+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Growing Gerbera Daisies from Seeds

At first, I didn't think my Gerbera's were going to come back this year, but they have. There are more plants, but they are smaller, and they have not bloomed. This is probably due to the fact that they are now in too much shade. The camellia has gotten huge over the years.

So... As I recently told a dear friend, they are simply too inexpensive to worry about it.

So, this morning, there they were! For $3.96 per 1 gallon pot. Gosh! I wish I could have purchased more of them, but I only bought four.

Anyway, this will get you an idea of the size that you can get this time of the year for $3.96. They have to harden off before I can plant them in the yard and hopefully, we will start getting more rain!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here are the four that I chose...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We planted a large pot of Gerberas on our back deck and they were blooming like idiots and doing so well until they were hit with powdery mildew - which also infested our new Burr Oak leaves and nearby Crepe Myrtle. Have any of you had a similar problem with powdery mildew infecting Gerberas? Ours should recover ok from it but the blooming stopped for a while.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

I have only had that problem when trying to grow them in the patio and the greenhouse where they do not get as much air circulation.

They will do well in full sun as long as you keep them watered, but I have seen them wilt to nothingness and die in neighbor's yards during droughts.

I never had problems with mildew under the camelia, even during heavy rain spells, so that makes me think that it is more of a problem with the leaves staying too wet for an extending period of time.

My neighbor has one of the old fashioned kinds in full sun, and although the grasshoppers and such eat holes in the leaves, it will bloom like crazy and has gotten HUGE.

Hang in there, but keep an eye on that mildew....

Here is a picture of my neighbor's which is about to start blooming!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It was fun to go back and reread the old posts from last year. I never did get even one single blossom out of any of the plants I had started from seed. They all died this winter, but 4 of the 10 purchased from Lowe's that I had planted out front did return and are blooming, and one in the original Lowe's pot that I had rescued and gotten seeds from is now blooming, ugly as predicted but blooming!! I think I am not a good gerbera grower, as my seedlings never got more than 4 leaves on them....quite disappointing...but my baby maple tree is growing!! And I have 22 crape myrtles from seed that are now lining my entire yard and they should all bloom this year!! some successes, some nots. I repeat my request, if you get some seeds from your beautiful gerberas, and you care to part with a few, I will try it again!
    Linda
    Linda

Wished I'd have known!

Linda,
    I wish I would've known this a week or 2 ago. I'm done working at the greenhouse for this season, but I deaheaded all kinds of gorgeous gerbera's at work! I could have brought you seeds of all the colors. Maybe next year.

This past year was not good for seeds at my house. Last year was great with neat things started from seeds.

What color are your crape myrtles? Whatever color they are I bet they are pretty. 22 that seems like a good turnout.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I never knew crape myrtle could be so easily started from seed. Thanks to Linda I have a whole flat of 1" crape myrtle coming up. They are red if the come true from seed. Thanks Linda.
    tennessee sue

I am dying to see what colors they will bloom. Some got to 4' last year, but none bloomed, and this year even the tiniest have flower buds on them. I have them in the ground and still 5 in pots awaiting homes. I, too, was amazed at how easy they were to grow from seed, but also from cuttings, equally easy and at least I know what color they should be then.

I snatched seeds from every crape myrtle I saw, so the flowering should be a great variety of colors, if I am lucky. I don't know if they bloom true from seeds but I will let you know in only a couple of weeks.

As far as the gerberas, I don't know why mine never got going out in the yard. so many other plants did great, just not my little ones from seeds. I keep trying to find any viable-looking seeds from the ones growning in my yard now, but none of the seeds seem as if they are viable, so I haven't tried any of them. I did just start a bunch of daylily seeds from Cathy and whitebud tree seeds from Sue. So I am still hanging in there!!
    Linda

My crape myrtles that are blooming are lavender!! the seeds came out of a Tonto, which is fuschia.

BUT, after rereading the above posts I started looking for more Gerbera seeds and found some plump ones on a couple of the spent blooms, started them in wet paper towels and they have sprouted, so I will try them again this year and see if i can winter them over. Again probably the ugly peach is the mother, but at least I am getting a start again. Could you divide the plants themselves?? My clumps seem to be getting crowded....any thought on this method of propagating them?? Are they tubers?? Can you separate the clumps??

thanks!! Oh, and I am a little computer challenged but after two years, i think I just stumbled on the right button to use to post some photos...I have been trying to use the IMG thing at the top and just now saw the "Attach file" here at the bottom...pictures to follow!! Hurray!!
    Linda

I have a new computer and I hope this works, these are gerberas i am trying to get new babies from. I have lots of harvested seeds, germinated and up to their first true leaves, but I don't know how it will go from here, I haven't ever gotten them to get any larger, so let's hope this time it will work. I keep reading the directions, eventuallly I should get a viable plant, I have easily 40 started here....wish me luck!
    Linda
    Attached Images  
    Linda

Gorgeous pic!

They do like a lot of water, in our heat, anyway...

Keep us posted, for right now, I do not have the time to spare to do more research on them, but sincerely hope that I will be able to do that next year!

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Linda- Thank you for that beautiful photo !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thank you for that pretty photo Linda!

I do always pay particular attention to the cut flower offers. I can perceive that significant progresses are still taking place.
    While, for example, the development in Gladiolus has come to an apparent standstill I notice that roses and gerberas are still improved and perfected!
    Particularly I observed that two-colored gerberas are increasingly coming! Some of these are really amazing and exhibit deep contrasts within one flower like white to purple. Transitions from orange-yellow to pink are fascinating too - the "peachy way". Well, I shall take my digi cam with me during the next days in order to fill my statement with substance and illustrations respectively *lol*

A tequila sunrise would be absolutely gorgeous...

A creamy white fading to a light pink is often available and quite pretty.

Gerberas are really pretty planted under the outer edge of a Camellia bush/tree. I suspect the evergreen Camellia helps protect the Gerberas from hard frosts and prevents them from being killed by hard freezes.

I need to plant more Camellias...

Bob, I have had problems with powdery mildew, years ago, when I kept a few in the greenhouse. Do you think it had anything to do with lack of air circulation? I have never had this problem when they were outside, whether in a pot or in the ground.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I shall take my digi cam with me....

Here I go:

AND.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast