+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coldframe latest endeavor

Electric model

Your welcome Darla,Beth ,and Ann.
    i have a electric model , i want to add- for your protection to use a GFCI when using it.
    Ground fault circuit interupter.
    consult a electrician.
    shepp zone5/6

Atlas charges $175 to deliver the $522 coldframe from GA to here. I suppose that isn't too bad, considering the size.

BWI does not stock them locally. Bummer!

If you call Atlas, they will quote delivery cost based on your zip code...

Good Luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Southern Greenhouse price

those prices are for a southern climate greenhouse and not for northern climates. those prices are for bows that are 6 feet on center and 4 feet oc is what is needed for snow loads.
    17 bows in the south 24 bows in the north. the difference of 7 bows. 14 ground stakes and clamps and screws, a substantial price difference.

i thought anyone should see the difference, and not find out the hard way .but i am sure Atlas would tell the novice that when they noticed the shipping destination.
    Shepp

Ann i hope you get one and not a PVC G house.

Thank you, Shepp, for pointing that out!

Right now, I am considering all my options....

I'll let you know what I decide!

Till Later...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Coldframes & Greenhouses

Ann, check out Morton's Horticultural Products also. I got quotes from both Atlas & Morton's - looking at the total package, their prices were neck & neck. I decided to go with Morton's because they will deliver, unload & erect the steel for what I thought was a reasonable price. Atlas indicates that they will deliver, but the customer is responsible for unloading - which of course isn't a problem if you've got someone around to help. Morton's is in McMinnville, TN, so I think Atlas is closer to you, but you never know. Morton's number is 800-473-7753. Good Luck. Marilyn

Oh, Thank You, Marilyn!

I will definitely have to check into the unloading factor...

I am so glad you pointed that out, for I am usually here alone when things are delivered. I am sure others appreciate knowing that also...

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Maximizing the Life Expectancy of Greenhouse Films

Shepp was kind enough to remind me that direct contact between PVC and greenhouse films can reduce the longevity of greenhouse plastic. I searched the internet and found an article written by AT Plastics which explains the reason for this.

"Direct contact with PVC pipe, PVC tapes or lagging made with plasticized PVC can also provide a source of damaging chlorine to act upon the HALS stabilizer and the polymer itself."

The following is a link to a good article to read about the effects of PVC and other chemicals commonly used in greenhouses. It is somewhat technical, but worth reading if you plan on using UV rated greenhouse film.

THE EFFECT OF CHEMICALS ON POLYETHYLENE FILM IN THE GREENHOUSE ENVIRONMENT

Another article by the same company:

MAXIMIZING THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF GREENHOUSE FILMS

Shepp tells me that you can use foil tape on the PVC to prevent direct contact with the greenhouse plastic.

Thanks, Shepp, for that reminder!

Ann B.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Update!

Shepp's camera is fixed....

I asked him to hold off posting them until after the transition to the new Landspro server was successfully completely.

In the meantime, Shepp has sent pictures of his completed coldframe to me via email. I am going to post them for Shepp and as soon as he is can, he wants to add some comments/tips regarding each picture.

I don't know about you, but some of these pictures make my skin shiver. It looks mighty cold up there where Shepp is...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

CF Picture #1 and CF Picture #2

Picture #1

Picture #2

check out the hoarfrost on the nails .it was bitter cold that day this pic was taken.
    Last edited by shepp; 03-03-2003 at 07:25 PM.

Picture #3 and Picture #4

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5 and Picture #6

Picture #5

Picture #6

hey Jim you stinker.i know you know all about the nails jim.
    for those that dont know,
    this is demonstrating the nails AKA duplex nails ,AKA form nails, used in building a concrete form so they can easily be removed after the concrete is set up , that is why they are double headed nails for removal of the nails from the furring strips to remove the white plastic to save for another year.
    that saves a 80+ dollar sheet of coldframe plastic. throw the nails away remove the plastic on a dry day .and put the furring strips up in a dry space for use next winter.
    also take note that the nails have been driven in at angles from each other, this is so when the plastic gallops in the wind irregardless how tight you stretch it it doesnt pull the furring strips off of the frame that the white plastic is wrapped around.
    when stretching the plastic you will find that you will be wrapping and unwrapping so you can get the furring strip to lay flat against the base boards and the ends also so it can be pulled tight and nailed with the strip flat and plastic is tight .
    i do the center at the top of each end first and then the center of the long sides at the base first with short pieces of furring strips
    i then do all 4 corners at the base with temporary pieces to hold it all down because you know the wind is gonna blow when you put the plastic on.
    i remove one of the corner temp pieces and start rolling up a 8 ft long strip in the plastic and nail it on with the nails driven at different angles from each other .
    this is the same way you would put on greenhouse plastic.unless of course you want to spend the money on channel and wiggle wire. my was is just that MY WAY you all may have a better way , this works for moi.
    i really wish i could have got a pic when the snow was over 2/3rds up the sides and it was looking like a igloo.my best guess was the snow was 5 feet deep and tapered back 8 feet.it got to the point i couldnt get near the coldframe unless i was in the snow over waist deep to use a push broom to get the heavy wet snows off of the top. i didnt want my first coldframe looking like
    M &M's
    also ice was forming more than a 1/8th inch thick on the inside those first few heavy snows making the weight even worse.
    i was inside knocking the ice off and watering the shrubs with hard water.really hard water.
    any way the coldframe survived and so did i . sometimes i looked the abominal snow man.
    so you want have a nursery do ya.
    shepp zone 5/6 just starting to thaw out from the winter of 2003.
    greenhouse got to 82* degrees today. give me more.i want more.
    Last edited by shepp; 03-03-2003 at 07:17 PM.

Shepp has a funny way of driving nails!

Looking good -- beginning to thaw.
    Jim Lang

Look at the first picture on this forum and then look at this one

what a difference a few months make. First i was complaining of sweating , now its cold. cant satisfy me huh .
    in one of the pics i am posting i have my sunglasses stuck in the plastic to show the depth of snow,
    another pic will show that i can remove a sheet of plywood to ventilate the coldframe as it warms up . at the other end the plywood door is on hinges ,that allowed winter access easily.

Picture #7

Picture #8

Picture #9

here are some pics when things go as they should

these are some inside shots of lots of hard work.
    privets , junipers , japanese bloodgood maples, hakura nishiki willows.
    dwf korean lilac. assorted perennials,potentilla. wiegela,arborvitaes, and much more.
    i emailed the pics to Ann so she can crop to size.

shepp zone5/6
    BTW the plastic comes off in a week and the shade cloth goes on.
    i am gonna try to remove the plastic and save it for next year.
    we will see if it works. i hope

All that hard work paid off. Your plants look GREAT.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast