+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making Your Own Seed Starting Mix - A Recipe and Method

Making Your Own Seed Starting Mix - A Recipe and Method

One of the questions that I get asked frequently is what soil do I use for start my seedlings. I primarily use two different recipes with the same method for both.

For very tiny seed, especially those that require light for germination, I use 1 part peat moss to 1 part vermiculite. For larger seeds, I use 1 part peat moss, 1 part vermiculite and 1 part perlite.

Everyone who has purchased one of those large cube type bags of peat moss knows how it lumps up and is difficult to break apart. This is what I do:

Method I - Small Seeds

Step 1. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of peat moss. Heat some water in a kettle until it boils.

Step 2. Pour the boiling water over the peat moss and let it stand for a few minutes. This will smell and be dusty, so it is best to do it outside. Using a long handled and heavy utensil, stir the mixture until most of the water is absorbed.

Step 3. Repeat step 2 until the peat moss no longer has lumps.

Step 4. Add vermiculite until the bucket is 2/3 full. It is best to wear a dust mask to prevent inhaling the vermiculite.

Step 5. Stir the vermiculite into the wet peat moss and you should come up with a light, fluffy mixture.

Method II - Large Seeds

Step 1. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 1/4 full of peat moss. Heat some water in a kettle until it boils.

Step 2. Pour the boiling water over the peat moss and let it stand for a few minutes. This will smell and be dusty, so it is best to do it outside. Using a long handled and heavy utensil, stir the mixture until most of the water is absorbed.

Step 3. Repeat step 2 until the peat moss no longer has lumps.

Step 4. Add vermiculite until the bucket is 1/2 full. It is best to wear a dust mask to prevent inhaling the vermiculite.

Step 5. Stir the vermiculite into the wet peat moss and you should come up with a light, fluffy mixture.

Step 6. Add perlite until the bucket is 3/4 full. Keep wearing your dust mask.

Step 7. Stir the perlite into the fluffy mixture until the perlite is evenly dispersed.

Hope that helps!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Good info!

Thanks for the info!
    I have a cube of peat we bought a couple weeks ago. The stuff IS clumpy. I will have to try the hot water method!
    Good Tip!
    Kathy in Ga

+ Reply to Thread