+ Reply to Thread

Thread: greenhouse watering systems

Question greenhouse watering systems

I am trying to figure out an inexpensive (for now) way to install a watering system in my greenhouse. I have always thought that misting would be the best option. I know Mike has talked about his system, but i just can't seem to find it on his site.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Judi K
    Judi K.

greenhouse watering

Judi-I have a friend with lots of greenhouses (grows bedding plants) who installed some misters which he never uses. The problem in a greenhouse for much of the year is too much humidity, including condensation on the poly ( or glass) which reduces the light coming in.

He has installed sprinkler heads on suspended poly pipe for watering. He finds it useful to supplement this by hand watering (water wand on a hose) since the sprinkler heads always water unequally over the entire growing area. You shouldn't need any timers unless you have a lot of growing area, just turn on your sprinkler in there like you would for your outdoor garden and turn it off when things are watered enough.

Mike does sell info on mist systems, I got his video that tells you most everything you need to know to build and operate this propagating system. It is for rooting cuttings, since very little water is actually applied to the plants.

Hope this is a bit helpful to you--Glen in BC

Thanks BC, that's good info to know. I kinda thought I didn't need to much sophistication. I have a watering nozzle.

Judi
    Judi K.

re:greenhouse watering

Hi Judi
    I have a PVC pipe greenhouse and I used a sprinklers I got from walmart. Its is a flat yellow plastic piece that has connecters on both sides to connect several together. I the bought the ten foot water hose(also at walmart). I then connected them together at ten foot apart. I inverted the sprinkler and tied them to the top of my greenhouse so the sprinkler sprays out and covers the greenhouse floor, also just tied the hose as well. I was very simple and works very good.
    Hope this helps....if you like I can send you a pic to show you if that would help also. just let me know
    steve in Alabama

Cool Mist System

Judy,

My greenhouse is small and old. It is made of white fiberglass which has discolored with age. This year, I purchased a cool mist system from Lowes, made a few modification and have it hanging on hooks rather than permanently mounted. I bought a $30 battery operated timer from Walmart.

Then I bought the maintenance kit which includes a filter because I have well water. I set the timer to come on for 5 minutes every 2 hours. And I am very pleased. I only have it on one side of the greenhouse.

It did help to reduce the temperature on very hot days, but running it longer than 5-10 minutes would have caused too much moisture. My seedlings love it and are healthy looking.

I have my seedlings in trays with tiny cells and they tend to dry out quickly. Before installing the mist system, I used the fine spray on my hose nozzle and that worked great, but took a lot of time.

I like Steve's idea of the plastic sprinklers. They had them on sale for $1, and I bought several for the yard. They put out a fine spray and cover quite a large area. A cheaper timer that only comes on once a day would probably work with these since they spray more water.

Which reminds me, now is the time to check out those sales are sprinklers, etc. I saw that Lowe's had theirs on clearance last week.

Good Luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread