+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coldframe latest endeavor

Coldframe latest endeavor

I have been sweating for days trying to get this project done.
    as soon as this is done i am putting up a second.wish i had lots of people helping.

colframe looking west

cant wait to start filling it up.this is a 14x48 coldframe.

Don't Forget!

Shepp,

That is really nice! I do believe I like it better than the big greenhouse.

Don't forget you promised to give me some pointers when I am ready to get started with mine.

Thanks for posting the pictures. When you get a chance, maybe you can tell us more about how it is constructed.

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shepp
    That is really nice.Did you use the top rail of hurrican fence to make your bows. I'm also in the process of building me a 14 by 60 greenhouse I can't wait got my plastic last week and the bows are suppose to be bent and ready to go also. But it is soo hot here although I got an automatic sprinkler to water most my shrubs It still takes me 15 minutes to water the rest and I'm soaking wet (sweat) when I go back in the house. I really have fallen in love progating plants and watching them grow. good luck and don't get two hot. Gene
    Gene

pipe size

hi
    it is one inch schedule 40.
    when i put up the other half and it is done i have toprail from old hurricane fence.i will be using it.i think i will bend it so it 12 wide and use taller ground stakes.that way i will have a taller coldframe for trees. and these pipes were plenty hot the days i was putting it up.

Latest work done

this is the east end with the plywood end on now.with the help of deck screws i installed this by myself. i was glad it wasnt windy .i hinged the door , and i can remove it in the summer so it lasts longer,i can just slide the hinge pins up and out .

in the winter it can be shut up tight.

Diagonal brace and purlin

these pics are of how the diagonal brace and purlin pipes are attached. the long end will be cut off before the plywood is put on the west end.

Bottom end of brace

this shows the lower end of the brace.

Verticle brace attachment

i drilled and used deck screws to attach the upright 2x4's.
    the pipe is only 1 inch. so this made this method easy.

Inside view of east wall.

i kept it simple , only 4 2x4's . i still have to put a 2x6 across the top where the door meets the pipe. this will give me a place to attach the white plastic and still permit the door to be opened .

you can see the irrigation system is on.hanging about 1 ft below the purlin, 1 inch pvc with a mixture of mist heads that make big droplets. i still have some bugs to work out of this .

EMT Clamps:

Shepp,

You seem to know quite a bit about greenhouses. My lovely wife has been wanting one for a long time. Ann has given many pointers and we are learning. You seem to know the terms for all the parts required. Is there a book or a web site that explains all these parts?

We would prefer not to go with PVC. Our concern is the same as Ann has expressed to us. We will be housing valuable plants and do not wish them destroyed by a heavy storm.

Paul

Sounds like you may need

hi
    sounds like you need a professional. a hobby greenhouse just wont do. and i dont blame you . i wouldnt ever recomend one for the northern climates. check out this website for dealers near you .
    this cold frame is a duffield of west virginia no website available. but try here.
    www.atlasgreenhouse.com
    1 800 346 9902
    georgia .
    they have a very nice coldframe thats 24 x 96 for 883. frame only
    would make a nice gh . let me know if this is enuf info shepp

ALSO attend trade shows

hi again . you can also attend trade shows in your area . lots of free info availabe at those. lots of people willing to show you there products.
    i dont know of a specific website or book with the parts.
    i do have books but none i would recomend.
    again go to that website. and feel free to ask for there info by mail . those salespeaople from atlas are always willing to help.
    let us know how you make out .shepp

Thank You!

Shepp, Thanks for your input. It is quite helpful.

Ann has spoken highly of you, and I can see why.

We are definitely going with an idea similar to your cold frame. I am going to do my best to keep the costs down though.

My dear wife is ill, but she is a wonderful person, and I want to do this for her. Ann has taught her a lot, and even though I am not good with this pc and web site thing I am learning. And Ann is good at reminding us that we have much to benefit from my learning it.

Many thanks to you for your time. I know from what Ann tells us that you are very busy starting you own nursery business.

Paul

15. Question coldframe

Shepp,

I am in zone 5, so would be similar to your climate. I know you grow a lot of plants. Why are you building a coldframe? Just for winter protection? Just curious as to why. I was planning on covering my plants but with something a little less complicated and smaller. Does it help extend the growing season on either end?

And what will you do with it in the summer? Strip off the plastic? I built a hoophouse about 10x10 and it is too hot in the summer. Next year I'll build a shade enclosure instead.

I see you have a greenhouse as well. Do you heat that and keep it going all winter? I'm trying to understand how you use your greenhouse and coldframe in conjunction with each other.

Lots of questions I know. Enquiring minds....

thanks,

M White

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast