+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shepp's Greenhouse Pictures

Shepp's Greenhouse Pictures

Hi, Everyone!

Shepp sent some of his pictures of his greenhouse to me. As you can tell by the pictures, it is huge and built very sturdy. I am hoping that Shepp will let us know more details about how he constructed his greenhouse. In the meantime, I am sure some of you will have questions. Please post your questions here, so that we may all see the answers...

Click on the link below to see 3 views of his greenhouse:

http://www.landspro.com/page2500.htm

Thanks, Shepp!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

shepps greenhouse pics

hi all
    the first pi c is a interior shot looking west.
    working on installing the exhaust louvers.
    the second pic is looking north overall view
    and the third is exterior shot looking west of the east side.
    with trim needing finished around door.
    my only regret is not having double width doors..
    i bought 21 ft long 3/4 inch schedule 40 galv pipe to make the bows.
    used a greenlee portapower hydraulic pipe bender to bend the pipe. all bends were at a 45 degree angle.
    each bow consists of a 21 ft length and a seven ft length.
    you dont have to stick with these lengths.any size can be created .just play with a rope on a flat surface.to see how
    you want yours.
    for the purlins i used 1/2 inch sch 40 galv threaded on each end
    and used it for the purlins. attached emt clamps (your hardware store will show you what they are) to every bow on each side
    of greenhouse..these are the braces for the length and to plumb each bow.
    i used 1 inch schedule 40 for splices and ground stakes .
    sledge hammered in to the earth ,squared the four corners and ran 3 strings 1 each down the sides and one down the midle at the top.after i had he end bows up.
    divided the length and equally spaced each bow.
    drove the pipes in the ground ,leveled and plumbed each bow ,drilled each ground stake to keep it where i wanted it.
    after they were all done i removed thebolt and used treated 2x6 for the base drilled the board and reinstalled the bolt.
    thats enuf for now. btw i did this by myself in a week of spare time. all kinds of clamps are handy when working by oneself.
    more pics to follow

More Pictures from Shepp

Here are more pictures from Shepp as promised...

http://www.landspro.com/page2510.htm

Thanks, Shepp!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Pictures...

Like most of you have heard me say many times, a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

More Pictures of Shepp's greenhouse:

http://www.landspro.com/page2520.htm

Thanks, again, Shepp!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

emt clamps

hi all
    these are the emt clamps i mentioned in the eirlier post, these hold the purlins ,the length of the greenhouse . on each side .
    they brace it long ways.
    the plastic tie wraps arent cut because they are reusable type.
    the power lines in the greenhouse are wired to a GFCI outlet.
    for my safety and yours!

Shepp,This is a really nice green house and would love to have one this size.I've been talking to a grower that builds his own he got 8 greenhouse 30 by 95 long . He recomended cemmenting in the poles everyone I ask how about every other one he said no everyone because you get a lot of rain run off from the roof and eventaully makes your soil around the poles soft and then here comes a northern wind and grabs the greenhouse and yanks it out of the ground now that would tick me off.
    also he suggest to pack my ground and arch it slightly with a hill in the middle running lenght ways slopping down to the sides,than put down a good grade of plastic ,next your ground cover that way when you water your plants it'll go to the outside of the green house and not stay soggy underneath your ground cover.
    also to save cost use a big hose clamps to clamp your to pipe together instead of a your pipe connector.
    Shepp these are just some ideals I can't say they work for me but for them its great.I hope you don't think I'm being a jerk You have a right to be proud of your green house
    gene
    Gene

WOW!!

I'm really impressed -- this will be the model for my next one!
    Jim Lang

Shepp - a mighty tricky fellow

Beautiful greenhouse. Do you think the bends could be made with a hand bender??

hand bender

hi
    i had one on hand to use but opted to use the hydraulic.
    it was suggested i use it by a proffesional plumber and pipe fitter
    but i didnt.the 3/4 sch 40 will work in a hand bender.BUT you either add or subtract and i dont remember which ,when making the bend. practice on thinwall conduit thats what i did .
    when using the hyd bender i measured to the center of each bend
    on each pipe ,aligned the mark dead center of the bender shoe
    and when i got close to the correct angle , i leveled the part of the pipe that was parrallel with the floor and used a magnetic angle protractor to check my 45 degree ,then went past 45 to about 52 degrees because there is a little spring inthe pipe.
    after a few of these you pay atention to how many times you pump.and then measure thrice.
    it wasnt easy ,and i was darn proud when the plastic went on.
    i gave ann a ph# of a place that builds dandy greenhouses
    and the price is great also. i saved a little money by doing it myself but . i think the challenge of it was more rewarding.

cementing in posts

hi gene
    your right about loosening soil. i gotta laugh a little ,i wished it was softer when i sledgehammered the pipes in .
    i have a friend he has several houses. 3 yrs ago a twister picked up his30 x96 house on one side and slammed in back down.
    all but one post went back in the holes.amazing.bent one bow.
    and purlin.what you say about the hump is correct you want it to drain well.
    i tip i got was that if the house is also built with a twist from one corner to the other diagonal corner they are stronger.
    i didnt argue with him didnt make sense but he puts them up all the time i dont. im glad. here is another tip; when you get a heavy snow turn off the inflation blower so the heat in the house melts it faster allowing it to slide off.
    i dont have my blower installed yet.better get busy.

Beautiful Greenhouse

What is the size of your greenhouse?? And also how high at the sides and the top. I am about 6'3" and if it is too short at the sides I have to bend over and this old bad back just can't handle it anymore.

Gary J

i think its about

hi gary j
    i cant remember ,i think around 3ft or less.it too darn cold to go out and measure it for you.
    thats a nice height for me . iam 5'10" vertically challenged :cool
    gary what you need is a high tunnel.

Dimensions

Ok for sides - what is height at center, width and length. With those numbers I can draw on graph paper and see what height would be about 4 feet out from side which is about where a potting/work table would be.

Gary j

here is all i have

hi gary
    i went out in the cold for you.
    couldnt find the tape measure.
    cant type cause hands are cold
    the house is 16 ft widex48 long
    all bends are @a 45 degree angle.
    take a look at the pics of the peak.
    the two angles are 12 inches apart.
    so the top is almost flat. a 90 degree angle will work if you would rather do it that way. this should help on your graph paper 2nite be glad to give more info email me.
    if i said it was another width in a previous post blame it on CRS

Shepp
    When he said to put a twist diagonal I wonder how much he was actaully talking maybe 6 or 10 inches .It does makes sence it would hold up to winds better from the ends.
    gene
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast