PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Bareroot Daylilies

Ann B.
01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
They are bareroot, but if you feel the bags, most feel like they already have 3-6 inches of new growth. Even though you cannot see inside the green plastic bags, the roots and new growth appear to be healthy.

Romantic Rose 3 for $3.96
Final Touch 3 for $3.96
Night Beacon 3 for $3.96

Catherine Woodbury 6 for $5

There was another one that I think was Autumn Red, but shame on me, I didn't write it down. It was also 6 for $5.

These will go fast as there are not that many in the boxes.

I'll report on other bulbs in the 'Bulbs' forum...

Dazed_Lily
01-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Wow ! If I wasn't already in my 'jammies' for the night, I'd be out the door !
Thanks for the DL and peat pellet info. !

Rebecca
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
The biggest and worst drawback of buying Wal-Mart Bare Root Daylilies (or any perennial for that matter) is that oh so often what it says on the package is NOT what you get. Especially true with Daylilies.

Although it may not say so on the packaging, these have been Tissue Cultured by a lab, then sold as tiny single fan seedlings to a grower who grows them out for a year and them mass markets them, mostly to the box stores. I'm sure they try to get everything labeled correctly, but since one daylily plant or root looks pretty much like the next one, there are not guarantees. Plus, I believe the Tissue Culture methods used by some of these mass producers is done in such a way as to get the maximum amount of meristem tissue to replicate itself before they are finally allowed to develop into true plants. I believe by doing this, the genetic information gets "scrambled" thus causing the plants to not bloom true to type. Sporting (which can be a good thing) is more likely to happen, but more often color is muddied, or in some way altered.

My GENTLE SHEPHERD was originally a boxed bare root plant I got from Wally World.. GS is a Diploid, but mine looks like a Tetraploid, have very heavy substance and being a difficult parent, either as a pod parent or as a pollen parent.

Another example is the plant known to me as BURGUNDY LACE. I got it as a prolif from a potted plant labeled as BL. There wasn't just one of this cultivar being sold, but several, all labeled as Burgundy Lace, but none of them bloomed the right color, but more of a muddy, dusty rose. Size was right so I attributed it to the growing conditions at the store. I also took pollen from several of the blooms and used it on both Diploid and Tetraploid blooms; it set seeds only on the Diploid plants. There is a slight chance that it could be a Triploid and I will test that theory this coming season. If it is a Triploid, it will not be able to self pollinate.

Anyway, I just want you all to know that these "bargains" aren't always what they say they are, and that you should be prepared for anything! Personally, I would gown them in pots until they bloomed and then if they weren't what they were supposed to be I'd either plant them where I need some erosion control or I'd compost them! If you're not forgetful like I am, you can save the packaging and the receipt and return it to the store when it blooms something other than what it's supposed to be and get your money back. Of course, you'd lose money on the deal, unless you took it back to them as a bare root plant. Otherwise you'd be out a pot and the potting mix along with all the time and care you put into growing it to bloom.

Just my 25 cents worth!

Rebecca

Ann B.
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Rebecca,

Although I understand where you are coming from, I have to have some trust that the major majority of the plants being offered bareroot are exactly as stated.

You know as well as I do that there is a chance (despite tissue culture) that in field grown daylilies, there is a chance that a seedling will pop up and not be true to the parent.

Now, if it is true that the majority of bareroot daylilies are not the item being sold, then that is a problem that the industry needs to document and detail. Customers need to drive that complaint.

I am not an expert, so I cannot say what percentage of tissued cultured daylilies result in clones or not.

Meanwhile, I am a consumer, and if the product I purchase is not at all like what I wanted to purchase, I have the option to return it. If that option is not available, then I don't buy unless I am willing to take that chance. That is my choice and decision to make.

So, my decision would be to take the chance and deal with any problems, especially when the price is a good one!

Rebecca
01-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Ann,

I only wanted everyone to be aware of the "issues" that come up with such purchases.

Also, protect your resident plants (daylilies) from any possibility of "Daylily Rust" that might have hitched a ride. I wish I could remember everything I've read on the subject of rust, but I can't (it doesn't winter over here, so I don't worry about it). I'll update this post with a link to information on steps to take to safe guard your collection when introducing new plants. The simplest method is a bleach bath, and I need to find out the proper rate.

I still buy Daylilies at Wal-Mart, only I usually wait to see what comes in later in the season that's already in bloom. Heavens, I bought three, no, make that four, last year. The three Tets are all in one BIG pot for right now, the fourth is a miniature - and, of course, I can't remember it's name! The other three are EL DESPERADO, NORTHPORT AND . . . . Oh yeah, BAYPORT!

i have two other DESPERADO plants, this makes three and each one is different! There's the lighter version and the two darker ones. The newest shows more of the mahogany edge that it's supposed to have. I have yet to get the two original ones to either set a pod, perhaps I'll try again this season. I need to study their images and those of some of the other eyed and edged Tets to see which would go together better.

Rebecca

I still like this one best, even if it isn't true to registration!

Dazed_Lily
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Bleach Bath is 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.
I'm glad you mentioned rust. I admit to taking chances when buying from auctions. I do ask but you never know. For the most part my procrastination is probably a good thing in that most DL's start out in a pot until their bed is ready. But admittedly, I did plant some at the very end of the season directly into the bed. I am afraid of rust. Recently, I discovered a lady selling on an auction site and she is from Wichita. She did clearly state that she has rust. She also invited me to join the local DL club. I'm looking forward to that but remembered just this past August when they had their sale. It made me think -Egads who else has rust and did she know she had rust at the time of the sale. I wouldn't consider rust an issue in Wichita but didn't think as far as where did that seller get her other DL's that might have been recently introduced to the garden and did they have rust ? I think the bleach dip is a prudent step.

vicki
01-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Oh Rebecca, just love the El Desperado! That is truly lovely.

Rebecca
01-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Thank you for providing that information for me.

Rust is awfully hard NOT to NOTICE, unless it was still in hiding. At least where you are, the winter season will put an end to it, as it will here - if we ever really get winter, uninterrupted.

Rebecca

Ann B.
01-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Actually, I feel safer purchasing the daylilies packaged bare root than I do in pots on the store floor. There will always be a danger of rust, I suppose, until they find a final cure for it.

I don't have any, or at least any that I can see.

Believe me, big wholesalers are not going to risk the reputation of spreading rust, and if they do, then they will suffer.

The only real problem with purchasing bare root daylilies here is that once placed on the store room floor, they begin to sprout, and they need to be planted soon or they will start to rot in those bags. You can store them for awhile, but the warmth will not keep them dormant.

At least at the warehouses, they have climate and humidity control right up to the point of shipping (or at least they should or they will suffer).

Just like with the plants that you shipped to me, I have to have the pots ready or they will suffer.

Tis' our climate... Things want to grow!

Ann B.
01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
WOW!!!!

I wished you could have all been with me today as I went into our Walmart Garden Center. Those bare root bags of daylilies have sprouted huge fans. The fans made their way outside of the bags and are now anywhere from 8-12 inches tall.

I guess that they will have to bloom before the rest of them are purchased.

I smiled and thought of this thread when I saw them. There aren't that many left, and if Walmart management was smart, they'd let the workers pot them up and use them as displays.

Like I said, they don't stay bareroot in our warmth and humidity for very long.

When I get a chance, I'll take another picture of the ones I dug from my garden, put in large pots and placed in the greenhouse. I'm going to have to divide them once again before they find their way back to the flower beds. They do like the unheated greenhouse environment.

I wonder if that means they will bloom earlier?

LAS! I'm getting anxious for spring! OH! I think I said that already!!!!

