+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Coldframe latest endeavor

Thanks sue.
    nothing gets done watchin tv.
    action speaks loudly.
    how bad do we want it.
    i was discussing tonite that i better have 4 coldframes up in the next year . or suffer if i dont .
    my suggestion to most northerners is get 1 or 2 if you want to be in the biz.
    my climate is harsh at most times it paid me back to have this one this winter.
    i am in amazement when i walk thru .
    i hope to find help this weekend to uncover it!

Shepp,
    We used our big greenhouse as to winter over our plants. I'm sure we would have lost some had we not done that. But...the greenhouse was so full we had a hard time getting around and starting anything this spring. We plan on getting a smaller house up to heat and using the big one to winter over again next year.
    Do you keep your perennials in the cold frame. Some that were left outside did well and we had pretty rough winter.Most of my shade plants stay out buried under leaves. They also survived well.
    We have a lot milder winter than you but we see the need for cold frames here,too.
    tennessee sue

Shepp & Sue,
    I can definitely see where you need a coldframe or greenhouse. My 2 yr. old forsythia & weigela I would be potting up are broke and I'm bummed. Looks like a giant walked thru the cutting bed. Not all but a lot of them are broke!
    The bed will definitely have a cover next winter!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vickie a 24 by 48 coldframe is worth every penny spent.
    it = lots of plants saved.
    sue yes i do keep perennials in the coldframe and GH coldframe is better. it takes just a little water where the GH takes much more water and time.
    ##################
    what would be your top 5 perennials if you could only do 5?.
    just from a selling standpoint and not your own preference!
    ############################
    and what would be your best growers .

Well Shepp. I'll let you know my best sellers after this weekend. Got a big (I hope) show Sat. and Sun.
    Herb wise my 5 perennials would be:Catnip (big seller)
    lavender
    rosemary
    chives-winter well and bloom early
    oregano-winters well multiplies well
    Other perennials:
    lavender has to go here too
    hostas -grow well and multiply freely
    day and oriental lilies-multiply quicky
    sweeet williams (double) bloom well-spread well
    jack-in-the-pulpit- hard to propagate but sell well
    I am forgetting something I know. Am getting a list of all we sell so I can give the kids a price list to make it easier for them to help us do shows. Like I said I will let you know next week. It varies from year to year what sells best. One year ,for instance, hosta will fly out of our hands and other years you can't give them away. Anything in bloom will sell when it is in bloom.
    The shade plants and wildflowers have gone exceptionally well the last 2 years as have the flowering shrubs. I think our trees go well because we sell nice trees at a smaller size and price that the big nurseries and people that can't afford a half grown tree can afford ours and are petient enough to wait a few years for the tree to grow. I think some of them enjoy raising the tree from a younger age.
    Keep your fingers crossed it doesn't rain all weekend on our show.
    tennessee sue

Coldframe finally has the white plastic off and the shade cloth on.
    2 extra hands showed up that made 7 total.
    we were able to fold it long ways and then fold it like a flag and put it in the big box the shade cloth was in . i hope it keeps untill next winter.
    as windy as it was it folded up quite nicely,very windy ,everyone was amazed it went so well .
    shepp zone 5/6 low of 42 tonite.
    didnt get the rain that was forcast the last 24 hrs.
    this has been an april with no showers !
    its time to start building more cutting beds tomorrow.

Shepp,
    So far the best sellers this weekend have been wildflowers and herbs.
    I had to send for more shooting star, lily of the vally and pink lady's slippers. Goatsbeard sold well today as did a pink lilac that was in bloom.
    Rained in the afternoon but the morning was good. Tomorow is supposed to be sunny and warm so hoping for another good day. We broke our old record for one day sales today.
    Our son has been making rustic metal garden fence panels. They are really very nice. Sold 11 of them today for $18.each. Also some terra cotta birdhouses and pots we had made.
    We spent a lot of money buying plants too. Lots of new mother plants! The people that do this show have a wide variety of plants and a lot of unusual and hard to find plants. I found a blue corydalis I have been looking for for a long time, and a cactus called a Tennessee walking stick that is hardy in zone 6. Never heard of it before but is really nice. I also found a night blooming cereus.Paid $4 for it. Great huh? Ilove what I do.
    tennessee sue

Sue allen
    Was wondering about the rustic fence panels your son makes can you post a picture or tell us a little bit about them
    Gene

Gen, the rustic fence panels are beautiful. He made some of rebar but switched to another metal(not sure what it is but it is round). The finials fit it better than the rebar.I am trying to master the digital camera so I can post some pictures. I will get one when he gets some more made. He sold all he had made and has orders galore from the Garden Fair. I can get more info from him too. He welds them together. That much I know. He built some sort of frame to always get them even. You can tell I don't know much about it. But I will get you a picture when he gets some more made.
    tennessee sue

Shepp????

I think I understand a little better about the idea of a coldframe (unheated) vs. a greenhouse.

During the last real hard cold snap, I didn't even try to heat the old greenhouse. Yet, I knew there were still some tropical hibiscus cuttings, some houseplants and numerous other tender plants in the 'jungle'.

Today, I began clearning out the jungle of overgrown vines, and I found so very many plants that I had started that I didn't even remember were in there.

No heat, and they did just fine. The only damage was to plants that were close to the walls, windows or doors.

The old corrugated fiberglass has degraded dramatically in the last couple of years. I can't even get it clean anymore. It has become brittle, and needs to be replaced.

The frame and everything else, including the shelves are in remarkable shape considering the age of the greenhouse.

So, this winter and spring, I will remove all plant material, replace the corrugated fiberglass with polycarbonate, and my little greenhouse will become a 'coldframe'.

I must admit, because I know me, that the floodlights will be used to warm the exterior walls on those really cold nights.

Perhaps, I need a big COLDFRAME and a smaller greenhouse, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

it will only be a coldframe if you use white Poly carb. and maybe a less hot greenhouse in the summer.as long as its vented !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4