+ Reply to Thread

Thread: thanks Ann

Smile thanks Ann

I hope I do this right. It's a little scary for the first time. I'm usually set up at the flea market on sat. selling my plants but it looks like rain so I will take advantage of the clouds and take some cuttings. It is better on the cuttings if they don't wilt for the first 12 hours, after that they can take a little wilt. Also everyone is starting to bring me seeds. I dry them all very good and keep all seeds in my freezer I have been able to keep them alive for years. Good luck .
    Log Cabin Pat

Thanks, Pat!

You bring up a very good point. Most seeds can be frozen and will keep longer that way. It is critical to dry them out very well. With our humidity being so high, this is sometimes difficult. For instance, we had 94% humidity and no rain this morning.

I will sometimes place my seed in a mailing envelope, seal it, then put it in a jar with silica gel or powdered milk wrapped in several layers of paper towel. The latter may have to be changed out if it becomes clumpy. I put a lid on the jar and leave it in a dark closet for a couple of weeks, then take the envelope out, place the it in a ziploc bag, then put it in the freezer.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

Thanks so much Pat! I'm sure this tip will help a lot of folks.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Question container

What type of container do you use to put the seeds in the freezer?

Thanks,

This site is such a godsend to me!

Judi
    Judi K.

Wink

Hi Judi,

Ann B. uses a jar, in the beginning, of the seeds drying, and then she uses a zip lock bag, to put in the freezer.

Once you have taken the seeds out of the jar (leave them in the envelope) and tuck the envelope into the zip lock baggie, and put in freezer. You also might want to label, with the name of the seeds and date. That way you will always know what you have on hand.

Have lots of FUN!
    Kathy in Ga.

Thumbs up

You guys are great!!

Judi
    Judi K.

+ Reply to Thread