Dazed_Lily
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
It amazes me how WallyWorld allows their inventory to go to 'seed'. I've seen lilies, amaryllis,christmas cactus --anything you can put in one of those darn 'decorative' sleeves--up to their pot rims in standing water. Amaryllis bulbs blooming inside plastic net bags, Daylilies lingering a slow death due to drying out in those plastic bags that they put out in the heat. Best I can figure they 1) don't know beans about plants 2) don't know beans about how to move inventory. That's a good idea to pot them up, And as a last resort discount stuff and get it out of there.
I watched a special on CNBC about WallyWorld and some regional VP waltzed into a WM and became enamoured with a palm plant. Next day at the big get together she had a photo of it and asked how many they could get and got the wheels in motion to flood the stores with them. Too bad they aren't looking at how much they are having to expense due to--I don'y know what they call it in retail--but in my industry I call it 'Scrap' or 'Excess and Obsolete'.
Haven't seen the bare root DL's yet but have learned not to play the 'waiting game' as they will rapidly deteriorate.

Rebecca
01-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Great, just what we need, more Palms that won't sell, will end up with a serious infestation of spider mites, be over-watered or not watered enough (the person doing it now , well let's not go there!)

These regional managers and buyers really get o n my last good nerve. They see something they like and think every store in their region should carry it, regardless of what a particular store's market is. 00% of the time the people working in L&G don't know beans about plants, yes, even here! The high dollar item takes priority over live plants, so if there isn't a dedicated associate to care for them, they don't get cared for.

The person who is currently doing the watering just does what she is told: "water the plants", doesn't matter if the plant needs water or not and she apparently doesn't have time to read pot tags or check each plant.

I'm supposed to go out to L&G this Spring to do nothing but take care of the plants and assist the customers with making their selections. I hope to be able to make at least a small difference. BUT, I've been told this before and it hasn't happened. I ain't holding my breath this time, that's for sure.

Rebecca

Dazed_Lily
02-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Just saw the following at my WM-3 per bag @$3.96:
Moonlit Masquerade
Daring Deception
Pardon Me
Lynn Hall
Romantic Rose(I don't think it's registered)
Stella (sorry as I typed that I could hear Brando's rendition in COAHTR)
Brutus

1@1.77 in a bag in a box: Strawberry Candy

Now I will take one minute to rant over what in the world were they thinking bringing in DL's and lily bulbs and all kinds of other stuff when it is still winter; the ground is mud;we still have freezing temps; augh! Can I consult for these dweebs and tell them how to save a bundle. OK ! Tirade over.

Ann B.
02-12-2005, 04:36 PM
The $1.77 Strawberry Candy is a good deal. I bought some of those, planted them in a container, and they are doing great. They are just waiting for their new home in the garden. They are huge already, and one is putting on a second fan. Can't beat that price...

But don't wait! They will not be so nice for very long in a garden center without the proper temperatures and humidity....

Same thing with the others! Don't wait! If you have room for some pots, pot them up until time for planting them outside. Give them just a little light and they will grow. BUT, DON'T let them sit in the bag or the roots will start molding and they will deteriorate fast. You could put them in the fridge for a week or two, but I would rather pot them up immediately and give them a little protection until the warmer weather arrives.

I am green with envy over the selection your Walmart is offering. Ours was not near that nice, but then again, I haven't been there in the last couple of weeks. I suppose I should make a visit tomorrrow and see if anything else has arrived.

Go for it! But be prepared to care for them until spring arrives.

No forecast of frost for the next two weeks. Three more weeks until the last average day of frost.

I am READY!!!!

Ann B.
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Cathy,

Did you see a $1.77 Trojen Tricyrtis toad lily? If you see one, get it. Mine are growing, and I do like the other variety. They need shade, probably more so here because of the heat, but they are a NEAT plant!

Dazed_Lily
02-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Hmmm... I don't recall seeing Toad Lily but may not have been tuned in on that channel. I'll look again...I just checked out Strawberry Candy to see what it looks like and you are right, I might have to get one. My goodness the pot habit is starting earlier this year. I just potted 5 astilbes and put them in the garage.
To compound things, the big bags of Expert potting soil at my closest WM all came in wet--soaked through. So, I buy the smaller one but that means I go through them faster. Just bought a bag today--used some on the astilbe, will use some on DL seedlings I'm springing from the Jiffy torture chamber, and...drum roll please, I have GOT to plant my lilium seeds. I might have to admit that I can't plant all my OTHER seeds(I might end up over on the Seeds thread offering them for adoption).
How did I get from Toad lilies to seed ?! :D

Hey, wait, as soon as I clicked submit I think I got a hazy recollection of something else in those 1.77 boxes with alot of 't's" in the name ..I'll bet it's the toad lilies..hmmm!

Looked them up and they sound like my kinda plant--perennial and blloms late summer to frost--they look so delicate--I'll also bet they'd like living with the Astilbes.

Ann B.
02-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Cathy,

Buy one of those bales of peat that sell for little or nothing.....

Buy some mini (bark) nuggets...

Mix them well!

It makes a cheap mix that you can later add to your flower beds to soften it up a bit.

I can see you now! Grabbing your coat and headed for the nearest W-mart to check out those $1.77's again.

Actually, the $1.77's are not a bad deal, but you do have to take care by potting them immediately, irregardless of what they are. In the warm, garden center environment, they are ready to sprout and GROW! If not planted soon, they will go downhill FAST!

Have FUN!

Tim Sullivan
02-16-2005, 05:05 PM
All this talk about great deals and Wallyworld being a good source of daylilies just amazes me.
Has anyone ever talked plants for a minute with the staff in the garden centers of WW, Lowe's, Home Depot or the like? None I've ever talked with know much about plants or care less. Strawberry Candy of $1.77? Yes, it's a good deal if it's real, maybe. One post above mentioned it starting to develop a second fan. Right now, in the daylily trade, Strawberry Candy (doulbe fan) is going for $4-5 from reputable growers, which doesn't make Strawberry Candy in the hands of people who don't usually know how to even water all that great a deal.

Rebecca
02-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Awe come on, Tim, give us a break! We buy these box store plants because we like surprises! Some of use even know what we are doing and what we are getting into by buying from the box stores. Not everyone can afford to pay $50-75-100 for a daylily.

By the way, did you not, yourself, take advantage of a Wally World special daylily promotion a year or so ago? Remember the 5 for $5.00 bare roots daylily special from 2003?How many of those did you get, 4,5,6 bags to go on a hillside that needed something growing on it that would help control errosion or something?

:)

Rebecca

Ann B.
02-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Tim,

This forum is open to people from all over the US, and I think that is wonderful. Each and every one of us have different experiences.

I have to whole heartedly admit that I am spoiled. Our products at Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes move so fast that normally you miss out if you are there in the particular week that they are delivered.

Our local growers are fantastic about making sure that the quality is high and the price is low. A lot of that has to do with our growing season.

I do caution everyone to purchase bareroot plants when they are fresh, and not after they have begun to turn to mold when left in the bag too long.

Personally, I am amazed that there are not more daylily lovers on the Gulf Coast. They are simply too easy and grow so well.

Perhaps that has to do with the competition of other plants.

I agree. If they don't know how to water a plant, pot it, or plant it, they have no business even trying. But, hey! Maybe, at these prices they will try. I also agree that if you have to teach someone how to grow a plant, then the price goes sky high.

BTW, I am thrilled to have this $1.77 Strawberry Candy. And, yes, our prices tend to be a lot lower here because of how close we are to year around - no frost - environments.

One thing for sure, it is hard to compete with local commercial growers of many plants. They are good. The quality is high and the price is much lower than most areas of the country.

I am sorry that you were offended by the post.

Dazed_Lily
02-17-2005, 10:57 AM
On Tuesday when I bought the toad lily I also bought the Strawberry Candy. I opened about 4 bags and took the second one I opened. I did carefully close and rebox the others. When I got it home I first soaked it just for rehydration purposes because I knew the next soak was going to be bleach and I didnít want it gulping up too much of that ! Then I soaked it in 1 part bleach to 9 parts water for 20 minutes. Then it was gently rinsed and placed back in just a water soak, then I trimmed off any decaying roots and potted it. In retrospect I did leave the foliage alone but I was more concerned about any traces of mold on the roots rather than rust. I am next going to ease it slowly to the outdoors and since cold temps are still here itíll get hit at some point with enough cold to kill any rust should it be there.
All of those boxed and bagged plants are decaying by the second ! I think I found the only toad lily that was acceptable. The irony is that even if they open up those bags, they will then dry outóso the plants with die by rot or dessication. So, as was mentioned before you canít dilly dally and you have to look in the bags.

Rebecca
02-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Kathy.
Just a quick reply. The daylily would be better off if you did NOT put it outside before your last frost. It takes several weeks of below freezing temps to kill rust spores, so a few weeks of cold wouldn't do a lot of good. The bleach bath did more good than any short tern cold treatment.

No sense in risking the plant.

Rebecca

Dazed_Lily
02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
That reminds me..at the Daylily Club mtg which featured a video of Frank Smithís hybridizing facility, Frank sent up two daylilies that were given as door prizes. They were in pots and big and green and wondering what they done to deserve being sent from Florida to Kansas. Anyway much discussion ensued about what to do with them. The concern was rust. I mentioned that I doubt heís got rust. Some theory centered on hurricanes and stuff being blown around(I guess rust spores). So, the plan was put them outside for a night to kill the rust spores(if any). I was the one who mentioned easing them into the cold weather. Iím glad I didnít win one of those couple of hundred dollar babies or Iíd be as nervous as can be(heck I freak out over seeds !-LOL!).
So, forgetting all about rust for a minute, do you recommend keeping my Wal-Mart daylily indoors until it can go outside ? Is mulching heavily and placing against a south wall an option ? Glad I havenít moved it anywhere yet !

Rebecca
02-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Kat,

Just what is your weather doing now, temperature wise, that is. Planting pot and all on the south facing wall and mulching heavily could be an option, but you really don't want the plant to freeze because it could damage the crown, or worse crown rot could set in and you could lose the whole plant.

I'm zone 5a here in Central Indiana and we are into the late winter phase of the freeze/thaw shuffle. Hard on established plants and dangerous on fall planted ones, especially if they didn't get a chance to set new roots. I've already lost a few seedlings and they went into the ground in late May, early June.

Personally, I'd put it in the coolest room I had with the best light available, even if it meant getting a cheap shop light and rigging up a way to hang it over the plant and in the window. The cool temperatures would keep the plant from expending a lot of energy on foliage growth, although it would still grow roots. You'd also have to keep it somewhat on the dry side.

An unheated garage would do as long as it didn't get too cold (below freezing for more than a few hours).

Rebecca

Ann B.
02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh, MY!

I learn so very much from listening to you all...

The temps in my garage never go below freezing, despite the fact that we have it so that the garage door is up 4-5" for dear 'Blue', the stray cat who decided we are now home.

One thing I might add is to watch out for aphids. Aphids love the tender new growth of any plant.

I think Ivan may have run off some of my lizards because I saw some aphids on one of my daylily divisions in the greenhouse, and you bet, I ran for the insecticidal soap.

Perhaps it was not Ivan, but simply the fact that I didn't have time to gather my little critters from here and there and put them in the greenhouse to get their treats and warmth.

In any event, just watch out for critters when you are overwintering in the garage or house.

I enjoy learning from your experiences. We are exepecting temps in the upper 30's tonight, but still no frost for the next couple of weeks.

I am crossing my fingers, and thinking about all of you that are all experiencing freezing temps!

Brrr...

Dazed_Lily
02-18-2005, 07:38 AM
OK SC and the toad lily will go on teh daylight window ledge in the basement-it faces south-gets some sun but the window is nearly basement wall height but with a cement 'well' enclosure right outside. I'll cover the soil surface with sand or something to fake out the fun-gus gnats ! Thanks !