+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buddleia Seed Pod, Seeds and a Seed Growing Tip

Buddleia Seed Pod, Seeds and a Seed Growing Tip

I have created a page that includes pictures of the buddleia seed pods that form after the flowers fall.

On the same page, I have included pictures of a technique that I use to germinate tiny or difficult to germinate seeds.

http://www.landspro.com/page1060.htm

You can buy large quantities of a mixed color of buddleia seeds at Thompson and Morgan for a reasonable price. Here is the link:

Thompson and Morgan US Seed Catalog

Let me know if this helps.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Question color ?

Ann,
    Hi All, Was wondering if they grow true to color or not? How fast do they grow once sprouted? My friend has 3 different colors, one light purple, one purple, and one dark dark purple.

Thanks,
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West Michigan

The only way to be sure what color you will get is to take cuttings.

I have never tried cuttings after they go dormant, but I will look in some reference books for you. I have tried cuttings at other times of the year, and they root fairly easily.

They grow slow the first year, the second year the growth picks up and the third year they start growing really fast. You should be able to see blooms the first year, but the plant will not get very big until after the first year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Dormant Buddleia don't root very well. They are so easy to root when they are growing that you should be able to get all you need in the summer. I have them running out my ears!
    Mine grew really big in pots this summer, In fact, they got so pot bound that watering was a real problem. I had these for sale and there were way too many to keep canning them up. I finally marked them down and then severly pruned the left overs and put them in the shade house under the mist.

KP
    Kathy P
    SonLight Farm

Kathy,

Thanks, Kathy! I consider you to be one of the experts on buddliea!

That is exactly why I use those water absorbent polymer crystals. Cuttings in pots seem to dry out really quickly, and being the busy little bee that I am, experimenting with so many things, watering is the last thing on my mind.

I don't know how many of you have tried these plants, but they are gorgeous and they actually do attract butterflies. Pink Delight is one of my favorite because it maintains a small, but elegant profile. All of them bloom prolifically up until frost.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

seeds?

Ann,
    I was wondering about seeds. Do they come true to color?

Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West Michigan

Vicki,

You may not get the same color because there is a possibility that they were pollinated with the pollen from a nearby plant.

The only way to be sure to get the same color is to take cuttings.

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had a strange thing happen this summer with one of my larger bushes. About mid-summer I noticed that one of teh branches on this lavender bush had white flowers on it. Go figure! I've seen grafted Buddleia of course but this was not grafted. Maybe it was a pollen thing.

I have some tips about growing butterfly bushes on my web page (I finally have it up to date) if anyone wants to check it out.

Sonlight Farm

KP
    Kathy P
    SonLight Farm

+ Reply to Thread