+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Growing Gerbera Daisies from Seeds

My heart be still!

Look at those beautiful blooms...

They should start showing up in our garden centers very soon. Usually, they are sold starting in time for Valentine's Day. They put a pretty sleeve around them, use a colorful and pretty gift label holder and sell them for twice as much.

I'll be sure to watch for the two toned ones, and peachy-pink will always be one of my all time favorites.

That red with the pink tips and the light colored orange are awesome.

Thank you.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you Ann.

I do not know whether that is a recent introduction - these almost black center "eyes" of some cultivars. But, that is a spectacular, contrast enhancing feature and it adds a lot to the attractivity of these flowers.

I agree!

I'll keep an eye out for the dark eyed ones this spring.

I adore Gerbera!

ALL of them!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

All winter I have been regularly planting Gerber daisy seeds I had harvested and kept in the refridge. They seem to be the slowest growing things I have ever seen, but some I started last fall are now about 4" and have several leaves. True, they are in a window behind a lace curtain in a cool room and they apparently havne't gone dormant. I hope to see a bit more vigourous growth as the weather improves. I am determined to get a flowering gerbera out of all these seeds!!!

Linda

which reminds me....anyone want some of my spare seeds??? I have red, hot pink, probably orange and peach. the photos of the moms are on page 3
    Linda

Unfortunately, I have not seen the beautiful new varieties that Hans-Werner posted.

I have seen one new type, and those seem to have more spidery and doubled, sharp pointed petals. They are very 'pricy', so I opted not to purchase any and did not have my camera available, so no pics. I like the ones that Hans-Werner shows more.

Maybe, one day, they will be available here!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Every once in awhile, I need to treat myself to something that I really like.

This morning, I was surprised that these were still available, and I needed a lift in spirits, so I splurged!

This is what I would call a Spider Gerbera, and WOW! Do they want me to hybridize or what?

Anyway, I was writing an email to a dear friend. I heard thunder. I finished the email and grabbed my camera. It was pouring down rain (OH! Thank YOU! Thank YOU!).

I managed to get the newly purchased plant to the porch and took my camera from under my blouse. I want you to see this...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yes, they are wet and so am I...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Pretty and NICE!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ah HA!!! Lookey, lookey!!!

After 9 months, my first flowers from seed!! I am so excited. I have posted a photo of the first seeds/plants I started last fall, and some of the ones I did about FEB, see how slow they do grow, but look out, I have lots of buds underneath the bigger ones (of course, per the labels they are all the same color!!), but eventually they do flower!!!! Thank you all for the fun support for growing thse beauties from seeds!!
    love Linda
    Attached Images  
    Linda

Wow, it takes that long, huh? It must be quite rewarding to see the flowers. Congratulations!
    Dave

Actually, Dave, 9 months is not that bad. It takes so much longer for Amaryllis and Daylilies BUT it is worth it!

Linda, it is so very exciting to see your seedlings start to bloom, and, Oh MY! They do look healthy.

You are doing GOOD!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

New format, I am not sure how I got here, forgot what i was going to say....I am out on the Outer Banks on vacation this week, and hope my house-sitter will be watchful and water when necessary. Four of the gerberas were ready to bloom or blooming when I left....I have dark pink/red, light orange, and yellow-centered rose pink. I would love to share seeds if anyone wants some. I was hoping I had some yellow but no luck so far.....and Anne, I would love some seeds from the spikey pink you bought!! I have good luck with a Jerry Baker recipe for powdery mildew, that I spray on when it appears. I use it on the gerbers and on the crape myrtles, works great. I think I shared it here once already on the board.

Anne, do you know if the plants clumps can be split? I have a nice clump going out front that might benefit from splitting but I am chicken to try this method of propagation. The tap root seems to be quite long on these ladies from an early age.
    Linda
    Linda

Yes, Linda!

You can split them, but wait until winter. In fact, it would be great if you could wait until they go dormant. You may have to let them stay outside for the first light frost to get them to go dormant.

I have never tried this, but I suspect that you can divide them like daylilies by removing the top growth before separating them. But again, personally, I would wait unitl the weather cools down a bit. That's just my gut feeling, though.

I have some mixed color seeds of the spidery ones if you will send me a PM with your mail address.

Let us know how you do with separating the clumps.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The next two pictures were taken with a flash, but despite that, the color seems to show up okay.
    Attached Images    
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

They are called 'Margarita Gerbera', and they come in all sorts of colors. I haven't seen a pure yellow or cream colored one, yet, though. The basket that I have contains numerous colors, and I will have to divide them at some point as well. There's a red one and and a pastel pink. When those open, I'll try to get more pictures.

They are pretty!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast