+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mandevilla, Crepe Myrtle and Yellow Banks Rose Cuttings

Mandevilla, Crepe Myrtle and Yellow Banks Rose Cuttings

I have create a new page for my message board members. It includes pictures of Mandevilla, Crepe Myrtle and Yellow Banks Rose Cuttings.

Hope it will encourage everyone to give it a try. Click on the link below:

http://www.landspro.com/page940.htm

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

wilt proof

Pictures look great .... where do we find the wilt proof. I may have seen it somewhere but don't think so.

Currently have 4 mandivillas and will be taking cuttings very soon to give to friends ..... hopefully this will keep my black thumb from rearing its ugly head/nail or whatever.

Jim

Thank You for Sharing!

Hi!
    Those are great pictures. I never imagined it possible for a plant to form that many roots, that quickly.

As, I have just started with my growing (for the nursery) I will certainly have to get some, and add them to my collection.

I do have 3 small Crepe Myrtles, but no Mandeville, and no Yellow Banks Rose.

I've seen the Mandeville in the Garden Centers here. But never have I seen any Yellow Banks Rose for sale. From my understanding this bush has always been a "gift" to a special friend, or one of those hand me down type plants. They are quite lovely, and bloom vigorously, in early spring, til summer.
    Thank You! Of all the poeple we know I only know one who has this bush. We will have to give him a call.
    Thanks for the helpful tips AnnB.!
    Kathy in Ga

Yellow banks rose

ok ... u got me interested ... exactly what is a yellow banks rose?

I haven't been able to find it anywhere ..... which doesn't mean much ..... I am too tired to look hard.

Thanks,

Jim

Talking If I'm not mistaken!

Hi jimtx,

Yellow Banks Rose...If I'm not mistaken is...
    Let's start by the bush.

It is a bush that has many, many, stems that weep outward and downward, some people keep them trimmed to very small bushes. But they can get very huge. With a circumference of 8-10 ft. and about 6 feet tall. The stems are so thick with glossy dark green leaves that you cannot, see the inside of the bush. They bloom profusely, with about a yellow (rose like) flower. Along each stem which can be 12 ft long, (if left untrimmed) it will have a bloom every 1/2 inch.

It is really funny that I've never seen any of them in stores. I didn't even realize that until I saw Ann's pictures, and was wandering where I could get some of those plants from.
    That's when it hit me. I'm sure you have seen a few of them, but not many.
    Here there are a few, in peoples yards, but only know one person to ask for clippings.
    Sounds like we should jump on it huh?????!!!!

I'm gonna do a search and see if I can find one for you,(and me too) just to clarify my memory, and vision I have of this plant.
    I'll let you know just as soon as I do.

AnnB might know of a picture???
    Okay, jim I'm off to look!
    Kathy in Ga.

It sure Is!

Yeah! I was correct. I like it when I am. Ha ha :-)
    Yellow Banks Rose. Is basically a climber. Also thornless.
    No fragrance, has very very doubled yellow flowers, and does need pruning between the months of May-June, before setting the buds for next years flowers.
    Buds will not bloom on dead wood, or old wood, those limbs will have to be trimmed back.

I have only seen it here as bushes, never as climbing, but it does makes sense for the stems, are so very long, and are weeping, (due to weight) if they had trellis, they would climb upward.

Leaves are also very tiny and lance shaped.
    I will send you private message with the site I found.

Kathy In Ga.
    P.S. I'm hooked!
    We're gonna make a phone call tomorrow!
    Last edited by Kathy in GA; 08-19-2001 at 11:16 PM.

Added Picture of Yellow Banks Rose

I added pictures of the yellow banks rose to the page:

http://www.landspro.com/page940.htm

The yellow banks rose blooms in the spring and is hardy to zones 8. Like Kathy says, it blooms profusely and resembles antique roses that have many huge clusters of tiny yellow flowers. The bush has long arching limbs with tiny leaves. It can grow as tall as 20 feet and does best in full sun, put will still be pretty in partial shade.

Jim, check out your local ACE hardware. If they don't have Wilt Pruf, ask them if they can order it. It is handy to have around. It is an organic product made from pine tree resin and is sometimes used on pear and apple trees. It helps prevent moisture loss on hot days and windburn on cold days.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wink

You guys down south have all the good stuff! I've never seen a yellow banks rose until today. I want one but I bet it is not hardy here in zone 6/7. I'm too lazy to winter them over in pots and too cheap (actually my husband is) to heat the green house to keep tropicals.
    Ann, I really love your message forum. So many fun choices!

Kathy in Tennessee
    SonLight Farm
    Kathy P
    SonLight Farm

I just bought a mandevilla....$24.95. I hope to take some cuttings from it, but I am guessing that I should treat it as any other cutting.....take off one set of leaves and leave at least one pair on, and cut off any top growth. Dip it in Rootone, stick it in potting soil and cover it with a coke bottle. Put it out in the shade and have patience??

Any other hints to success with this plant?? I know it isn't hardy here in zone 7 but I have a garage!!
    Thanks, Linda
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread