+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Growing Gerbera Daisies from Seeds

Not Silly! Smart!

The seeds are so expensive, and they are always mixed in colors.

Now, you can let them bloom there little hearts out, harvest seeds, know which seeds to keep and plant more for next year.

I must admit that I have never tried them in paper towels, just in soiless mix. Once they sprout, just a little care and making sure that they do not dry out and WOW, you have lots of plants.

Good for you! Sounds like you are a winner all the way around, huh?

I noticed at my last trip to Lowes that the selection had dwindled, but there were still lots and lots of them.

I don't know how well my favorite one will do when I transplant it, but I do need to move it so that it will get less shade. It is a choice of moving it or cutting back the camellia, so I'll move it.

Like you said, they are not that expensive.

Enjoy your Gerberas! I adore them... Don't forget to let us know how the seedlings started in paper towels do for you.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More of the saved Gerbera seeds sprouted this week so I have potted up another 7, but they might not all make it to flowering, I imagine. Otherwise, as luck would have it, I might have 14 sickly yellow-colored gerberas coming along (I don't recall the colors of the flowers' seeds I saved) but with my luck only the yuckiest colors will survive!! Flowers are flowers, it is the joy of seeing them grow that makes me happiest.
    I tried to grow these once and not a one came up, but I had paid a fortune for the seeds, and was vastly disappointed. I have really enjoyed being able to read and learn from the postings here!! Now I have gerberas!!!
    I am bitten so badly with this particular "bug" that every two days I take an old make-up brush and play "pollinator" with every single flower. I think it means that I won't cut any and and will let them go to seed.......now, don't they need to be cut (dead-headed) to continue blooming??
    Linda
    Linda

What a pleasant surprise.

This is the same gerbera that was pictured three years ago in this thread.

It's first bloom of the year. I can't believe that it was evergreen this year.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

You Lucky Duck!!
    The gerbera plants I bought will be done blooming before I can get them into the ground. The seeds I saved from last year that are sprouted are just that...sprouted and not even the first true leaves have come out on even the oldest seedlings.......like they are in limbo!!!! some of the seedlings are up to 30 days old. Will they ever get growing??
    If that flower of yours above ever produces seeds, I want a few!, please!! I feel so silly playing pollinator every few days, but as the potted flowers begin to fade, I can see that the seed pod fluff is already forming. I will have more seeds before the weather is even nice enough to plant them outside!! What's a girl to do??? I am sunning all my seedlings by opening up the garage door and pulling them out into the sun. It has been quite overcast so it is perfect, but we are a month away from being safe from frost!! I am itching to plant them all!!

Thanks for sharing the photo!!
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

I did a flower on flower thing to pollinate this bloom. Two days ago, it was all fluff, so I harvested the seeds before they could blow away. There were a dozen or so seeds that looked like they were fully formed. Those were sown in the gh this morning.

Further research on the internet tells me that there are not as many female parts as expected, so perhaps that is the reason that there are so few viable seeds.

I've gotta tell you, though... When you are separating them, you need to wear a mask. Breath the wrong way, and they fly all over the place.

Here's another pic of a favorite...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A twin...

You see this quite often, and I sometimes wonder if it is genetic.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Okay, I will try flower to flower. I used my makeup brush daily and those that have gone to seed didn't seem to have produced anything that remotely looked big enough to be viable. I will try to have patience and wait this out. My blossoms seem much smaller that yours. I bought all of mine from Lowe's early this spring and they are all happy. Some are in the ground but a group of 10 pots await their permanent homes in the front yard, which I haven't had time to dig out planting room for!! Most of my seedllings went into the ground in their little peat pots but they sure are slow growers!!
    Thanks so much for the lovely pictures!!!

I am dedicated to finishing my daughter's laundry room this week so i am up to my ears in drywall mud and dust. I get up about 6 am to garden for an hour before I must make everyone breakfast, pack a lunch and head on over there to work for 10 hours.......I am tired tonight, I have been mudding and sanding the walls all day. We have hung 16 sheets of drywall so far. My hands are killing me, hope they aren't so sore in the morning!!

Everytime we do over to Home Depot ( which averages 1-3 times daily) I buy another packet or two of flower seeds!! The gardener who is stuck in the basement laundry room!!!!
    Linda

It is too soon to know how many will actually germinate, but yesterday, I saw green and YEP! A cute little set of leaves.

