Recent Blogs Posts

1. End of Summer Part Deux

Well, I was reading my blog from last year, and how funny it seems with yet another bad growing year in the rear view mirror.
    Last year was bad, but this year was worse (third worst since they started keeping records). There were weeks between sprinkles, and record high temperatures. Needless to say, the dahlias did not thrive as I'd hoped, and I did not have one blossom for sale, and had a total of nine entries for my dahlia shows this summer. I lost about thirty varieties altogether. Many ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. End of Summer

Well, the end of summer is coming. I can feel the evenings growing cooler with just a little hint of autumn..... It was a terrible year for growing dahlias. First the spring was too wet, and we couldn't plant. Then we had five weeks with NO rain, and the planted tubers wouldn't grow-- even with watering. Now that we're coming up to September, the dahlias are finally starting to bloom. We might not see flowers on some of the late bloomers, but at least there'll be tubers for next year. Remember, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Always Amazed

It happens every year. A lesson in faith called spring. Oh me of little faith !
    I just took a quick walk around my house looking for signs of plant life. As if I had to ! I was convinced that my mums bought on sale post bloom at the local arboritum were probably dead. After pulling away oak leaves from some of their bases, I was rewarded with a lesson in faith: pale green new growth leaves ! And over where the daylily seedlings lay beneath 5 inch cut mini blinds with the names long worn ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Walking away

The last growing season was rough on me, physically and the winter has not be kind as far as being able to do the things I used to do. It has been hard to really wrap my head around the idea that I have to walk away from growing and breeding my beloved daylilies (not to mention the rest of the gardening I used to be able to do). One hates to admit their limitations, especially when those limitations are coupled with age and the limitations that come with getting old.

Granted, I
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 11-17-2010 :Finally SOME Rain!

I couldn't believe my ears or my eyes but we actually got a significant amount of rain on the over night.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast