+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cuttings

Cool Cuttings

What size root system would be best on fuchsia cuttings b4 transplanting to 2 inch pots????

In general, rooted cuttings do not need to be repotted to the next size until the roots outgrow their existing containers. Some plants, like African violets bloom better if they are root bound, but this is an exception.

Personally, I prefer to repot before the roots start wrapping around the bottom of the container or growing through the bottom holes. Until then, I just keep them in the smaller pots. Otherwise, the roots have to be disturbed to encourage outward growth.

Keep in mind that if you decide to keep them in the smaller pots, you will probably have to water them more often as there is less soil to maintain moisture. On the other hand, the smaller the pot, the less space required for them.

I don't think there are any set rules as to the length of the roots before repotting to the next size.

Hope that helps!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thumbs up

I rooted them in 1021 tays and want to gain more space in my propagation boxes so i went to 2 inch pots and put them on the benches so I can start more cuttimgs

Since I don't have much greenhouse space, I start seeds and cuttings in the fall in the smallest cell size that I can for that particular plant. I will keep them there as long as possible. This past year, I purchased some deeper tray cells for my cuttings. I have really enjoyed these because I can keep the cuttings in these for even longer before having to pot them up to the next size.

I also switched from the round pots to the trays of 4" square pots. Not only are they cheaper, but the trays take less room and contain 18 pots whereas the special trays for round pots only hold 15 of the round ones. Also, they fit in the web trays that I have collected over a period of time from Lowe's and Home Depot.

Unfortunately, these cheaper 4" pots are not as easily reused because they are so flimsy, but the price difference makes up for that.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

DEEP Cutting Cells

Hi! I'm having difficulty locating cell packs deep enough for sticking cuttings...sold in small quantities. (Wow, how's that for a run-on sentence?)

If you have any sources, I'd appreciate hearing about them. I checked out the Landspro sponsors to no avail.

Also, what's everyone experience with air-pruning type pots? Shepp's mentioned them in his posts...I'd appreciate hearing if they're as productive as claimed.
    Yardman
    Zone 6 SE Ohio

i started a new thread

hi leo
    i started a new thread just for suppliers of what you are looking for .
    kc schaffer doesnt have a web site.use the itml web site for some of what they supply .
    i hoped you would have picked up a catalog at the cents show.
    and bfg is so close to you i know they have it all, it may not be in stock but they can get it.
    do a search on here for"root tutor"
    you will find the thread where gene uses a 606 for his cuttings. that would be 6 cells that fit a plug tray six times. for a total of 36 per flat.
    i hope this helps.

BFG has a great catalog, but high minimums

They sound like they'd be great if you wanted to plant/start everything in the same size pot. What i was hoping to accomplish was start cuttings in a tall cell-pack while seeds could start in a lower container.
    Yardman
    Zone 6 SE Ohio

Leo
    I start my bleeding hearts and Bouganvilla in either 606 (6 packs x 6) or in a 4 pack vegatable tray which eqauls to 48 plants per 1020 tray. I haven't had much luck with fuschia they have tender roots.
    As far as seeds I plant tomatoes and peppers in flats of 512 plugs also 288 plugs. I'm also trying a few flowers seeds for a local retailer. I have built a 5 shelf stand and put florescent light fixtures on chains to adjust to the plants hieght. Whats good about this is I can lower my heat in the greenhouse to 60 degrees and save on propane. Since most plants I use need 70 to 75 degree to germinate good. I should have mention the stand is in my home.
    If you don't want to buy a case of 100 trays go to a nursery who plants there own seeds most have plug trays shipped with little plants that will give you or swap out for some of your plants.
    Gene

Leo
    You can order from www.mortonproducts.com also if you don't want to order a case witch is 100 trays. Let me know I buy them by the case believe the last case average out to 50 cent for 48 tray and 60 cents for the 36 pack. I'll ship them to you but magine your shipping would run the price up.
    Is there a big nursery that grows shrubs nearby Im sure they would give you all the plug trays and pots that they get there plugs in. This one close to the house has a mound of pots they give back to the grower if they want to cut cost but most wouldn't take them hassel of cleaning them(labor). I found several nice trays that the growers planted in that had the been used for air pruning actaully wierd looking.
    Gene

Leo, Gene and all,

I buy my stuff from Maryland Plants and Supplies and Griffins. Since I am in MD, they ship for $10 if your order is over $250, which mine usually is. They also cover DE, PA, VA and WV by truck. Don't know their shipping policies, otherwise. I don't know about Griffin.

www.MDPlantsandSupplies.com and www.griffins.com. Call them and tell them you're a grower, give them your company name and ask for a catalog. MD sells a lot of their containers in 50 lots.

Good luck.

Rob
    Last edited by BeesKnees; 02-04-2003 at 01:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread