+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greenhouse Costs of Production Budgets by Rutgers

THANK YOU SO MUCH PLUG_GROWER AND ANN!!! You certainly bosted my morale with your enthusiasm!!! I needed that! Since I will be working my nursery business by myself, I'm becoming overwhelemed with the thought of it all! Not good with my anxiety/panic disorder. I just have to remember to take it one baby step at a time. I have no idea on how to set everything up inside that big greenhouse, once it gets set up! I certainly hope some of you will be there to help me out. LOL I don't mean physically, but on this message board! Although I could use your physical help too!

plug_grower, are those big bunches of beautiful flowers rhododendrons? WOW!!! I just took some cuttings of red ones that a lady I know has. They are rooting now. I was also given 3 sickly bushes from people we know that dug them up and had them in buckets of water for a month, not knowing if they wanted to keep them or throw them out. I got them and will try to put some life back into them. All of your flowers are certainly healthy and happy!!! What do you fertilize them with? Your purple and lavendar irises are a very familiar site at our property! Previous owners planted WAY too many of them in a semi-circle in our front yard! Planted more of them in our back yard too! I certainly wish they had planted some different colors in-between! I'm going to tie yarn pieces around the stems of them after they bloom next year, so I know which ones to dig up and get rid of! There's also a couple of light all bluish ones mixed in that I might leave. I think there was ONE rust colored one too that I will hang on to. I wish I had some of your yellow and purple/white ones mixed in! That would be a nice contrast! I'll have to keep my eyes open for some different colors. Sure like your idea of mixing them with your lupines! I've got some lupine seeds I think. I'll have to check and see if the seeds are still ok, by planting them next spring.
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

You might want to see if you need a business lic down i Oregon If you do then you want to contact some wholesale growers like Proven Winners or better yet go to parkseedwhloesale.com and request there catalogs also harrisseeds.com I can give you all the names of vendors I use

I was going to call the Dept. of Agriculture about licensing, but through numerous calls in my local area we don't have one! They told me to call Portland. A call to our Forestry Dept. gave me the name of our nursery inspector in our area. I called him and he told me that I don't need a nursery license until I sell over $250 worth of plants. Since it will be my first time selling plants, this spring, and the license goes from July of the previous year 'till June of the next year, I won't be selling that much in just 3 months of April, May and June. I'll apply for the license in July of next year, which will cost me $80 per year, up to sales of $2,500. Do you think wholesale nurseries will still sell to me before I get my license? I wrote down the links you gave me. I'd sure like any connections you use! Thanks for the offer!

Thumbs up License in Texas !

peoplepleaser - Linda

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in here -
    In Texas we have to have : (1) a Business License just to be a business(to collect sales tax) and (2) a State License to sell plants - and to be inspected by the State (once a year)
    It will cost me $10. 00 for the Business License (which I already have-and using it to order plants and pots wholesale) and then $90.00 a year from the State - if I pass inspection -
    Right now I do not have the State License because I could not really afford it - but also I am not set up with enough plants yet - to even think about selling them - so I am just raising babies (different types of plants) until I get enough stock to sell - then the Inspection will be made and hopefully I will pass - and then everything will be worth the long haul -
    Take Care and Good Luck !!!

goldeneagle = Beth S.

Our nursery inspector told me that I don't need to register a business name, like other businesses do. He said to just pick a name, make up a sign and stick it in our front yard! LOL We don't live in city limits, we are out in county lines! In city limits, or selling plants in the city, I would need a registered business name. I used to have a registered business name for my handcraft business, but not enough sales to warrant keeping it as a business, so I let the name go. I think another reason the rules are rather slack, is that there are NO SALES TAX in Oregon! Yippee!!! As for getting my nursery license, I won't sell enough by next June to need one. When I do get one, the inspector said that he comes out to inspect the soil the plants will be/are growing in and also check the plants for any pests and diseases. If he finds any problems, he said that all he does at that point is recommend ways for me to treat the problem! Then he will tell me when he will be back to make sure the problem has been taken care of and to answer any other questions I might have. He also told me to give him a call should I need any advice, any time! He sure sounds nice and helpful and easy going! I sure want to keep on good terms with him! He could sure be a BIG help, especially since I am so new to this!

GREAT PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!

Ann -

Just now found the pictures that plug_grower took - oh man - those pictures are GREAT - and besides being a creative person with the pot holders - plug_grower is a fantastic photographer -

Now - since I am still kinda new at these type of plants - please, please - tell me what kind are they - I recognized the Irises and it looked like an azalea (it made me think it was) - but what are the others - ??? All the flowers are so colorful - and very gorgeous !!

also - Linda - glad to hear you got all the parts for your GH - now have fun putting it together -

goldeneagle = Beth S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2