Others look like they are pushing out of the soil, so I have hope for quite a few babies.

Now, if only I can care for them long enough to get them potted up or in the flower beds. They don't like it very much in my gh. They like to be outside where there is more air movement.

Actually, they simply like it better in the ground. I think it is a shame that more people do not grow these as annuals. They bloom and bloom and bloom, and the blooms last a long time.

Not only that, the blooms produce seeds for next year and for gifts.

I'll take a picture when more have germinated so that everyone can see that they don't have to spend a fortune on seeds. Just buy the plant, make sure that it is pollinated, and sow those seeds while they are fresh!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Eight little babies have sprouted so far, and from the looks of some of the other, there should be lots more on the way.

It's fun to watch them start pushing up out of the soil, and seeing more every day start to open up their starter leaves.

I started these in clear little nacho trays that I purchased from Sam's Club. It's the kind that has a little separate section for the cheese dip. I use heavy scissors to cut the area between the dip section and main section so that excess moisture will drain. Then I put an uncut one on top and used a rubber band to secure the two.

After that, I cut a small piece of vinyl blinds in half lengthwise, wrote the name on it then slipped in on under to rubber band on one outside edge. Fit's perfact and everything is snug.

These are in the old gh where it is quite warm, but no artificial lights. I'll try to get a picture to post this weekend.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

There are now 11 little ones sprouted, and all of those have been sprouted for a few days now.

I don't know if any more will come up or not, but they are little cuties. Considering how small the seed is, the little leaves surprise me to open so big (relatively).

I'm going to keep this thread moving as the seedlings progress, so that everyone will have a good idea as to how long it takes these to be blooming size.

That reminds me, it's almost dark, and I'd better get outside to check to see if more seeds are ready to harvest.

FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My seedling gerberas are still about the same size, with 4 true leaves on each. they have been in the ground since mid April and haven't seemed to have grown a bit!!

I have them in several spots, none are doing any better than the others,,,,,are they just VERY slow growers?? I don't think they will get big enough to not be covered up by the mulch every time it rains!! .. . I have to go dig them out. It is wonderful warm weather....will they ever take off???
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

They are a perennial, even though they are not very hardy. They do best in the ground for me, but they do not like the heat of the mid summer days and tend to like more water then.

Since they are a perennial, they are probably 'creeping' which means that they are developing roots. Many times, when you put perennials in pots, they will bloom sooner because their roots are confined. Then, when you put them in the ground with plenty of space to grow, they try to establish their roots first before becoming more robust top side.

Perhaps that is what is happening? Mine slowed down for a little while, but have started up with to top growth again. They are in very shallow pots and allowed to dry out (somewhat) in between waterings.

Just beware... Too much heat and too little water, and they will wilt. Too much water and not enough air circulation and they will start to develop a type of fungus.

However, once established in the gardens, I have never had to worry about anything other than their becoming too dry, and they tend to let you know that really fast. Ie., they POUT!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, both they and the ducks are pretty happy right now with 13" of rain in 5 days...I think I know how New Orleans felt a bit. I know the gerberas are happy and well drained, but the crape myrtles are planted in what appear to be low areas, and I bet they won't like wet feet and will up and die on me.....
    I am just amazed at how slowly the gerberas are going, and they are really iin a nice spot. I havne't seen any new leaves on 4 or five of the seedlings in over 2 months, they just have the first 4!! But nothing is eating them, and they are green and perky, so I will just keep talking to them!! I found they actually did better with a bit of shade, too much sun and the bigger guys aren't growing at all either. I don't know what colors they are, and it is killing me!! I have seen so many wonderful gerberas growing here and there in florist pots, and I want mine to grow as well.
    I will just have patience!
    Linda

Linda,

I have absolutely no experience with Gerbera's, but I did find an interesting publication on the Auburn web page that answers some of your questions. Although the article is geared toward commercial production, some of the items in it deal directly with your questions, and confirm some you your own observations. For instance, the very young plants do not like full sun.

They make a big point about temperature and pH control.

Take a look at the article, use what you can.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1144/
    Last edited by Tom; 06-28-2006 at 09:06 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, Tom
    I will print it up and take it with me home today!!
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast