+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dump question

dump question

What is the difference in having a greenhouse business and having a nursery business? I hope this isn't too dump a question.

thanks
    Kassy

greenhouse cp. nursery business

Kassy-actually this is a very good question, with some good input hopefully from some of the folks on this board...

I have a good friend nearby who runs a greenhouse business. He has maybe an acre under cover, and works like crazy for 6 mos of the year, and makes really good money. Employs several others plus his wife during the busy time. One incredibly hectic lifestyle, with the crops (bedding plants) turning over about 4x each season. To me, this is very much like running a factory-the plants are just widgets getting pumped out and trucked around to garden centres the faster the better.

The nursery business to me is largely woody and herbaceous ornamentals that are propagated and grown over several seasons, with or without some kind of structure to overwinter them. Much more of a low-key, plant centred business to me. Everybody will have their own take on this I suppose!--Glen in BC

Dumb Questions

Kassy

There are no Dumb Questions. This hobby or business is exactly what you want to make it hard or easy. Serious or fun it is entirely up to you. Good growing.

Jim
    Jim Lang

As Jim said, how easy or how hard you make it is up to you. I know a guy who has 2 very large greenhouses and a farm and he makes a good deal by giving people what they want. He turns the heat on in the GH around early/mid. Feb. After ramping up, he works sun-up to sun-down planting seed in plug trays, transplanting plugs to 2" pots, transplanting 2" pots to hanging baskets and transplanting 4" perennials to gallon pots. Most of what he does are the big sellers around here. He does petunia (wave and super), bedding geraniums, some herbs, pansy, marigold, alysum, and some other annuals. He devotes part of the GH to starting veggies for his farm. He opens Mother's Day Weekend (the last frost around here). He stays open for 2-3 weeks, and anything he has left, he discounts and then really discounts. If he still has anything left worth anything at that point, he donates it or sells it for almost nothing to some friends of his. At this point, he ramps up the farm, planting crops, cleaning the farm stand, etc. and the greenhouses sit empty until he gets the mum cuttings in. Back to the GH, he goes, potting up. He finishes his season around now, closes everything up, and plows snow and delivers oil for the winter. He doesn't base his future on his greenhouses, therefore, has a life much like any nurseryman... busy, not busy, busy, not, etc. If you really wanted to, in either business, you could be busy, busy, busy, or not, not, not. It really is what you make of it.

Bill Gauch.

+ Reply to Thread