when I potted everything else. For fun, I'll now wait until Christmas Day to give it a proper medium to anchor its roots in. Maybe it will reward me with blooms at Easter!

Martin

Hey, Martin! How I understand about cats and plants... If they weren't such terribly loving creatures, each with a different personality, my plants would be inside during the winter like they used to be.

The BABY cries every morning just as it is time for me to leave. I put everything down, hold her and she purrs. She knows I will be back.

Simba, the huge one (like the real Simba), adores me. But Buddy, like the name implies is more of a Papa's cat. He does love me, but I am not as important to him.

Anyway, tradition has it that we spend Christmas Eve at the home of wonderful friends. They have a HUGE Christmas cactus. When she moved it, it started losing it's blooms just as I have heard they will sometimes do...

This monster is somewhere between 3-5 feet wide depending on the angle that you look at it.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

They seem to be blooming just a few days later than usual. I need to prune them back this spring. They are getting too big for their pots!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's time to start making more of these beauties.

Rather than root them in cell paks, I plan to start some new hanging baskets of them. They should have enough time to root before winter, and I'll report whether I get blooms or not.

Martin, How are those onions doing for you? Did they survive the winter? I don't remember if I told you, but there is a small field of these down the street if you want some more.

Mine are still coming up, but they haven't spread. They seem to contain themselves in the same area where they are growing. I actually wouldn't mind if they did spread because they don't seem to interfere with the other plants around them. Ie., they are dormant in the summer and the tiny onions are so small....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's that time of the year again!

I see lots and lots of little flower buds.

Indeed, they should be blooming in time for Christmas. I hope to take some more pictures.

Anyone else want to share some images of winter blooms?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Coming to this Christmas cactus thread late. Has anyone tried propagating from seed? I cross-pollinated a red and a white on a whim this year and am waiting for the pod to mature, which I understand takes up to a year.

There are two yellows now -- gold charm and another one called 'Xmas flame,' which is a deeper color and has pinker buds. I read somewhere, too, that the colder the room where the Christmas cactus spends its time, the more the whites and yellows will tend toward pink. That may explain this one, which lived on a window sill where the temp was probably in the 50s.

Also...there's a grower in Delaware who specializes in Christmas cactus to the trade but who will do retail:

http://whittongreenhouses.com/
    Laura Blanchard
    Philadelphia PA
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast